Respected Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of NOVEMBEr 29

Good morning. Back from church for a bit...have a 3 hour rehearsal this afternoon for the Xmas concert.

it was very chilly ..39 when I left at 7. And there was minimal heat in church so my fingers are still thawing out.  I am putting an extra quilt on the bed tonight.

mollie and syd made it home safely. Sydnie is anxious to get her gerbil back. It was fun having them here.

nothing to report..I will check back after I get home this afternoon.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of NOVEMBEr 29

Good Morning/Afternoon!  Thanks for getting us started, Barbara.  It was even colder here -- only 28 according to my phone.  I think it is up to 50 degrees now.  Hope your choir rehearsal goes well.  I don't think I could spend that much time at church, but I know you enjoy singing.  Glad Syd and M made it home okay, and you had a nice visit.  

I was under the "old" civil service retirement system where you don't pay Social Security, just the government pension.  Since I spent most of my time working at the government, I don't have very many quarters of Social Security earnings.  In many respects, the "old" system is better than the new (better benefits), but there are some good things about having SS as well.  Not going to happen for me.

Call me a cynic, but I think maybe they don't like to give the Alzheimer's diagnosis is that you cannot go back to the doctor who was treating you for that condition if you go into hospice.  Another words, DH could not go back to the neurologist, or at least Medicare would not pay for it.  That isn't a big deal to me since he didn't do much of anything.

I have been reading about hospice, and I'm feeling a little better about the whole thing.  Seems to be pretty easy to get out if you don't like it, and DH could still go to the other doctors, day services, etc.  No rush, and I'll take my time to decide.  

Hope your sister was successful with the landlord, Claudia.  Also hope all is going okay there.  You have your hands full with your furbabies and R, etc.

I will be leaving for the gym now.

Have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Your AZ temperatures this morning were like the ones here in the east. Unfortunately ours didn't warm up. I took a car load of donations to GoodWill and Salvation Army this morning. I hope to find more to donate before R gets home. I just can't get things done when he's home When he bowls evenings I'm too tired.

Linda, I'm glad you feel more comfortable about Hospice. I thought you were probably under the old civil service retirement system. My college roomate is under it.

No word yet from my sister.

Barbara, I hope the rehearsal went well. That's a long day for you.

R called and said part of a tooth broke off and there's a jagged edge. He'll be calling the VA when he gets back. He does have an appt. on the 7th but that's for the partial.

Respected Contributor

Good morning. It is another cool day here. M said they may get up to 8 inches in f snow by tomorrow. I had an early massage and then picked up some groceries. I am going to visit my friend from Canada this afternoon.

my joints make me feel like the tin man..lol. Just called for some prednisone.

claudia..hope Eileen can keep the kitten.  And that r did ok with the hunting camp.  Good luck with getting rid of things...that is an ongoing project. I told syd we were going to spend a day organizing her stuff.

she got a letter from Santa and was very excited. I love that she still believes.

linda, you will make the rules get decision about when it is time for hospice. You can always move him in and out of it. I think it would give you a lot of support. Glad sil is doing well...dd must be delighted.

i will check back

Esteemed Contributor

Cold again here, Barbara.  I have the space heater facing DH on the sofa, and he has a throw on him.  Still cold.  I was so cold that I ordered another space heater for the office and/or bedroom.  It is very chilly in the office, so that will probably be my first choice.  Hope the medicine helps you -- who wants to feel like the tin man?  Hope the snow isn't a problem for M and Syd.  Glad Syd liked the letter from Santa.

Hope you aren't too cold today, Claudia, and your sister has good news about the kitten and R did okay at hunting camp.

I found out that one of our neighbors is in a coma and ICU at the hospital.  Very sad -- he is a nice man who lost his wife a few years back.

DD said DGS's car needs a replacement tire, which they will buy on Wednesday.  It may be more than one if they can't find a matching one.  Meanwhile, middle DGS is trying to register for college, and I will need to get money out of the college fund for that.  Oldest DGS will need to talk to an adviser about what he needs for registration.  Unfortunately, his college fund is already spent, so that is all on me.  Another expensive month.

We had strong bones this morning -- none of the "older" members showed, but we had a good time.  We may add some yoga for bone strength one of the ladies read about.  I will miss next Monday (taking DH to PT), but hopefully they will carry on.

DH has a dentist appointment at 12:30, so I need to make lunch soon.  I've been shopping on-line a bit, but nothing too exciting.  I did find some earrings for DH to give to me (gold hoops from here) -- I keep losing my hoops for some reason.  

Hope both of you have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

No word from Eileen. Maybe no news is good news.

It's another chilly day. It says 40's but it sure feels closer to low 30's.

Good idea to ask for the prednisone, Barbara. Being the Tin Man is no fun.

R texted that portions of a back molar broke off leaving jagged edges so would I please contact the VA dental. They had a cancellation this morning but there's no way could have made it. Instead they are squeezing him in Wednesday. He was actually willing to skip senior bowling. That put a stop on my reorganizing for now. I had to make several calls and the motivation got up and left.

I'm glad your sil is doing much better, Linda. Hopefully a tire will be found to match DGS's tires. Sorry about the expensive month.

Respected Contributor

Roust returned from playing cards. I have choir rehearsal in an hour...decided not to let people bother me.lol

v has developed a knee problem..he is really limping but will he do anything about it?!! No...men😡  

M said they got a bit of snow and the roads were terrible but she made it to work safely.

linda, hope the dental appointment went well...and that dgs finds a replacement tire.

claudia...it is awful when a tooth breaks and rs sounds pretty bad.

have a great day.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  DH's dental appointment went pretty well, but it took a very long time.  The bad part is that DH needs at least one and maybe two root canals, some fillings, and lots more cleaning in addition to special toothpaste.  The good part is that the dental hygienist and the dentist were wonderful.  Getting DH in and out of chairs, having him do what they wanted him to do with his mouth, etc. were not easy, but they were patient and helpful.  I do need to start using the electric toothbrush to brush his teeth, and that is not easy.  But, the hygienist made some good suggestions.  I had him sit down this morning (it was hard to do when he was standing since I'm much shorter).  But, I haven't mastered the art of brushing his upper teeth yet.  Oh well.....  He will be going to an endodonist in January after our dental insurance kicks in.  No need to pay the full bill.

Glad you were able to play cards this morning and are not letting the fool(s) in the choir bother you, Barbara.  Hope V does agree to get help for his knee, but of course men resist that sort of thing.  Happy M made it to work okay despite the bad roads.

It certainly does sound bad if one breaks off part of a tooth, Claudia.  Glad R was willing to miss bowling to go to the dentist.

The lunch program went fine this morning, and I plan to get my hair cut this afternoon.  It has warmed up a bit, thank goodness.  It was pretty cold here last night and this morning.  The new heater arrived, and I used it in the "office" this morning -- felt really good

DGS will be going to see about the tire tomorrow.  I did arrange to get the money out of the college account yesterday afternoon for middle DGS, so it should be in my account this Thursday or Friday.  I have to say between all the things I had to do yesterday, I was one frazzled mess.  Today is better.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Linda..sorry about all of the dental work dh needs. Up until the last year, either m or I brushed Sydnie's teeth and it was not easy. I think a good electric toothbrush would work well.  I am glad you are more relaxed today...hope 2nd dgs has a good time in college. Isn't your dgd going to graduate early and go next year??  That is wonderful.

choir practice went well....I did a good job of ignoring...lol.

i have a voice lesson in a while..lots of singing today.

stay warm..I have been wearing my heavier sweaters.

Respected Contributor

Sorry about V's knee. Barbara. I hope it starts feeling better. I wondered how M was doing with the nasty weather.

R said he took a file to some of the jagged edges of the tooth. Cringing at the thought. He also fell in the woods stepping over a log and landing on his left back. Yes, the same side he had te hip replacement on. Said it took him the longest time to get up as wondered if he really should have been out hunting. SMH. Luckily he found his glasses. He's off to bowling now and planning to hunt Friday.

Eileen had no luck with her landlord so Thursday when we're at the VA we'll probably meet and get the kitten. She's planning on moving within the year so we

will keep the kitten till then.

Linda, I'm glad the dentist and the hygentist were good with DH. That makes a big difference. I hate those frazzled days.

This morning I donated a car full of items. Some small furniture pieces and a computer desk which I managed to get out of the attic, down the steps and out to the car. I also picked up more dry cat food at Tractor Supply and stopped by WalMart.