Respected Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of May 8

Happy Mother's Day. I am not cooking today so I will let Sydnie pick up where she wants to go.

i need to make a grocery run..have found Monday is not the best day to go because things are not restocked. Plus, I feel decent right now and may not tomorrow.

Pepper was tested for a tick born disease yesterday...nothing showed, but it will be repeated on Friday. She has started eating her regular food and is perk ire than she has been.

Claudia, hope your dogs are better today. Are you packing yet??!!

Linda, hope your night went better than the last one.

i will check back later

Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of May 8

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started Barbara.  Hope Pepper continues to eat better, etc., and whatever she had/has is not serious.  Sounds like a good idea to shop today rather than tomorrow if the re-stocking will not be done by then.  I don't see a consistent pattern here except for Friday mornings are usually very busy.  Never can figure out when stocking is done, especially at Wal-Mart.  Sometimes the shelves are pretty empty, especially when we have our winter visitors.  Enjoy your day off from cooking.

Hope things are going okay there Claudia, and your dogs are behaving.  

DH slept better last night -- only got up once around 3:15.  That was weird since he was sitting at the end of my side of the bed.  I am concerned since he doesn't seem to be able to pee this morning.  Hopefully, he is okay, and I can go to church and the gym.

I'm pretty frustrated with the hospice pharmacy.  They were supposed to deliver his sleeping medicine on Friday, and I called the nurse yesterday since it was not delivered.  They assured her that they would deliver yesterday, and I stayed home rather than go to the grocery store since I was waiting for them.  That required some creative thinking for dinner.  Anyway, I waited and waited, but they did not show.  Now I'm out of that medicine.  

Hope both of you have a nice Mother's Day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Fortunately, DH is okay.  I made it to church, and I'll go to the gym soon.

Respected Contributor

Linda, so good that dh is ok enjoy the gym

i forgot to say that the army must want to keep dgs...I understand good and smart recruits are very valued.

Respected Contributor

No I'm not packing yet, Barbara. Both of us have come down with colds so I started the cold medicine routine. Dinner will be some kind of take out. I'm not sure what.

I'm glad DH is ok. That is terrible about his sleeping aid. I would be very upset, Linda.

Hopefully Pepper will soon be back to her usual self, Barbara. I prefer to get things done when I feel well. R though puts them off.

My cat sitter has had a cold and keeps putting off coming over for keys and instructions. She assures me she'll be over tomorrow afternoon.

Respected Contributor

OMG..I am so sorry LindaL that they did not deliver DH medicine and he is out. That is not acceptable and poor care and negligience on their part. NO EXCUSES at all.

Is there anyway you can get them at your own pharmacy and bypass them all together?? What if it was a medication that had serious implications if not taken such as Insulin or even blood pressure meds??

This is not an isolated incident at all..I have had such good experience with Hospice with my grandmother.

I am the kind that will make waves lol..and after the couple times..I would be going right up that ole food chain. That is totally unacceptable!

I give you so much kudos..as you are doing this without family (and I am not being nasty but just matter a fact...as it is what it is..) that you are doing all the work and of course his children are supportive of you..they darn well better be and should be offering to PAY for your vacation to Oregon.. 

They are jetting off to what is it Germany  for a little R&R and how come they didn't offer to come spend those two-weeks so you can have time away??

You are so wonderful not saying a negative thing at all..and their supportive of you spending his money for his care!! humph!! Again just speaking outloud and not being nasty but just matter of fact again..and I know I am definitely speaking out of line but i  have your back in spirit!

I am very happy that finances are not a issue and he has the funds to cover his care - which is a huge issue to many in these cases they are at the mercy of others.

Not trying to be snarky at all. I work in mental health so my sympathy and compassion is way deeper than many..and I have had family in hospice, my MIL had dementia and I we all lived around each other in a cul-de-sac (DH family) ..DH and I wanted to take turns supervising her and my FIL ..that way they could be maintained in the home a bit longer..my BIL who lived with them and my SIL who lived next to them with her daughter, SIL and granddaughter did not want to..they were too busy..so while there was family issues she went in a local Nursing Home ...it was not a pretty time with family dynamics..

I said then when my Sister-in-law could not longer serve a use to her daughter and family she would find out ..and sure enough she is in her 70's with health issues and can no longer be live in maid, chef...babysitter, and taking care of the entire household so her daughter could work full time and go to college and get her Nurse Practitioner License .. Now my Sister-in-law can no longer do all that due to severe chronic COPD..and on O2 all the time..and cannot do the stairs and all that she used to..they ship her her off to live with her oldest son with a string of excuses. I told DH..karma..we said this would happen..

You have every right to be frustrated at times..who wouldn't be?? You have been only married really a short time - as how many of them did you have before he was dx..not many I think..you deserve every pat on the back you get..

My DH out of the blue literally overnight 6 years ago became disabled and forced to retire...working 50-60 hours a week, taking care of the house, outside etc..just a manly man...he  at least has cognition and his mind.  His short term memory is shot and he has difficulty ambulating but he is home...limited use of his hands due to neuro issues..and is in OT/PT for that ...He has been so accepting of his health...but I guess what else can he do..although many would become depressed and not motivated..I am sure he is at times and frustrated..but he is so positive..thank goodness he we care for him and I have a odd hour job..and then commute too..I have two kids..and they help tremendously. My son moved back in August after he and his GF broke up..she is psycho but another story lol...so he right now is pretty much full time care taker during the day for me..and my daughter/hubby/child lived with us before that so I could work and have somebody in the house..in March they moved out into a rental right next door..literlly 30 feet to their porch..it is a win-win situation ..without our kids we would be at the mercy of agencies..

My son has really stepped up and I couldn't do it without him..so I can't imagine being alone (even if I was retired..3 years..5 months to go but who is counting lol)..juggling/struggling on my own with the assistance of agencies..while they are great - they are not family..

I know I can probably speak for many  who has read your various posts that you are deserving of every bit of praise you receive. You are more than an angel... and you have resided yourself to many things and with dignity and without a pity party...and you are more than entitled to one..such as stating that you will not be gonig to Turkey or whatever other trip you had taken and won't be doing again.... You are a true inspiration and role model to having to step up and go from a loving mature spouse relationship to caretaker...I can't stress enough how much you deserve every bit of praise ..take it! You deserve it..

Now I have digressed and written a book and half.. Heart

Respected Contributor

Coupon queen, many kudos to you for that meaningful post to Linda. I agree with everything you said....including the family comments. Linda is a special person.

that being said, is there another hospice service you could change to, linda. I would think there would be several, especially in Tucson area. They are fully funded by Medicare and I am sure any would be happy to take over. 

It isa nice morning...but rain is expected later. V should be here by noon. 

Poorsyd has has developed some allergies...kids Claritin is helping. She needs to see her allergist soon.

Claudia,,,hope you and r are feeling better....you do not want to start a big trip not feeling well.

i will be back later

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning!  Thanks for all your words of encouragement and support, Coupon Queen.  I called the hospice nurse a few minutes ago, and she is pretty angry at the pharmacy.  She said she will be talking with her boss and the pharmacy, and she recognizes this is just not acceptable.  I may try having DH's DD order a "back-up" prescription for this drug.  She already did so for his antidepressant when I was concerned they would not deliver it on time (they did, but I'm happy to have a back-up just in case.)  DH didn't sleep well last night, so that makes me even more upset that they didn't come through.  But, I really like the caregiver as does DH, and I have a better impression of the nurse now that she is back.  I ran into the male nurse at church, and he told me he really missed coming to our house.  I thought that was nice.  He will be going back to New York for the summer.

There are several other hospice possibilities, and I actually started with a different one.  But, I am hoping they can fix this mess so that I can stay with them.

Both DH's son and daughter called yesterday.  His son said he could come and help me for a couple of days this summer.  But, I said that two days would not really work -- not enough time to show him what to do.  I had not told him about the two weeks of respite care, so I did and he was supporting.  Of course, he is welcome to come for a visit.  

His DD is also planning to come for a short visit, hopefully before her trip to Germany.  I understand where you are coming from in terms of thinking his children should be more involved, but I am accepting that they are not.  My brother was not at all helpful with my Mom after Dad passed away.  She was on her own for nine years, and she did not drive.  So, I was pretty much responsible for helping her out -- shopping, doctors, etc. for all that time.  It wasn't all that easy since I was working full-time at a pretty high pressure job, and my ex wasn't all that supportive.  But, I guess I have always been the "responsible one".  

I'm happy your son is such a great help to you, and your daughter as well.  Also glad your husband has such a positive attitude despite his illness.  My DH continues to be the nicest man, thank goodness.  I don't say if "X" happens, I will not be able to care for him.  But, I am pretty sure that would be the case if he were aggressive and threatening to me as some people with dementia/Alzheimer's can be.  Thanks again for all you kind words.

Hi Barbara -- sorry about Syd's allergies.  Hope you are feeling okay today.  

What a shame that you and R have colds, Claudia.  I sure hope both of you are better when you are on your trip.  

I have a bookclub meeting this afternoon ("On Being Mortal" is our book).  Nothing else exciting.  I plan to take a walk and maybe do a little more de-cluttering.  I have an amazing amount of clutter to work on.  In addition to my stuff, DH collected many things, especially books and office supplies in addition to having way too many clothes.  

Have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I am just catching up on posts now and agree with CQ. I don't know if I could do all you do. I certainly couldn't handle mother after her dementia progressed to a certain point. Of course at that point I was still working and R had numerous issues. I can understand you wanting to keep the same nursing staff especially since DH likes them. A back up prescription sounds like a good plan.

Suitcases are down from the attic but I haven't packed. The oil change is done on the suv and my cat sitter and husband stopped over. I did get the mowing done. R got the mower out but then had a stomach ache. Adam called while I was picking up Griff's medicine. He was seeing about accessing the few hundred in his 401k from his last employer and discovered they had the wrong birth date. Luckily I had made a copy of his military passport as the only other document we found was his baby book.  So we took the verification over and that's straightened out. I wanted him to to start the process before moving as it would be easier and he would have found out sooner about the birth date problem. Oh well.

Sorry Sydnie's allergies are acting up, Barbara.

I'm not sure how often I can post as some reviewers have said the hotel's wi-fi isn't great. I'm so tired of getting ready I almost wish I weren't going. R thinks it's just doing what I normally do. However it's instructions for the kennel plus the shot records and license proof, cat sister's instruction, meds for R and the dogs, bills and on and on.

Respected Contributor

Good morning...another cool and rainy day...will be like that all week.

Pper got sick from the greenie treat ms dr gave her. Ms friend, the vet, said she thought that was the issue as soon as m told her.,so now she gets to eat rice and chicken for a week.

v made it home safely...he did not have to bring home much stuff this year...yippee. He enjoyed the visits with our other kids and grands.

Claudia...you really have your hands full...I hope you can enjoy your trip. When I get over whelmed, I try to break things down onto manageable parts. (((((Hugs)$$$$

i feel very fortunate to be in the situation I am with v. He has his physical issues but there is no comparison to what you 2 have.

Linda, hope you have dhs drugs by now. The pharmacy sounds incompetent...I think a back up supply is a great idea.

i have my physical in a bit. Will check back later.