Esteemed Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS: Week of May 31st

[ Edited ]

Good Morning/Afternoon!  Hope your trip home is going okay, Barbara.  Also hope things are not too difficult when you get there -- I'm sure moving won't be much fun.  But, at least the house is sold.

News about the space launch was one of the few positive stories I have seen these days, Claudia.  Something very special about our astronauts being on a U.S. craft launched from the U.S. instead of one from another country.  

Sorry R wasn't feeling well, and hope he is better. Your grass will probably be quite high by the time it dries out.  

We had some rain yesterday evening, and it cooled things down, which was nice.  But, it was hot on my early morning walk, and it is already in the 90's at 11:00 a.m.  Fortunately, it should be cooler tomorrow.

Church on the computer was good.  They start with a collage of pictures from the congregation -- doing various activities in and outside the church, plus some wonderful pictures of the area and cactus. 

I saw in the very local newspaper that the food bank (it is on church property and started by church members) would like to continue to have help from the National Guard after their time is officially over.  They have many more clients picking up food plus there are not as many volunteers.  Many of the volunteers are older, plus quite a few are "winter residents".  So, more clients, less helpers.  In addition, they are giving out large boxes of food (directly to client's cars), and the boxes are heavy.  They are asking that people write to the governor to ask that he keep the Guard here, and I plan to do so.  

Other than that, nothing at all exciting planned.  

Hope both of you, your husbands and furbabies have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- Looks like oldest DGS and his fiance/wife made it home from their time at the beach in NC.  I don't think they did any swimming or were surrounded by crowds at the cool and often cloudy beach, but they were with some members of her family.  Hopefully, everyone will be okay.

Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS: Week of May 31st

Last night, just as I was considering calling it a night R said he didn't feel well-known upper chest and left arm pain. So over to the er we went. They had a hand washing station outside. I was able to wait in the lobby wearing my mask. 6 hours later after blood work and a ct scan to check for blood clots we were  home (about 3 am). Needless to say this is not one of my better days. I need 7 hours of sleep to feel human.

Barbara, I hope your travels are going well.

It's just as well R didn't feel well Friday and Saturday so we didn't attempt calling hours or funeral service for his combat buddy. It would have meant going to the Cleveland area and back, a 6 hour round trip.

Linda, I hope your local food bank can continue to have help.

The yard is mowed in back. R did most but kept stopping and checking the mower. The garbage bags are ready to go out front. I'm not sure I'll get to the vacuuming and dusting upstairs. 

Esteemed Contributor

So sorry to hear about R's pain and having to go to the ER, etc., Claudia.  Hope you can get some rest. You must be exhausted.  Glad R did the mowing, but hope it wasn't too much for him.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  It is 98 degrees here, and that is supposed to be the high for the day.  Plenty hot for me.  Very, very quiet here.

Wonder if you made it home to MN, Barbara.  If so, hope you, V, and Pepper are doing okay.

Also hope you, R, and your furbabies are doing okay, Claudia.

It is a very long story, but it seems that oldest DGS and his wife/fiance may be moving to a condo owned by one of her cousins.  No more than a one year lease, and not far from where DD and family live.  DD and my SIL are trying to convince "Army" DGS to move with them since his friends are planning to rent a house in Baltimore which is pretty far from where he works (but near their work).  In the condo, he would have his own room and bathroom which would be better than the house his friends are considering.  

Meanwhile, DGD has a new assignment which requires her to work Sunday evening (not the whole night) since the others will be in India.  

Hope both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. The bookclub meeting may be back on -- only four of us participating.  But, I am waiting to hear more from the host.

Respected Contributor

Linda, here's the situation Adam had after renting a house with friends.At one point his housemates had a party where the city police showed up and they not Adam were charged with underage drinking. Adam had been in his room. Later  while he was away with the Army for a physical fitness challenge they decided to give up the house and move. I well remember it because it was the February after I shattered my femur. Bryan had just been born and we were heading for Saratoga Springs to see him. Adam's buddies showed up at the door that morning with no warning with most of his furniture and belongings. There I was with a walker trying to find places to stash his belongings. Some of his things he never got back. I would vote for elder brother and fiancee. One of these "friends" was a very good friend .

We got the 2nd estimate today and are much happier with it. This one listed the front porch, back porch, and the 3 windows in separate estimates plus listed materials and what was to be done. The first estimate listed just replace the the porches and the price. Both listed pressure treated lumber. However the first listed vinyl coated railings. For the price he gave both porches should have been composite wood. This 2nd estimate is right in the ballpark of what my guess was and was detailed. We also asked to add the 3 windows I wanted replaced in R's so-called man cave. It will most likely be fall before it gets done because of their schedule but that's the case with either contractor.

However the contractor is coming late afternoon tomorrow to measure the Windows which means a frantic bout of organizing.

Barbara, I hope you're home by now and able to rest. I know Sydnie will be delighted to see the 3 of you.

Respected Contributor

we made it back safely. The trip was long but uneventful...we had 2 12 hour days in the car. It was longer because we stopped for Pepper every 2 hours or so. I always found grassy places for her. A couple of stops even had dog parks!! Yesterday was about 9 hours.

it is hot and humid here?that will be an adjustment, 

m has packed almost everything so I am glad that I brought home what I did. Eventually when we go through the gArage I will find things.

i will read through your posts later.

Esteemed Contributor

That is some story about Adam's rental experience, Claudia.  DD is trying to appeal to DGS' good sense, but.....  Of course, these are his dear friends.  One of the many issues is the location -- it must be in the city of Baltimore.  That is not close to where DGS works, and not a particularly safe area (at least any place they could afford).  So, car insurance would go up, etc., etc.

Glad you like the second estimate better.  Sounds more reasonable.

That was certainly a long drive, Barbara.  Hope you are feeling okay.  Funny about everything being packed away.  Good thing you brought clothes with you.  It isn't as dry this week as it was -- we have been having little showers in the afternoon or evening.  Not enough to do a lot of cooling or watering, but not as comfortable as far as I am concerned.  The dry heat spoils me.

It has been another quiet day, but I did go to the library to pick up my DVD's that were on hold and to the ATM to get my "allowance". I like having a little cash on hand just in case.  I'm really dragging due to lack of sleep last night.  I have forbidden myself to watch the news at night too close to bedtime.  Just too upsetting.

Hope both of you, your husbands, and furbabies have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Sometimes it works if you present all the pros and cons and then step back and let them make their own decision, Linda. I've found that sometimes people "just dig in their heels" the more you try to persuade them. I don't know if Adam would have got belongings back of we'd left before his "friends " turned up unannounced.

glad you got your dvds and hope you sleep better.

Barbara, that's great that M got so much packed (maybe a bit too much when it comes to clothes). Try to take it easy after your long trip.

The windows  are measured and I am tired after rearranging the attic and vacuuming, cleaning the bathroom We put Griff in the kitchen and of course he loudly protested that he needed to protect us. We crated Tippy as she still gets carried away and jumps. After the contractor left I released the dogs and opened the stairway door to go upstairs and let the cats out of the bedroom. Before I could start up the stairs Griff pushed past and hurried up the stairs . He's not done that before. Of course Tippy hurried after him. Called Griff back down and once he saw no one was upstairs he went back down. Tip was a different story. She got part way down, decided the steps were too steep, turned around and started back up. We finally got her down.

Respected Contributor

good afternoon...kind of a crazy day. I am still very tired but cannot rest quite yet.

The plumber came and had to remove the shower door to straighten the toilet. We will need to replace it with a custom made door or putv$ in escrow. M was flipping out so she called our realtor . Yikes. I haven't talked to her yet. 

the radon abatement is going to be a chunk of change..oh well.

i wish m would settle down..but I do not think that is going to happen soon.

it is a nice day..turned the ac off. 

Pepper is hilarious on the wood floors..she goes skidding each time she rounds a corner at full speed."Lol

Linda glad you got more sleep last night.hope you get your dongle going.

claudia..all of this moving stuff is exhausting.good that you received a better bid for your porch.

have a good rest of the day.🥺

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  I know DD is taking that approach with "Army" DGS, Claudia.  She pointed out that they were supportive when when was planning to get a place with one friend halfway in-between their workplaces.  But, we will see.  He is one who is unpredictable at best.

Sounds like you have been doing a bunch of work plus keeping up with your furbabies and husband.  Hope today wasn't too busy/difficult.

Sorry things are crazy there, Barbara.  That is something about the shower door, etc.  Very hot here, which was expected.  I think I am becoming too sensitive to heat and cold, which I know is common as you get older.  But, not fun.  Glad your weather is nicer, and hope you can settle down a little.

DGD had a very bad reaction to the medications she was given, so the doctor is taking her off of one and changing the other.  As I mentioned on the other thread, oldest DGS is back at work getting the store ready for opening on June 15th.

No dongle, unfortunately.  The audiologist was on crutches.  Somehow he hurt himself while swimming  The doctor said nothing was broken, but he damaged his tendon and needed to keep off his feet for a couple of days, ice it, and use crutches for a week.  If things don't improve, he will need surgery.  I was surprised since I never heard of someone injuring themselves while swimming, but he might have done something when he got out of the pool.

I chalk it up to the distraction of his leg issue, but he seemed to have forgotten all about the dongle.  He called his supplier, but didn't follow-up.  And, the dongle did not arrive.  He called me this afternoon to say that it will be coming (no charge), and set an appointment for next Wednesday for me to get it.  Oh well....

My work buddy called and said her Mom isn't doing well in the rehabilitation facility -- hates the food, doesn't think they help her enough, etc.  She is also not wanting to live longer.  Very sad situation. 

You may have read on the other thread about the sad situation with my ex's nephew.  I knew he had a severe alcohol problem, but it seems like it was even worse than I knew.  He was living with a nice lady who was supporting him (he had lost his job, had no insurance, etc.), but she doesn't want him back if he lives.  Quite a difficult situation for the family.  His sister flew in from Texas to be with him, but she will need to go back to work soon.  My ex brother-in-law is the one who is ill, depressed, and has very little money. 

I am happy that I was able to sleep last night, and enjoying a very quiet day.  Hope both of you, your husbands and furbabies have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda