Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of May 29

Good Morning!  I will be taking DH to day services shortly.  Feeling much better today, thank goodness.  DH got up three times last night, but I was able to get back to sleep and did not have pain or troubling thoughts.  

It should be very hot here today and even hotter tomorrow.  I'm closing all the blinds very early to help keep out the heat.

Hope both of you have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I am resting after getting stuff ready to go. We have a few extras like gifts for 3 birthday gilts  and laundry. I am sore today so I decided to sit. M and v are at syds track and field day,  it is raining off and on with storms doe this afternoon so I am sure they are trying to get through it quickly.

linda, there is a wonderful article on FB about a woman dealing with her dying husband . It might help you..one of my closet friends died of a glioblastoma 3 years ago and her husband cared for her. I think your caregiving is much more demanding physically. The idea of an antidepressant was a good one too. That is a decision one has to make in their own. 

The he care facility must be very nice. I know my bil said that my sil has been very content where she is. I put helped me understand when you said dh took care of his wife.  You are in my prayers.

Claudia, glad you got the refrigerator. I agree that appliances are not made as well as they used to be. 

We we should have a fun weekend . Kaylie and Miey have their dance recital,on Sunday. It is much lower key than Sydnies. Kaia, the new 4 year old calls v "moms dad" lol.

linda glad sil got the truck repaired.

claudia..hope you hear from your kids..I am lucky that mine are so good about communicating

have a good day.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry you are sore, Barbara.  Hope you have a fun weekend.

I read that article, and it was most helpful.  It is always good to know how others are coping with caregiving, etc.  I have considered an antidepressant, but I did not really like taking one when I was gong through the separation/divorce.  I decided I would rather be up and down or down and down rather than always so flat (lacking in emotion).  That might change depending on how I feel.  

So hot here today.  But, June is our hottest month.

Respected Contributor

Have a fun weekend, Barbara. Enjoy the lower key recitals, hopefully with no drama.

Last evening we had torrential downpours. The dogs were on the porch and were horrified at the amount of rain coming down.

Linda, congratulations on DGD's graduation. You must be very proud. I'm glad the truck is fixed. I'm sure you'll have good days and days that are not so good and days that are just plain awful. Just take it a bit at a time. I'm so glad you have a support group.

Sometimes it's better to deal with the ups and downs. Mother took a low dose anti depressent for years. After dad died Anne was very upset when mother said she woke up crying and felt she should have a stronger dose. My point of view was she needed to grieve and you shouldn't go through life being " flat".

We did get a call from Whitney today and all seems well except for Adam not pushing himself and off his med. She is going to get him to go with her to the VA making up a fake appt. for herself so he can reschedule his cancelled appt. if that makes any sense. The more you get after him to do something the more he resists which is why she decided to try this roundabout route.

The refrigerator arrived mid morning and the old one was hauled away dripping melted ice across the floors. At least we didn't have to worry about carpet.

Respected Contributor

Good morning..it continues to be cool and rainy. We had pretty heavy rain on the way up here yesterday.  The girls are fine...amie has a lot to do to get ready for their camping trip next week.

claudia, hope the fridge is good. Going off meds is something a lot of folks do...it took m a long time to figure out that she could not do that. Good for whit to get him in. 

Linda..congrats to dgs on his graduation. I am happy that his college is well funded. Have you thought about an anti anxiety drug rather than an anti depressant. ???  Those do not create the flat feeling. And taken only as needed are not addictive. You will figure this all out.

i will check back later.

Respected Contributor

So far no problems with the fridge. It will take me some time to get used to it. I keep hitting g my head on the freezer door when I reach for something in the fridge.

I hope Amie and family enjoy their camping trip.

R is having an off day. He forgot he was up this northern I came downstairs and forgot he had taken his morning meds. 

I have a load of laundry to put away. I carried it as far as the dining room. Now I just need to get it upstairs.

Griff keeps licking his right front paw. The skin between the pads is reddish. I have an appointment Tuesday to have it checked after we get back from having R's staples removed. Monday wouldn't work because of R's endoscopy.

Esteemed Contributor

Glad the girls are fine, Barbara.  Sorry about all that rain.  We could use some here, but no dice.  It is so hot here they are suggesting you stay home in the AC after 10:00 a.m.  I know it reached at least 103 yesterday (maybe 105), and today and tomorrow should be hotter.

I am giving DH an anti-anxiety drug, but I have never considered taking one myself.  I think I can work this through, but if not I will keep that in mind.  I sort of wish the doctor had suggested that when I was dealing with my ex.  I wasn't able to sleep or eat much, and I am pretty sure that was anxiety.  Oh well....

Happy you have the new refrigerator, Claudia, and I hope you get more and more comfortable with it.  Sorry about R being out of it, and Adam not taking his meds, etc.  Sounds like Whit has some good ideas about how to get him to the VA.  A couple of the caregivers were talking about their husbands taking medicines at the wrong time, not taking medicines, or trying to take extras.  I guess I'm lucky DH doesn't do that sort of thing.  The nurse is supposed to bring me a pill crusher to help with the nighttime medicine -- he keeps forgetting to swallow it, and I have quite a time with that.

Hope Griff is okay.  One of the former posters on the other thread (Kelli) was very concerned about her dog (hurt her eye or something), but Kelli could not get a vet appointment until Tuesday).  Of course, you cannot do Monday since R needs to go to the doctors.

DH didn't do very well at day services yesterday.  Was not cooperative in the bathroom, didn't want his pants changed, etc.  Also, he was doing some wandering.  I gave him an anti-anxiety pill when we got home, and since then he has been okay, if very sleepy.

The hospice volunteer came this morning, and sat with him for two hours while I went to the gym.  Very nice lady, and fairly new to the area.  I made a few suggestions for things she could do besides volunteering (joining the "newcomers" club and OLLI), and she seems receptive.  She and her husband just retired in January and immediately moved here from Colorado.  Major adjustment.

Laundry is started, and I have plenty to do, but I'm not much in the "working" mood right now.   I think this heat makes me a bit lazy/tired.  LOL

Hope both of you have a nice evening.

Hugs,

Linda