Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS - Week of March 3rd

That is certainly a very sad situation with Whit, Claudia.  Hope things change for the better soon.  In the meantime, sending extra hugs your way.  Also hope you, R, and the furbabies are doing okay despite the cold weather.

Sorry V's leg is looking so bad, Barbara.  I'm not surprised the doctors are booked, but urgent care around here is not always great -- misdiagnosing, unnecessary tests, referring to the ER, etc.  I think it is much better in DD's area, and I hope it is there as well.  Hope your energy level improves after you start on your medication, and things work out okay with M and your trip to LA.  She is lucky to have you to help out in emergencies.  

Not that it is an emergency, but DD will be wanting help from me to repair their deck.  It is in horrible shape -- including hoes from boards rotted off, etc., and we agree that it is a good idea to have a professional do the repairs.  She is talking about having all the "floor" boards replaced, and it is not a small deck.  They have been living in the house for nearly 20 years, so I'm not surprised that things have worn out.

Just loving this weather.  I took a nice walk in the "garden club garden" -- it is maintained by the garden club, and there is a path/trail behind it that is nice.  Also went to the "farmers market" -- mostly not food but jewelry and crafts, but.....  I met a lady from Turkey selling Turkish  foods.  Her husband came to the area to get his Ph.D. in solar engineering.  We had a nice talk.  I didn't buy anything -- both because of the prices at the market plus lack of need.  The market was mobbed, which was quite a contrast to my last visit in the summer.  Fewer vendors and not many people when the "winter visitors" go home.

Then, I stopped by the nursery, and bought a couple of plants.  My geranium is blooming already -- lovely.  Really glad you told me that they could grow here, Barbara.

Hope to have my hair cut this afternoon.  Nothing else planned.

Have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

It's too bad V 's leg is still bad, Barbara. I hope urgent care can help. It's good of you to offer to stay in LA 2 weeks.

Another cold day here. 14°. I'm hoping for warmer weather.

It's probably a good idea for your DD to have the deck professionally done, Linda. We are debating if the next project will be the porch or the upstairs bathroom. The garden club garden sounds like a lovely place to walk. The farmer's market with jewelry and crafts appeals to me.

Adam told me the bf gave older gs $500 at Christmas and the 10 year old has a 55" tv. Smh. It makes it difficult for their father to compete with that. And of course our gifts are paltry in comparison.

I mailed copies of Tully's medical records into the pet insurance. Hopefully tomorrow I can get to the courthouse and fill out the form for her lifetime license. She has now discovered she can get up on the dogs couch. Griff has competition.

I hope to start on the taxes in the next week. R will have to deal with the dogs as I can't be interrupted once I start.

Esteemed Contributor

Hope you are doing okay, Barbara.  It has been cloudy here, plus a bit windy and cooler.  Seems like we are in for some cooler weather with the possibility of rain.  Oh well, at least no ice and snow or freezing weather.

That is something about Whit's bf, Claudia.  It is a shame that the boys have such confusing times, but hopefully they will figure things out eventually.  Good luck with the taxes next week.  Forms keep dribbling in for DH's accounts.  Really hope that I don't owe too much, at least not more than I kept from his trust account.  I would hate to have to ask for money back from his children to pay the taxes.  

It was a big caregivers day for me -- lunch, meeting, and coffee afterwards.  One of the ladies whose husband died last month was pretty upset since he fell out of bed (he was at the same facility as DH had been), and suffered a serious head injury..  She knew he wasn't going to get better, but she thought that he could have lived longer without the injury. They only put him on hospice after the fall, and he only lived for a few days after he was on hospice.  They had been married more than 60 years, and she is struggling to adapt.  Meanwhile, the lady whose husband died about the same time as mine took three of us on a tour of her new apartment in the continuing care community nearby.  It was a small apartment, but nice.  She is very happy there.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

We had a nice sunny day. after a slippery start to the morning it warmed up to the mid 20's. The dogs played out back for quite a while. 

R hasn't felt well the last few days. He eats a small amount and is uncomfortably full along with nausea and fatigue. His gerd is acting up too.  He even skipped bowling tonight. I'd like him to schedule an appointment with his doctor.  It always seems to be a weekend or close to one when there's a problem.

It sounds like a busy day, Linda. Having your spouse of 60+ years die so suddenly would be difficult to deal with.

Today I was able to get around much better. what a relief. Keeping up with Tippy isn't easy. Griffyn seemed more willing to play which helped. A good puppy is a tired puppy.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon...I did not post yesterday..v wentto urgent care and they sent him to the er because it was not getting better. The dr at the er thought he also had a blood clot in that leg, which tests confirmed.

So he is getting in antibiotics and a blood thinner...he just called and said that he should be home maybe tonight..tomorrow for sure. 

All i I can say is I hope this opus the end of his misery. I think he realizes that he brought on a lot of this by choices he has made with food. 

So..that has been my last 2 days...I need some rest.lol..😜😜

Respected Contributor

When you didn't post yesterday I figured V was probably having problems with his leg, Barbara. The 2 of you have really had quite a time. I hope you can get some rest. It's a good thing you took him to urgent care and didn't wait.

Griff distinguished himself by helping himself to a loaf of bread just out of the bread machine. R got a new bread machine yesterday and just had to test it out. He now knows to keep Griff out of the kitchen when the bread is cooling. 

Because of the height of the clawfoot tub I always have to cut 6" or so off the shower curtain . Finally the light dawned and I googled "short shower curtain". It arrived today from Amazon. Hoping Fitz no longer chews the edges.I

R is feeling somewhat better.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening!  Sorry V has had so many health issues, Barbara.  Hope he is able to come home soon, and does change his diet, etc. if it will help him.  I am sure you are worn out from the experience.  Hope you will feel better soon.

Glad R is feeling a bit better, Claudia.  Naughty Griff with the bread.  Hopefully, R will keep him out of the kitchen in the future.  Hope the new short shower curtain works well.

DGD was not happy because her boss switched her to a different position that she did not want, and reneged on his promise to send her to a different department.  So, she turned in her two week notice today. He was not a happy camper, but she wasn't happy either.  

She will be interviewing at oldest DGS' store (with his boss), and she has a very good chance of getting the job according to DD. She would be her brother's assistant.

Meanwhile, oldest DGS had to go to Philadelphia again on Wednesday (sudden change of plans).  He should be getting back home tonight or tomorrow.  The store where he will work should be opening at the end of the month, and he will need to start hiring soon.  Apparently, the district manager really likes him, which is a good thing.

DD got three estimates for repairing the deck, and she will go with the middle-priced one.  She was considering the lower priced one, but I suggested she go with the middle price since the repair person has a lot of experience which is not true of the lower estimate.  More money from me, but I want to make sure that the job is done right.  I told her to get a written estimate, etc., and get back to me with how much she will need for the first payment.

One of my bookclub friends called with all sorts of sad/bad news about health issues. She needs surgery to help with her rotator cuff issue caused by putting things into the car (the weight shifted.  She really doesn't want to have surgery, but apparently rotator cuffs don't repair themselves.  Not easy getting old.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

It's good your DD took your advice to go with the middle estimate, Linda. When R had the driveway blacktopped again he picked the cheapest. The other company would have put a drain in on front of the garage. This company did not and water pools there. There's also a few dips.

Fingers crossed for your DGD and the job.

Respected Contributor

Good morning...this will be a quick post. V should be home shortly. I have to pick my brother up at Catalina state park for an overnight visit. He has a weekend break on his bike trip. 

So so I am trying to a bit of cleaning..he will not notice but it makes me fell good.  But I have to take frequent breaks. 

Linda. Good luck to dgd on her new job.  I love bougainvillea also but we cannot plant it here.

Claudia..hope Tully is doing well. You might be having not nice weather...8 inches of snow at home.

enjoy 🧸🧸

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  Hope V is home now, and feeling much better.  Nice that you will be seeing your brother, Barbara.  DH and I went to that park once, and we really enjoyed it.  Glad you are taking it slow with the cleaning.  It was very cool here this morning, but thank goodness it is sunny with no ice or snow.   It should make it into the 60's later.

Hope all is going well there, Claudia.  I really believe that going for the cheapest is not always the best idea, especially for services like home repairs. 

DGD really wants to worm/make money, so I'm sure she will find something.  Just hope it is something she likes better than her current job.  Oldest DGS thinks she would be great as his assistant since she is an extremely hard worker and sharp.  We will see.

The caregiver told me it would be okay for me to visit "my" hospice patient this afternoon, and I'm looking forward to it.  Trying to get as much done as possible before I go there.

Hugs,

Linda