Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of June 28

another day...not too productive..but I did pack one box.lol.

The hot, humid weather continues. At least the ac worked well.

I see jjill is coming to qvc.iam not planning on buying, but will be interested to see how pricing and quality compare.

We are getting things cancelled ..utilities, internet, etc.Lots of things to think about.

Linda..think you are smart to do grocery pickup. I still go out rarely. People in our community are kind of going nuts over the restrictions.  It is interesting to read the posts on FB. 

Claudia..hope r can get his hip issue resolved. Avoiding travel might be a good thing now.

Pepper made a flying leap into the house this morning and crashed against the side of the doorframe. She was very surprised.

have a good rest of the day. 😘😘

Esteemed Contributor

Hope that R was able to contact some of the doctors today, Claudia.  Given his health issues, I think travel would not be a good idea.  It is a shame, but...  I think may print out some of the recommendations about places to see in London.  Finding e-mails can be an issue.

Sorry your weather isn't nice and your RA is kicking up Barbara.  There are people here who are very upset over restrictions or even wearing a mask.  And, some places (like Wal Mart) don't push the mask issue.  I have already thought of another couple of things to add to my Wal Mart grocery list, but I will wait until late tonight or tomorrow afternoon to add them.

Getting things canceled can take time and effort for sure.  Hope that all is resolved with no problems for you.

DD took my SIL to urgent care because he has had eye irritation for quite a while, but wanted to go to his eye doctor who was not taking patients.  It was so bad this morning, that DD insisted, and he now is on antibiotics and has also been diagnosed with rosacea plus told not to wear his contacts for at least a day.  Men can be stubborn.  Meanwhile, DGD had a telemedicine appointment, and found she has another ear infection and is back on antibiotics.  Thank goodness DD is okay.

As you may have read on the other thread, I am having my AC and furnace replaced plus having necessary electrical work done.  It is not broken, but is old (2000) and the refrigerant (?) in the AC was banned in 2014.  So, if it did break, I would need to replace it.  I could have used the money for a nice trip, but.....  They will be doing the work on July 15th.  I got a small discount and a surge protector (which would have cost $160) by paying in full.  

I also went ahead and paid my annual registration for OLLI today since I know they are pretty desperate for money.  There are so many worthy charities and organizations that I would like to help.  

The movie "Judy" (I had borrowed the DVD from the library) was very sad, but good.

This afternoon I have an OLLI meeting.  Nothing else of note.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Kids and dogs can both take unexpected flying leaps, Barbara. I remember Adam kept from a chair at Sally's (our wonderful childcare provider for his first couple years) yelling "Batman save me" ! Luckily injuries.

I hope you're able to get all your cancellations done with the minimum of fuss.

R continues to have hip problems with it giving way. The VA called back and he is scheduled locally for x-rays Monday and to see the orthopedic surgeon the 14th.The VA gave us the choice of doing it locally or going through the VA. I opted for local. When the other hip was replaced it was done in Buffalo and that surgeon is no longer with the VA. 

The orthopedic surgeon has only been here a couple years and seems quite good. He's the one who managed to get my shoulder back in place. i know my cat sitter was very happy with him.The other surgeon in town I was not satisfied with. The only pt ordered when my femur was shattered was a couple weeks of in home. I think if there had been the added outpatient pt recovery would have been better.

VA dental also checked in with him and will hopefully reschedule him in a month or so.

Linda, it's a good thing your DD is feeling better and insisted your sil go to urgent care.

My recommendation for London is The Tipperary for a meal. Near Fleet Street and kitty corner from the Old Cheshire Cheese which sadly has changed. I wish we'd been able to do some of the day tours out of London into the countryside. Good idea to make a list of things to do and places to see.

I took the car in for an oil change, tire rotation this morning. This afternoon I went to the drive through at the bank, picked up milk, and stopped at Wal-Mart which was very busy. I suspect due to the holiday weekend and people going to the campgrounds. I wonder if we'll see an upsurge of the virus in a couple weeks. Weeds are trimmed between the fences at least for another 10 days.

This evening I had just persuaded Griffyn he should come in when someone down the street set off a firecracker. Griffyn was off to run along the fence and bark madly.

Linda, I think you made the right choice to replace the furnace and ac. It would be awful to have it break down suddenly.

Respected Contributor

another steamy day...Sydnie and I did the grocery pickup this morning. I was going to let her drive back. There is some freeway involved with 2 tricky merges, and there was a lot of traffic, so I drove.

M has gotten everything set up for her home, including a security system . All I i have left is canceling our security system .we felt strongly ,as did our agent that m get a good one. We have had ours for years. 

Linda..we have a heat pump / ac unit...ours will need to be replaced in the next year or so, but we have the $$ put back for that. I would love to go to Europe again, but our mobility is too impaired for that .v would like to cruise again, but until the virus is resolved that is out of the question.

Claudia..hope r gets his hip issue resolved soon. V let his go too long and the surgery was more difficult because of that.

everytime a firework is set off here, Pepper jumps..but she is not afraid. 

enjoy the rest of the day. 🤓🤓

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry that R's hip is bothering him so much, Claudia. Glad he has some appointments, and I hope he gets relief soon.  Thanks for the recommendation for London.  We had another interesting lecture today.  I am starting to wonder about Prince Andrew.  I saw a documentary about Jeffrey Epstein, and it painted a very bad picture of the Prince (and Jeffrey, etc.)  

I hope the virus cases don't increase in your area.  I guess the only advantage Arizona has is that being the top or close to top hot spot has made some people take notice.

Despite not driving back from the store today, Syd is certainly getting a lot more driving practice than I ever got, Barbara.  My Dad wasn't thrilled about us driving, and my Mom didn't drive.  So, I didn't get a lot of practice when I had my learners permit.

I guess I am not surprised that your mobility problems may not permit you going to Europe, but it makes me sad.  I am glad you did travel a good bit when it was easier.  Hopefully, you and V will be able to take a cruise once the virus problem is mitigated. 

The more I think about it, the more I think it is a good idea to go ahead and have the AC, furnace, etc. done now.  I won't be traveling this summer (and probably not the rest of the year), and I don't want to even think about living without AC here.  I had some "undesignated" money in my account which will cover most of the cost, and the rest will come out of savings.  A trip would be more fun, but.....

The grocery stores were okay this morning, and I was able to get some nice produce. I will be working on my Wal Mart order one more time before I pick it up tomorrow.   I raced around trying to get to hospice, prepare the mailings, and the Post Office (they told me not to come until after 3:45 p.m.), and the Post Office was closed by the time I got back.  I went ahead and put it in the mail box.  Just not possible to get things done that quickly.  Oh well....

We have had a little rain today, and our temperatures have gone down, which is great.  It is supposed to be hot again starting this weekend.  DD said my SIL's eye and face are getting better, and she found that one of the medications (not Rx) is much less expensive on Amazon.  They are celebrating the holiday tomorrow since oldest DGS and wife will be celebrating with her family on Saturday.  

Hope both of you and your families have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Given the heavy traffic it was better for you to drive back and let Sydnie observe, Barbara. Holiday traffic can be crazy and there are many determined to travel after staying home. Wiser to be cautious but too many people lack common sense. I'm glad M has a good security system.

94° here today. R went to the range to test fire. We have now had 7 cases of the virus and 1 death. Rumor has it that the person who died had been hospitalized in another county.

The other evening I went down cellar to the freezer. Soon I heard the pad of canine feet. I looked up the steps and there was Griff on the landing. He looked at me as if to say oh, it's just you ma and then went back up to the kitchen. He has to check things out. Unlike Sammy the fireworks don't panic him but he runs the fence line barking madly. Poor Sammy if he were out would try to climb the fence and if in would shake. If course we tried to make sure he was inside for scheduled fireworks but there was always someone in the neighborhood that would set some off randomly.

I was happy they were cancelled for this year but then someone set up a Go Fund Me.

We still have hopes of one last trip (R says more but I think I'm more realistic) to either Ireland or Scotland. Meanwhile it's getting remodeling projects done.

Respected Contributor

A trip would definitely be more fun, Linda. However air conditioning is a must have. You don't want to be without even for a short time.

Respected Contributor

good afternoon...there are no public fireworks here, but there are plenty in the surrounding area. I figure it will be noisy for the next 3 days. 

we finished doing a bit more packing and tossing in the closet in m's office closet. I need to tackle the closet off the family room..actually want to pack it up. But that is tomorrow..

another hot, humid day, which plays havoc with me. I work and then sit for a while.

Linda, I do hope you can travel soon..but I really wonder f and when things will quiet down. I have read some experts saying that it may take 2 more years. Things still seem pretty bad in Az.

Claudia..Hope you are having a good day. 

I order syds mixer from the Q...I have done a lot of pricing and ther deal today was very good. She said that she plans on baking a lot in the new house.

Enjoy your day.💥💥

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening.  It is "only" supposed to make it to 97 degrees today and dry as usual.  Although I went for my walk early, it started to get pretty warm by the time I got home. And, it was very hot when I was adding salt to my water softener a little while ago.  Hope your weather is okay, Claudia. 

I think there may be some fireworks in the next town, but they are not allowing parking in the area, and people are supposed to watch from home.  I heard a report on the radio about all the fireworks that are going off in New York -- really loud and every night.  

That is an excellent price for the mixer, Barbara.  The one my ex gave me years ago (larger, but...) cost well over $300.  Interestingly enough, my DGD also loves to bake -- like her Mom and Grandma.  When she went into work, she often took in baked goods, particularly cookies.  I did that for a while myself.  Both she and youngest DGS have to work some this weekend despite the holiday.

Sorry the humidity is bothering you, Barbara.  Things are getting worse and worse in Arizona, particularly in the Phoenix area.  According to the State "dashboard", there are more than 90,000 cases in the State.

My Wal Mart pick-up went quite well, so I will probably do that again next week.  I had purchased a special tofu "kit" at the Safeway yesterday, but I discovered it had expired in May!  So, I went to Safeway again today -- not a happy camper, but they were apologetic.  I decided just to do without rather than trying to find a package that had not expired.

As you may have read on the other thread, one of my old friends has cancer (liver and spine).  She thought she might have COVID, but.....  She is taking chemo, and apparently it is pretty advanced.  Very sad for her.  As far as I know, she never married or had children.  Quite artistic and musical.

I'm sure glad I took my trips last year, especially to Italy.  Really hope I will be alive and able to travel when things open up again.

Hope both of you and your families have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good luck with the packing up and tossing,Barbara. It does sound like you've made lots of progress.

This afternoon it was 95°. I decided to hold off on mowing. Too darn hot. I did do a couple errands. There were more vehicles on the road than I've seen in 4 months. The one small grocery was crowded. Lots of trailers and people stocking up on food and ice. I wonder what the virus count will begin a couple weeks.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Linda. Like you I'm glad we travelled when we did but hope in a year or so we can again. It's great the Wal-Mart pickup went well. Tuesday's or Thursdays might be good days to go. Many shop Wednesdays when the Social Security payments arrive and of course Fridays can be crazy.I

My Linea tank and shirt arrived in black.