Super Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of July 16

I have Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. Not any where near as big as yours but still large and determined! They also are very alert and miss nothing. They are powerful swimmers and excellent fetchers! My bitch rules the house and keeps the boys in check. But they are forever watching and waiting for her to slip up.I think that they feel they should rule by majority! We have dog hair in the air here as well...Shades of brown fur clog up everything! We also have snarky behavior and sometimes some one will get his fur ruffled and pout! Some times I have to separate the two younger boys when the ruff-housing gets to be too much....my husband is more of a litter mate than the master!! He isn't too much of a authority figure around here at least the dogs don't think so! Everything that you mention about your dogs and your husband has happened here too! But I wouldn't trade all of the kerfluffles for all the tea in China. Oh my dogs are named Leroy, Harold, Boone, Miss Peggy Sue. (I'm a Buddy Holly fan!) Last week the boys managed to snatch an entire package of pork chops and they had a feast! So we ate grilled cheese and soup instead!
Respected Contributor

They'll help themselves to everything they can reach won't they? Love their names. I lost a beef roast one time. Oddly none of our newfies and we've had 4 over the years liked water. As for the pyr he'd rather not get wet. My husband used to be pack leader but I've had to take on the alpha role. Without the boys the house would be neater but our hearts empty. Next door is in their backyard and guests brought a large dog. I heard him barking when I was upstairs feeding the cats and Griff of course heard him from the living room and started barking. At least he quieted down when I came downstairs. There's only a distance of 5 to 6' between our houses. Now that I've picked up shorts for R in a larger size and ordered dress pants too he has started dieting. Hopefully something will fit for his reunion and he'll no longer have to wear the collar.
Respected Contributor

There are strong storms predicted for later today...hope they do not come. 

I had my infusion ion earlier today...will see if it works this time. I am still going to ask my dr about a different medication. 

I need Ed to go and dust, seep and reorganize the basement but will not do that today. Still have not gotten the windows washed...I may have that done professionally later on. 

Linda..read about the drama at dhs facility on the other thread. Unfortunately there are patients with dementia who become very violent. My aunt was removed from a facility for that reason...fortunately my cousin was able to find a place more equipped to handle her and with the appropriate medication, she did settle down. It does not sound like Dh was too bothered with it.

Claudia..hope rs new clothes fit. Funny about the dogs snatching food. Amie's beagle once ate an entire pizza. Lol.

decided to take syd out to lunch. She wants to go to a new fast food place...not my cup of tea. Lol

have a good day.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning!  Hope the infusion works, and your headache is not too bad, Barbara.  Also hope the lunch out isn't too hard on you.  I imagine you will not be very hungry, but....  

Thanks for your response about what I shared on the other thread.  I was wondering if the lady will come back to DH's facility.  I do not think they can force people to take their medication, and this may be the issue.  They do offer medication and tell people to take it, but I have seen others absolutely refuse.  Not sure if that is due to the type of facility or a law/regulation of some sort.  Glad your cousin found an appropriate place for your Aunt.  I was happy that DH did not seem to react to all that happened.  According to the caregiver, that was not true of some others in the facility, however.

Hope those clothes do fit R, Claudia, and he does not need the collar while he is there.  I remember dogs grabbing food, but nothing so dramatic as a whole roast.  

Army DGS will not hear about the job for a while.  He thought the interview went well, so fingers crossed.  It would be a lot easier on DD if all three kids not only went to the same school, but worked there.  The driving is getting a bit much for her.

Hope you don't get bad storms, Barbara.  We keep getting warnings, but no rain yesterday.  The deaths in northern Arizona were certainly tragic.

Have a nice day chessielady and Claudia, and please take it easy, Barbara.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

What an uproar at DH 's facility, Linda. I'm glad he wasn't anxious or upset. The caregivers probably had quite a time calming those who were upset.

Your DD must be tired of all the driving. So much easier for all 3 f2f to go to the same school and work there.

Barbara, I hope Sydnie's lunch choice was better than expected.

TT is home again. I loaded him up early this morning using the 20' leash attached to the railing. He tends to rush down the steps. My legs don't rush anymore and I had no wish to be hauled down the street by him. He wanted to look about but I finally persuaded him to hop in the back seat. A slice of banana worked wonders.

After dropping him at the groomer it was on to the vet for his meds. Only one prescription was available though. I shipped at Wegmans before heading home and did a few more errands. 

Early afternoon it was time to pick him up. At almost 8 years old he was tired from all the "beautifying. He is one tired fellow. He got out of the car and went right up the front steps.

our weather continues to be sunny and upper 80's. A little too warm for me and the dogs especially are happy we have air conditioning.

While I was out I had R call the neurologist. His next appointment is the 2nd and a ct scan needs done before that. Good thing he called as they forgot.

Griff continues to bark at the neighbor's lawn furniture but if I walk over and talk quietly and tell him Good job he will usually walk up the back steps with me.

I hope your day is going well Chessielady.

Super Contributor

It is HOT here! We will be having an excessive heat warning from tomorrow thru Saturday. High temps near 100 but the heat index will be from 100 upwards to 110. The dogs are not fond of these excessive temps..much prefer the a/c in the house! 

Good job on the move to the groomers!  I have resorted to such lures myself. As I get older I wonder what got in to me two get these pups..they are so strong and impulsive (!) to say the least. Oh well!

I hope everyone stays cool and has a nice evening. Not much planned here...I kept busy today with yard work so I'm looking forward to some TV and an iced tea.  Keep cool everyone!

Respected Contributor

1st 2 newfies back in the 90's were trained by my husband. Paddington would be taken for walks and as they turned for home R would take the leash off and he'd walk himself home. He would also pick up McBruin's leash and walk him around the house. TT will charge down the steps. He once took R with him and ended updragging him head first through a leaf pile. Not so funny then but now. If I transport TT I plan my tactics ahead of time. And yes I wonder whatever possessed us to get these big boys. TT who loves everyone and Griff who is suspicious of everyone but us. Definitely strong and impulsive but bribeable. Both boys are snoozing by the air vents and I have plans to go to bed early. My cat sitter dropped off a small painted chest she no longer had room for. I need to find a place for it. If it ever cools down here I have some boxes to take up to the attic. 100-110 is way too hot for me.
Super Contributor

@chprsp

Just saw an add for Newfiepoo puppies. This is the first time that I have seen this designer dog combo. No words.....

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon!  We are having nice weather here -- not nearly as hot as in Maryland.  Still should reach 90 degrees, but that is below normal for our area.  Showers are predicted, but none came yesterday.  

You ladies are certainly good pet owners.  Glad you figured out how to get TT to the groomers, Claudia.  Good that R found out about the need for a CT scan.  Hope things are quiet there today, and you aren't too hot.  And, I hope your record heat goes away soon Chessielady.

Also hope you are feeling okay today, Barbara, and the infusion is working .  

I had a good discussion with the director and assistant director at DH's facility.  I was correct in thinking that they cannot force people to take medicine.  That is true of most places around here, including nursing homes.  They told me that the facility where they took the lady has a good record of helping people, and the lady will probably be back in some weeks or months.  

DH was okay yesterday.  His DD told me that she urged her brother to visit his Dad, and he said maybe in September. Depending on timing, that might not work for me, but....  I really don't know why he cannot come sooner.  I guess I won't worry about it.

My Kipling bag came, and it is beautiful.  

I have been to the gym, and I leave for a caregivers meeting soon.  

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda.... 

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..it remains very humid here...I did go to knitting but left early because my head was pounding. I will take something for it soon...Do not plan on doing a lot this afternoon..

syd ad wants to make homemade pizza for supper. Our chicken strip lunch was a hit for her and m.  I am not big on fried anything ..lol

linda..glad you got some answers from the director. It must really be s challenge to deal with some of the clients. I find the Kipling bags quite nice..and mine have held up well. Hope you have a good visit with Dh today.

Claudia...I am glad we have our little dog that can be picked up when needed. And that happens frequently. 

Chessielady, my dgd, who lives with us got a little mini schnauzer puppy last year..she is quite the fun dog. 

Have a good day.