Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of July 14

Good Afternoon!  Hope things are going okay with Tip, Claudia.  She is one active dog, so I am not surprised she needed some sedation.  R is certainly into tables and moving things around-- yikes.  Hope you got things settled and there isn't too much of a mess.  DD said that they are expecting temperatures of 100 on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  Just too hot, especially with the humidity.  My SIL is doing a little better, but may need to cancel his photo shoots for this weekend if he isn't much better.

Sorry about your weather and how it affects your joints, Barbara.  I am interested in going to that dinner theater near you, but I'm not sure when that will happen.  The show last night was particularly good because they included some of the best acts from their shows.  Sorry about the Real ID problem.  I have decided to wait until next year to try to get mine, or at least after I find out about my eyes and possible cataract surgery.  My vision issues make getting a driver's licence difficult as it is.  I am pretty sure I can find my Social Security card, and I have my passport, but I know there are more requirements than that --1099 forms, for example.  Trying to reduce hassles as much as I can.

More people showed up for the senior lunch program than signed up, and my buddy and I almost missed out on our food.  Fortunately, the director was able to get a little extra from the adult day services.  

Before lunch, they had a chair volleyball game (with a beach ball), and my buddy and I played for a little while -- lots of fun.  I was "volunteered" to help out with a kids carnival there Friday after this.  I do enjoy seeing the little kids, and there is no exercise class that day.

The money transfer (from DH's estate account to his children) happened yesterday -- very quickly after his DD faxed in the papers.  I'm happy that is done.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Sorry you're hurting, Barbara. R's right arm bothered him today. I suspect it's weather related. Back in 1981 he broke that wrist and elbow.

Tip came home about noon. She was interested in the incision so I put a padded collar on her. She can still eat and drink with it on. it's better than a cone at least so far. She was tired but now has more energy after a long nap.

I only needed to show my passport, my Social Security card and 2 proofs of address in order to get my Real Id. No 1099 forms needed but other states may be different.

It sounds like you really enjoyed last night's show, Linda. I hope your SIL improves by the weekend. It's a relief to you to have the money transfer from DH'S estate done.

I imagine Tip will be more active tomorrow. I caught Griffyn eating her puppy food and put a stop to that.

After we got home with Tip it rained and was quite windy. The wind calmed down though by late afternoon.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..we just got Pepper back from the groomers..she looks like a different little doggy and I am sure that she is much cooler. 

I am working on on getting myself together to work a little in Syds room. I have been using a lot of ice packs.

It remains very humid here..the ac is set at 75 which works well for us.,I have never wanted one of those deals with the electric company where they control your ac. My neighbor tried that for a couple of years and she hated it, because her house never cooled off. 

Linda, vs surgery was denied by his insurance so his cardiologist I’d goingbto appeal it. Apparently getting vein surgery is difficult. He is not as assertive as I am so who knows if it will get done.

hope your sil improves..the East coast is going to be miserable for the next few days.

Claudia..sounds as if Tip came through with flying colors. stay cool.

Enjoy your day...😎😎

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like Tip did quite well, Claudia.  Hope things are okay today, and R is not in too much pain.  Also hope your weather is tolerable.

I never wanted those "energy saving" programs from the electric company after seeing the issues my Mom had with them.  There are many options here, but trying to remember when to use and not use electricity, especially the AC, is just too stressful for me.  I want to be able to turn on the AC whenever I feel like it.

Glad Pepper is back and looking good after grooming.

Hope you feel well enough to work on Syd's room, Barbara.  That is something about V's insurance denying the surgery.  Hope your appeal works.  When I had my vein surgery almost 26 years ago, the surgeon seemed ready and waiting to do it -- no insurance problems, etc. But, I think you are right about things being different now since this doctor said that he will need to see the results of the ultrasound before he can decide whether or not any sort of surgery or treatment is required.  At least he prescribed the compression hose.

Speaking of which, I'm back from the medical supply place with my new compression hose.  This time, I got the closed toe version which I think will be better for me since the open-toe version sometimes folds over and hurts my foot.  I think these may be more difficult to put on than the others, but the tech showed me a way to get them on a bit easier.  

The stockings were not cheap -- $105 each, but the insurance paid 85%, which was wonderful.  And, I found out that under my insurance (not Medicare) I am eligible for a new pair every six months.  Depending on how things go, I may buy another pair since I am supposed to wear them every day when I'm awake.  But, I will hold off to see if I can handle them and am willing to spend $210 just for a back-up.  

As you may have seen on the other thread -- we made it up to 110 yesterday and had some thunderstorms, but not enough to cool things down a bit.   They are predicting more storms and cooler (upper 00's) weather today.  I don't have any plans, but hope to get some cleaning done.

DD said youngest DGS will get his first allergy shots today after work, which is good.  My SIL is working a lot -- early morning up until 8:00 p.m yesterday and the day before.  He came home from work in the afternoon, but only took a short break for dinner.  Hopefully, things will settle down a little, and he can get back to a more normal schedule.  He is better, but still not completely well.

Oldest DGS bought DD a chair and ottoman for her new desk, and she was putting the chair together when we spoke earlier.  Both came from Amazon and were less expensive than a chair she liked at COSTCO.  Very nice of oldest DGS to buy them for her -- he is turning out to be a very thoughtful guy.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

As you may recall several years ago I opted for the electric company's plan. What a mistake. I had days when the inside temperature was upper 80's before I could get off the plan.

I'm glad the insurance company's denial is being appealed, Barbara. I had to take over a number of R's medical decisions over the past few years. Inaction would not only affect him but also me as I'd end up with more to deal with.

Griff gets groomed tomorrow. We ended up putting a few shirt on Tippy. Even with the foam donut around her neck she could still get at her stitches. The tee shirt went on over top of the donut and she certainly is an odd sight.

We had a lot of rain today and it is still not and humid. The next few days will be quite hot.

Glad you got the compression hose and hope they won't be too difficult to put on. Insurance paying a large portion definitely helps.

That was very thoughtful of your oldest dgs. I'm glad your sil is better too.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..weather remains the same...I did turn the ac up ton76 because everyone but me was cold..😜😜

i had myport flush flush this morning...I am running out of ideas for dinner...I would be happy with salads but I am the only one who likes them. Syd decided that she would eat tacos.   I will make a salad.

She has been busy in her room..she wants a desk and she has to reorganize things to make room. She may not dance next year..she wants to get her black belt I tae kwando. Most of her friends have quit..that kind of happens at her age.

Linda..I am glad that you got stockings to fit...vs are not covered by insurance even though he has a medical need for them that was very nice of your dgs to get his sister the furniture. The allergy shots should help him a lot. It is very hot in Az.🥵🥵

Claudia..your experience with the controlled ac is exactly what happened to my neighbor. Hope r and fur babies are behaving today...Pepper is much perkier with out her curls..lo.

inenede up using pain meds last night and so far feel pretty good today.

Syd has a remote and keeps changing the channel..she had v convinced the other night that there was something amiss with the tv.  She can be quite the prankster.

Enjoy your day

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Hope you aren't suffering too much from the heat and humidity, Claudia.  All I can say is AC to the rescue.  Also hope R, Tip, Griff, and all the rest of your furbabies are doing okay.  

Glad you are doing a little better today, Barbara.  Hope it lasted for the whole day.  They are really being nasty to V regarding the surgery and the hose.  DGS actually gave the chair and ottoman to DD rather than his sister.  I thought he was just being nice, but DD said he was trying to make up for his bad behavior towards her.  LOL  Hopefully, he wasn't too nasty.   She said the weather there is very hot and humid.  It is certainly hot here, but a bit lower than last week -- not sure if it made it to 100 degrees.  I think Arizona is probably more comfortable than Maryland at this point.

I made it to the gym in the morning and the caregivers meeting in the afternoon.  Three new ladies and some with news.  One who wasn't there suddenly lost her husband -- he was only in his mid 60's, but had several health issues and apparently wanted to die.  

Four of us went out for "coffee" (actually smoothies and root beer floats, etc.) after the meeting.  It is interesting hearing what others are going through -- you never know.

I'm feeling a bit sleepy at the moment, so maybe I will take a short nap before decising what to prepare for dinner.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

The day did not go as planned. I got up an hour earlier than I thought. Managed to drop Griff off for grooming but instead of doing errands had to hurry home as R said Tip had been working on her stitches in spite of the collar and shirt. We loaded her up and took her to the vet to check it out. Of course we had to wait and be fitted in. as she happily climbed in the chair next to R they asked why we didn't give her the sedative. I told fuel-efficient this IS Tippy on a sedative. Luckily the stitches were mostly intact. I drove R and Tip home, sat for 20 minutes then headed out to pick Griff up. Let me tell you there was the cutest tabby kitten at the groomers that was all over me. No I did not being him home. He loved Griff. Actually if I had had a way to smuggle him in I would have been tempted. Lol.

So I got Griff home and in the house. Let both dogs out. Griff came in with blood on him. Blood on a white dog really stands out.. The best we could figure out was that when he came in Tip wanted to play. R said he was in the recliner and one of the dogs but his sandal hard. We cleaned him up and couldn't see any cut or mark.  I think when Tip tried to wrestle his mouth but the sandal hard. So freshly groomed white dog has a slight pinkish tinge to some of his fur.

Left R home and met some people I graduated with for supper. I hesitated about going as my high school years were not favorites but one person I wanted to see was in town from OK so off I went and had a chance to talk with her.

It has been very hot and tomorrow will be hotter still. I need to vacuum the upstairs hall first thing in the morning and move things from the hallway so the door for R's workroom can be installed. I am so grateful for air conditioning.

I'm glad you're feeling somewhat better, Barbara. Fingers crossed for V and the surgery.

Good that you made it to the gym and your caregivers meeting, Linda. The smoothies and floats sure sound good.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..this should be our last day of hot and humid weather. Syd and got soup from Panera for lunch. I am very unmotivated today.

That being said, not too much will be done. Lol

Claudia..I hope that Tip is leaving her stitches alone. Peppervwas pretty good with hers. Yikes about the blood on Griff. I hope the heat wave is not too much for you.

Linda..you have a lot of good things to do in your life.  

Enjoy your day. 🥰🥰

Respected Contributor

It certainly was not today. I vacuumed upstairs early morning when it was a bit cooler. The cats haven't forgiven me yet. Tigger apparently was not pleased her water wasn't being refilled in the dispenser she pulled beside the tub. This morning I found it pushed out where I could reach it.

After lunch we went to the VA clinic. The doctor had said if R's MRI and EMG weren't scheduled by today to let her know. They're now scheduled and surprisingly before the reunion trip.

Late afternoon we had quite a thunderstorm with lots of wind. I heard a number of trees are down and blocking some of the roads outside of town. Some streets flooded.

Tip is reluctantly behaving.

My friend called with an update on her mother. They found out her potassium level was way too high so are working on getting it down. She's also lost 15 pounds. She's a tiny person and couldn't afford to lose anything. She is doing a bit of pt. My friend and her husband have a cottage rented for the next week but it's not that far a drive in case she needs to come back for a day. I offered to stop in to the nursing home and visit her mom Sunday.

Barbara, I hope you've taken it easy today.

Linda, I hope you've had a good to and you soon hear about your doors.