Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of January 4

Good Evening!  That is pretty funny about Syd -- hope she is successful in avoiding strep.  Glad you took care of the airfare, Barbara.

DH does not have LTC insurance, unfortunately. I will probably take a look at memory care places once I have a chance to catch my breath.  There are several around here, and I am not too worried even if there is a waiting list.  I can always get caregivers in to help if it gets too much for me.  But, you are correct, his DD definitely would rather that I keep him at home.  I'll try to do so as much as possible, but I do have my limits and don't want to destroy my own health, including mental health.

Glad the kittens did okay, Claudia.  Sounds very cold there when the 40's are the highs.  It is pretty cool here, and we had rain this morning.  Can't complain too much since we need rain.

Staffing the OLLI booth went well, and we had many more visitors than when we were there for the Fall session.  Snow birds/winter visitors are back!

Hope both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

3 kittens picked up. A discount on the neutering helped. TT is dropped off at the groomer's and I picked up more dog food. When I drove home with the dog food the temperature was in the mid 20's.

It's good you're keeping your own health in mind, Linda. I'm glad your time at the OLLI booth went well.

We pick TT up at 3.

Barbara, I hope your day is going well.

Respected Contributor

This was our morning to play bridge. There is a new couple that I really like..she and v are going to play duplicate one day a week.,

it it is pouring rain here...but as I said, the moisture is much needed. It feels pretty damp and cool...I may crank the heat up a little.

thecdance mom saga continues...now she is demanding that the 4 sisters who own the studio look at her dds dance and wants one of them to work with her also. M is laughing about the situation...it is pretty pathetic.

Linda, glad to hear that you are thinking of your health also. You are a smart lady and will figure out things. Glad th e Olli booth went well.

i got my coloring books, marker an pencils yesterday....I rather enjoyed doing one page...I do not have to think.

Claudia, glad the neutering went well.  If Syd gets her puppy, we will be dealing with a groomer. 

Enjoy ot your day.

Esteemed Contributor

Glad you got a discount on the neutering, Claudia.  Sounds very cold there.  I'm feeling pretty chilly here just due to the rain and temperatures in the high 40's -- weather wimp for sure.

That is pathetic about the dance Mom, Barbara.  I think she needs a hobby or something.  Seems like she is obsessed about her daughter and dance.  As some say -- "get a life".  But seriously, I can't understand her obsession.  Maybe it was something she wanted to do, but did not achieve.  Glad I don't run the dance studio and have to deal with moms like her..

The hospice nurse and a coordinator for the area (also a nurse) took quite a while with DH this morning.  Tons of questions, an exam, etc., etc.  She brought some things with her, and she will be ordering a new shower chair with arms, a toilet seat (like a bedside commode) that I can put over the toilet, Depends, etc.  They will provide his medicines.  She told me that I can discontinue some of the vitamins and minerals as well as some of the medicines, which is fine with me.  It is difficult for him to take all those pills every morning.  I will keep him on some things (like fish oil) that I already purchase for myself.  She will be coming back tomorrow afternoon.  She said something about him not going back to the urologist, and I told her she needs to tell me for sure since I will need to cancel the appointment.  I was planning to ask the urologist to increase the dosage of his overactive bladder medicine since he is going way too often.  But, I guess I could ask the regular doctor if they don't want me to take him there.

After a quick lunch, I went to the caregivers meeting and dropped him off at day services.  The caregiver meeting was very good -- some sad stories and tears, but some laughs.  It is always good to hear what is happening with others.  A couple of ladies had put their husbands into nursing facilities, and they really missed them.  But, the facilities were nice. Another lady (older) actually moved into assisted living with her husband.  She still drives, etc., but now she doesn't need to prepare meals, etc.  She said the food is good there.  Meanwhile, I heard that one of the facilities is not that great -- they don't do any activities, etc.  So, I will cross that off my list.

And, DH had a good time at day services while I was at the meeting -- he even danced with a staff member.  So, I plan to have him dance with me.  

I need to do some exercise now, and of course figure out "what's for dinner?"  

Hope both of you have a nice evening!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

TT looks quite nice. I had them trim a bit around the ears so more air gets to the ears, Someone on one of the large breed fb groups suggested it to avoid the dreaded stink ear.  Griff quickly removed his lavender bandanna and took off with it.

I had to pick him up on my own. When I got home I opened the gate, drove in the backyard and let him out after shutting the gate. I think the blacktop has raised some as I had to really pull on the gate to open it. I managed to let TT in the backdoor without letting the others out- a minor miracle. Just as I pulled the car back out of the fenced area I saw R out on the front porch smoking wearing his nightshirt and hunting coat. Oh my. Just then a rather stout beagle climbed the front steps. No collar, no one seemed to be looking for him. The local shelter stayed open till I got him there.; So 20-30 minutes after I got home someone came searching for him. He'd slipped his collar and trotted off. At least that's the part I heard between Griff's barking that there was a stranger in the neighbor's driveway.

Mama cat was very happy to see her babies. Nothing was accomplished today except animal transport.

Barbara, I'm just shaking my head over that dance mom. What nightmares she must give the studio owners. I've considered the coloring books but can picture Griff chewing crayons and books.

Linda, the hospice nurse and coordinator sound very thorough. It's certainly a help to have his meds covered. I'm glad the dayservices went well  for DH. That caregivers group is a good support for you.

Respected Contributor

It is another cloudy, cool day. I may venture out for a pedicure this afternoon. Need to clean our bathroom this morning.  Boy, my life is exciting...lol.

i told m to update me with the drama at the dance studio tonight. Syd may go to a different studio next year if this keeps going on.

i had ordered the logo hoodie tsv and must say I really like it. It would be good for a day like today.

Linda, it appears hospice will be a good thing for you. They seemed to provide you with some essential items. Having a chair with arms is a good thing for dh. You can use all of the support you can get. Alzheimer's is a horrible disease. 

Claudia..to must lpok nice. Yikes with rs attire😳 I ordered pencils and fine tip markers for my books...of course, I have no animals to chew things.

hope your day is going well I will check back.

Respected Contributor

Oh what Griff could do with pencils and markers. I don't know why I thought crayons.  Switching studios for Syd might be a good idea as long as dance mom doesn't follow suit. That kind of drama isn't needed.

Glad your hoodie is a keeper.

It is cool here too I only dashed out to pick up bread and a couple other items.

Finally R was scheduled for the emg Now I just need to hope for good weather on the 20th. I think we'd still be waiting if we hadn't contacted our congressman's office.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening!  Glad you like the hoodie, Barbara.  At this point, I think that coloring would add stress rather than help.  I really need to calm down, but it is certainly difficult.  I was afraid that Syd might need to change dance studios.  Maybe things will improve with "dance Mom", but I guess that is unlikely.

Finally an appointment, Claudia.  Fingers crossed about the weather.  DGS is going on college visits this weekend, next weekend, and the last weekend of the month.  I really hope the weather cooperates for them as well.  The latest visit is to a college in PA that seems quite interested in him.

I'm waiting for the social worker and the nurse to arrive.  Already, I have talked to the hospice chaplain, and the caregiver came right after we got home from day services.  They delivered some medicine for DH last night around 8:00 p.m.  I had a call from a man saying that he had the drugs for me.  I thought it was the wrong number, but they delivered one of his prescriptions.  I tossed and turned most of last night worrying about my schedule, his schedule, the future, etc.  

According to the chaplain, they need to set up initial contact with the client very soon after you sign up.  So, that is why the rush.  The chaplain and I had a nice chat, and he answered a bunch of questions.  I have decided to take DH to day services while I'm at the senior lunch program, at least next Tuesday.  It is money, but it can help with the stress of worrying what he is up to while I'm working.  Next Tuesday I have an appointment with the financial planner in the afternoon as well as the lunch program.  I told the caregiver that I can't fit her in the schedule for next week, so she will be coming early the following week -- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday around 7:30.  She will give him his shower and dress him.  Hope that works out, but I won't be too upset if it does not.

The new, slightly less expensive caregiving group didn't have him on their schedule for Monday, and tried to have me change it to Tuesday (this required a couple of calls).  So, I told them no, and the other caregivers will be watching DH while I am at my bookclub.  Whew!

Hope both of you have a nice evening!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good morning. Our heat pump is not working well..it was making weird noises last night and this morning,mit took an hour to kick in. We have someone to call because we get it checked every year.

i have a hair cut this morning..it will be more of a trim because I am only 3 weeks and a few days since my last one. The woman I am trying out down hair is goin

g on vacation for 2 weeks and by then, it will be out of control.

Sydnie s solo was amped up by the sister who will oversee it...it is going to be good..looks quite difficult. I think she will do well. M was asked all kinds of questions by the dance mom, to which she replied, I do not know. Lol.

Linda, the stress you are feeling is very normal.  I hope you have some relaxing things you can do...think your workouts help wi that.  It would be good if the home health care can give you some assistance a few mornings a week. Hospice surely has a wide variety of services for you. You have gone way above and beyond with what you do for dh. (((((Hugs))))

Claudia..Minnesota will be below zero starting today. Wonder if that weather will head your way.  Is Adam still going to be with Whitney?!?!

have a great day

Esteemed Contributor

Hope your heat pump is repaired quickly, Barbara.  It is pretty chilly around here, and not expected to warm up much.  At least it isn't raining.  I think you need to write a book or at least a short story about "dance Mom" -- wow!   I think it is a good idea to have your hair done, even if it is early.  I can get pretty crazy if my hair is out of control.

Thanks for all your hugs and good wishes.  Things got even crazier yesterday afternoon.

While we were waiting for the hospice nurse, I had a call from the hospice social worker who wanted to come over, and I told her that we were expecting the nurse.  But, she could come as well if she liked.  

While we were waiting for the social worker, the nurse called to say that she was coming over with a person in training (turned out to be another nurse who will be helping her since she is overwhelmed).  

So, the social worker showed up and immediately handed me a list of mortuaries and body donation places and discusses them -- right in front of DH.  I tried to have her drop the subject, and I think she realized it wasn't the best way to get started.  

Then the nurses showed up -- the other nurse was male, and I didn't like him very much (can't totally explain it, but....)  They started working on DH -- taking his blood pressure, etc.  They asked if I had questions, and I went over the medicines and vitamins.  The nurse will be back next Thursday afternoon, and I think that will be our next contact since the chaplain and social worker only check in twice a month or so, and the health care worker starts the week after next.  I need a break from all this help!  

So far, so good this morning.  

I saw stories about how cold it will be in MN. yikes!  Hope it won't be too cold where you live, Claudia, and that your furbabies are behaving themselves.  Also hope you aren't having too much stress.

Have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda