Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of January 17

This was a card playing morning and I have choir in a little bit. I have an hour to get lunch and do stuff like be online in between. It will be nice today...the house feels a little chilly, however.

Yes, Linda, I think that mom is unhinged a bit. Syd calls her crazy Emily...not to her face, however.  I wish she would be kicked out of the studio. 

Sorry that hat dh had an accident....I know you have probably tried this,,to put him on the toilet as soon as he gets up. It is wonderful that you have the day care for him...and I would think it is good for him.

hope your dd doesn't have any issues driving this weekend.

Claudia..stay safe with your driving tomorrow. Hope r is not in too much pain after the test.

Syd should find out tomorrow if she gets a puppy.

one of vs brothers and wife are a little south of us for a few days, so we are going to meet them for a long lunch tomorrow. We really like them

Hope your day goes well.

Respected Contributor

Good morning...we are off in a little while to meet my bio and sil for lunch. We have not seen them fora while so we have some catching up to do.

the weather will be nice for a few days. I hope the temps moderate when I am home next week.

Linda...looks as is there is potential for major snow where dd lives. Hope reserves are cancelled if it is really bad.

Claudia..I think you have a trip out today.

Syd is now on Instagram...yikes. Both m and I will monitor it daily.

Hoe your day is going well. More much later.

Respected Contributor

Oh boy, Syd on Instagram. Good idea to keep tabs on it. Is she getting her puppy?

Enjoy your lunch.

We got back from our trek. R finally had the emg. Now we wait for the results.

I t appears the storm will be south of us. The roads were clear today. We picked up the interstate near where our vet has offices. Gps would have routed us through a very wooded area - a narrow twisty road and I knew that would still be snow covered so opted for the better way.

Adam took Zeus to the vet and Zeus got a shot for his upset tummy and some special food.

Respected Contributor

Back from a nice lunch and visit. We were at a biker bar but they had a lovely patio and there was no one there so we spent almost 3 hours eating and talking.

no puppies today...this is the day she was due.

Glad the snow will miss you.it looks like a pretty messy storm.

Good that Adam got the kitten taken care of.

Linda, hope your day is going well.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Glad R finally had his test, Claudia, and I do hope you miss the bad storm.  

Everything I read says that the snow will hit DD's area very hard.  She said my SIL can probably drive DGS to Reserves (he has lots of experience driving -- was once a professional truck driver for an antiques store), but I know she is still worried.  Oldest DGS is supposed to work both Saturday and Sunday, but I think she will either drive him or have him cancel out.  If the weather is very bad, I doubt that Macy's will have many customers in any case.

Glad you had a nice lunch, Barbara.  As you suspected, I have tried taking DH to the bathroom first thing in the morning and did so yesterday.  The problem is that he doesn't realize what he needs to do in the bathroom.  Today, it was better, if not perfect.

His caretaker came to give him his bath and dress him, and I was hovering, but things went well.  I don't know if I mentioned it, but the financial guy I talked to yesterday was very nice.  But, he charges quite a bit to take you on as a client.  I went back and forth about it, and his DD was not enthused about spending the money.  So, my next effort is to work with the discount broker so that I can have the authority to take out money if he needs it.  I talked with them, and it sounds a bit complicated, but fortunately it is not a rush.

I dropped him off at day services, and then took a walk.  I suddenly realized it was almost time to go to the tax attorney.  And, their parking area was mobbed since it is near the weekly "farmers" market.  Anyway, I was a bit late (probably five minutes or so), and they were ready for me.  I signed and had papers notarized, and later, I took them to the post office so his DD can sign them, send them on to his son so he can sign them, and then send them back to me.  Then, I'll take them to the lawyer, and he will file them.  Glad that is getting done.

The dentist called again about scheduling his filling (after the root canal), and I called them back (they called twice yesterday and once today -- yikes).  I made it to the gym, and to get my hair cut.  I was a bit early picking up DH, and he was a happy guy.  I'm so glad he likes it there.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

We played bridge this morning. Did not win but had fun. V is playing this afternoon. I am going to call and book out our Fall trip...yes we need to do it this early. I am going to take it easy this afternoon..read and knit a bit.

Linda..it looks like the doc area will be a mess with the expected storm. And I do not believe that they are well pre pared for it.  Linda, I did not realize that dh did not know what to do. That makes it more difficult. You are a wonderful caretaker. Good luck with the decision about the financial guy. It sounds as if you could manage it on your own....you are a smart lady.

Claudia..glad to hear that r finally had his emg. And I hope you escape the bad weather.

i guess the puppies are due within the next week.

hope your day is going well...more later

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  Glad you enjoyed playing cards, Barbara.  Hope the puppies are born soon for Syd's sake

I decided to try to work with the discount broker rather than pay the financial planner so much money.  But, that certainly has not gone smoothly.  I needed to scan and e-mail the Power of Attorney papers as well as the letter from the doctor, and then I need to fill out a special POA for the brokerage house and have it notarized.  They did not want DH to sign their form since he is not able to do his finances.  Long story short, the notary refused to notarize the form since there was a place for DH to sign, and he could not.  He said that I could always fill in the information, and that might be contrary to DH's wishes.  I tried to explain, but he would not budge.  After much ado, he said that the broker should contact him, and once he had their approval on how to do it (perhaps cross off the part of the form DH would ordinarily sign), I could come back with the originals, and then he would notarize it.  I did have a copy of the doctor's note, and DH was with me.  But, he wanted originals.

Scanning the POA to e-mail it took a while, and the file was too large to go, so I broke it up into three e-mails.  The broker called today to say I needed their form, and I told him about the notary.  He said I should go to a different bank.  He had been a notary, and he said that this guy was just being overly cautious.  I will try that tomorrow.

In the meantime, I wrote a long e-mail to DH's kids telling them about his health, the money I was spending, the attorney stuff, and a little about the brokerage.  I did not get into the notary business.  I wanted to make sure they understood that I am not trying to steal anything or do things against his wishes.  DH's DD wrote back last night -- very nice note.  I think his son probably hasn't read it yet.

Definitely sounds like a blizzard is headed DD's way, not good.  DGS' car was hit and damaged (body) while he was in class last night, and then he had to drive home on icy roads.  It took him much longer than normal, and he was very nervous.  But, his Dad helped him file a claim with the car insurance, and they (DD and DGS) took the car to a body shop today.  Depending on the blizzard, the car may be ready next week (probably Friday).  He had to pay a $500 deductible, which I transferred.  They also had access to a rental car, and DD rented one since DGS is too young to do so.  She is driving a Chevy Impala!  She said it is a nice car, but she probably won't be driving it much if the blizzard comes.

The caregiver group was very good, and now I'm waiting for the nurse.  The social worker called and wanted to come over, but she did not answer when I called back.  I'm in no rush for her to come.

One of the ladies said that her husband (who is now in a nursing facility) told the social worker that he didn't need her any more now that he isn't at home.  Pretty funny.

Hope both of you have a nice evening, and the snow isn't too bad in your area, Claudia.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

What a lot of things to get worked out, Linda. So many "hoops" to jump through. I'm glad DGS managed to drive home and the car is being fixed. It looks like DD's area is going to get hit by the storm. I hope DH's children appreciate how much care you give their father. You do a fantastic job.

Is it a cruise you're planning. Barbara?

I took the female kittens to get their stitches out today. When I pulled into the driveway I felt something on my shoulder. Adam's Athena had escaped from the soft side crate. At least I knew she was out of the crate before I opened the door. The vet tech must not have closed the zipper completely and Athena widened the space. I couldn't tell where Merry was as she is black, the crate is black, and the upholstery is black.. Just as I put the frnt seat back to reach the crate out slipped Merry. After I pulled the crate up front I was able to get both kittens in it and made sure it was completely zipped.

Respected Contributor

Good morning...I m going to have a quiet day...feeling very achy. I did make a grocery store run. There was a big sale on ribs and that will be one of the meals I serve when my brothers are here. 

I am am getting ready to head home on Tuesday.  The weather looks not to be super cold. M discovered that syds nanny had been rearranging the kitchen cupboards and threw some things in the garbage. This woman is close to my age...and I will be having a chat with her next week. Yikes!!!

Linda..I could not believe that notary would not sign...if you have durable poa over dhs affairs it should be automatically done. Sounds as if you have it figured out. You have so much ch to deal with. I was fortunate because my mom arranged everything before she developed dementia.

i hope his children appreciate all you do for him because if you were not willing, they would have a big mess. Hope dd stays safe in the storm

Claudia..loose kitties in the car..oh my. How do the dogs do with them. No puppies yet.

i will check back later..hope you are having a good day

Respected Contributor

Sorry you are so achy, Barbara. Am I right in thinking you are past the time you usually get your treatments?

Spot the half feral started vomiting last night. The poor sweet fellow actually did it in the litter box. I ended up taking him to the vet today where he got a shot for nausea and an antibiotic.. I hope none of the others come down with it. After having 5 kittens neutered this month plus these latest vet trips for Zeus, Pippin and Spot I'm feeling rather broke.