Esteemed Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of December 20

Good Morning/Afternoon!  I saw some of your pictures on FB, Barbara, and it looks like everyone is having fun.  How nice to be surrounded by your kids and grands.  I'm really missing that this year, but not much that I can do about it.  

Glad your new turtleneck arrived, Claudia, and I hope it is in good shape.  I had ordered some earrings (silver hoops) for DH to give me for Christmas, and they came quickly.  That was a surprise since usually things drag out.  I like the earrings, and they are already in a decorated box that I put under the tree.  Of course, DH won't understand, but I like having something to open on Christmas.

I finally made my panetonne yesterday, and I had a piece this morning.  Pretty good despite having to substitute a few ingredients.  

Church was good, and I'm headed to the gym soon.

Hope both of you have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of December 20

It's great you ordered something you like, Linda. You know DH would want you to have something and since he can't do it you should.

Whitney called to say they got the large package. She is writing a series of short stories for the boys for Christmas and hopes to have them illustrated at some point.

The ice in the driveway has mostly melted. Taking the garbage to the curb was easierthan I anticipated.

We enjoyed last night's movie. Much more like the original than the later movies.

Those were very sweet pictures, Barbara.

Respected Contributor

Sorry I did not post yesterday...we did not get home until 6 to discover the heat had gone out again and the house was 52. Yikes....the repair guy showed up at midnight and it needs a replacement part that arrived this morning so it will be repaired sometime today. Thank goodness it is not super cold.

we had a wonderful weekend....the kids were very good and cute. Kaia, amies 3 year old has all of the kids songs down pat and loves singing them at full voice. The 3 older girls got along fairly well...lol. Amie had a great dinner and I had to do nothing but watch. What a treat.

i will get more pics posted.

v has to wrap syds gifts today and she will do her mommy said tomorrow. Cookie baking day is Wednesday. The turkey is thawing in the fridge. And I am feeling very well which is good.

linda, your earrings sound lovely. And it is great dd is sending cookies.

amie gave me a wool scarf and beautiful throw blanket from Scotland for my gifts. They are both amazingly soft.

claudia, how wonderful that whit is writing stories for her boys. Hope your new turtleneck is good.

i will check back later.

Respected Contributor

I'm glad you had such a wonderful time, Barbara. Funny about Kaia singing at full voice. It made me think of my brother at a couple years older walking the few blocks between school and home belting out eieio at the top of his lungs. I am 14 years older. At least the weather isn't terribly cold and you'll hopefully have heat by the end of the day. There are such beautiful woolen goods in Scotland.

It's rainy and in the lower 40's here. I went out to get Adam a comforter. Thanks to a certain white dog his old one needed to be thrown out. I came down this morning to find Griff with a shoe. Adam had left them out. At least they were old ones and needed replaced. That dog is being especially bad before his birthday and Christmas. Afew minutes ago I caught him rooting through the recycling bin on the back porch.

Linda, I hope your day is going fairly well. It's always nice to get cookies.

Esteemed Contributor

Glad you had such a great time, Barbara.  And your gifts sound lovely.  I bought a few scarves when I was in Scotland -- really nice.  I am enjoying your Facebook postings.  Hope your heat is on by now.  Sounds pretty cold to me.

Hi Claudia -- sorry you have to replace things due to naughty dogs.  Sounds cold there as well.  I guess I'm thinking that since I have my space heater on -- it isn't all that cold outside, but chilly in the "office".

My day has been good.  I had strong bones, and then another tried to show me some yoga.  I'm definitely not a quick study.  There were two new ladies there today -- mother and daughter, and only two who had been before.  I think most people are busy or away somewhere.  

DH's shoes came in, and we picked them up.  They seem to fit well, and they said if not he could bring them back as long as he didn't wear them outside.  We went for a short walk in the park maintained by the garden club and then the zoo named Wal-Mart.  Yikes!  At least I found things that I wanted.  

My SIL's dentist was able to fix his tooth for $300 or so, which is great.  He goes to the podiatrist tomorrow before he goes to work.  Oldest DGS is working every day at Macy's, and he found a sports coat (returned) for youngest DGS for $26.   It will need to be tailored, but still a great price.  Youngest DGS needs a sports coat for his interview at the college in January (I think the college is in North Carolina).

Meanwhile, DH's DD said that she and perhaps his younger DGD may come for a visit (couple of days) in February.  That would be nice.

I'm a little worried that DH may be having some issues at night -- he couldn't find his side of the bed when he came back after going to the bathroom.  But, maybe it was a one-time thing.  Fingers crossed.

Hope both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good morning...cool and very cloudy. We may have some snow in the next couple of days. I made what I hope is my final shopping run. M needed a couple of things for syd...target was not that crowded. 

I am going to mix the sugar cookies soon...they need to sit for 24 hours. Tomorrow syd and I will bake and she will wrap her mommys gifts. She is looking forward to having the next week and a half off.

Linda, I meant to ask what panettone was??? Glad dhs shoes will work out and that sil got his dental work completed.. Glad dgs job at Macy's is going well. Hope dh does not have issues at night. 

Claudia, it sounds as if Gryff has replaced tt for being mischievous. 

More dance drama..m complained to the owners about syds solo teacher ignoring her and having the dance too easy, plus favoring the other little girl. It sounds like syd may get a much better teacher. That would be good and get some pressure off her. The studio made a big mistake by giving the two girls the same teacher, who is young and easily swayed.

i will check back later.

Respected Contributor

Oh, that dance drama. Shaking my head. Poor Syd in the middle of it. I do hope she gets a better teacher.

I am taking Tigger, the oldest cat at 13+ to the vet late afternoon with Adam's help. She cries when patted and there appears to be loss of fur/rash on her neck. She is very reclusive. As far as I know there have been no fights. She just keeps to herself. It will be dark by the time I get to the vet so I need Adam to drive home as R can't possibly miss bowling.At least the happened before the holiday. I'd hate to have to use the er vet 60 miles away.

Btw, Barbara, when Syd gets her puppy have you considered pet insurance? I got it for Griffyn for illness and accident and have been pleased with it. It covered 90% of $600 back in May plus 90% of his latest problem- eating a quarter pound of butter. I could have paid a higher premium to cover shots and neutering but opted for coverage for the unexpected. I ended up going with Embrace which is affiliated with USAA.

Linda, I hope DH's shoes work out for him and he doesn't continue to have issues at night.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening!  Glad Adam could go to the vets with you, Claudia.  Pet insurance does sound like a wise purchase for a puppy.  

DH didn't have too much trouble last night, but he had an accident this morning.  Yuck!  At least it was trash day, and I had plenty of disinfectant spray.  I received DD's gift today (cookies and candy she and DGD made) -- she was very pleased that it arrived in time for Christmas.  I am in a weird mood -- really feel like gobbling a bunch of cookies and candy today.  But, I'll try to be good.

Sorry about the dance drama again, Barbara.  Hope you have a lot of fun making cookies with Syd.  Glad Target wasn't too crowded.  

Panettone is an Italian Christmas bread -- it contains yeast and needs to rise a couple of times, and includes candy fruit and raisins.  They sell them at my Wal-Mart (they come in a box), but I didn't wimp out quite that much.  It did cross my mind.  I will probably end up making some cookies and another dessert as well, but at least one thing is done.

We had the senior lunch program today, and that went pretty well.  DH's physical therapy appointment was for 2:00 (very nearby), and we got out of the lunch program a bit after 1:00.  So, we went for a short walk, and then waited.  The therapist practiced him getting up and down from chairs, walking, and the machine.  She told me that it seems like I'll need to watch him every time he sits down or gets up -- he is willing, but just doesn't remember things.  

Our weather wasn't very nice today -- barely made it to 60 degrees and was cloudy and a bit windy.  They are saying Saturday it may not even make it to 50 degrees.  I know that the weather has been unseasonably warm on the East Coast.  Not the case here, unfortunately.

DD seems to be doing pretty well.  The podiatrist removed my SIL's toenail, and that took longer than expected.  And, the meeting he was going in to work for was canceled, so he worked at home.  I think DD is a bit frazzled trying to get things done, but okay.

I went to the gym after we came home from physical therapy.  It was difficult to motivate myself, but I'm happy I got that done.  

Looking forward to my "day off" tomorrow.  I may go to a different caregivers meeting or just goof off.  There is so much cleaning to do that I keep putting it off.  But, I'm sure I'll get it done sometime.

Hope both of you sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

It was 60 degrees here too, Linda. We had rain this morning and fog but it cleared up. It might reach 60 degrees Christmas.

I got Tigger in the carrier easily for a change. I tracked her down to the kittens' bed in the closet, picked it up and slid it in the extra large cat carrier. It's one of the round beds for one cat or a couple kittens. In spite of being an indoor upstairs cat Tigger had a flea reaction. She had a shot and came home with antibiotic plus flea meds for her and all the others. Thank heavens Adam helped me treat everyone. They said it's due to the unseasonably warm weather.

I'm not surprised pt said you'll have to watch DH standing or sitting although he's willing. Mother was like that. No short term memory though she recalled enough to say she had holes in her memory. What a morning you had. At least it was garbage day.

Respected Contributor

Good morning..it is raining out...may turn to snow, but only an inch or so. Syd is all showered and sparkly...lready to bake cookies.

the cookies are my grandmothers recipe made with butter and sour cream. The consistency has to be perfect or they are difficult to roll out. Amie and I have tweaked the recipe so it usually works.

syd has a news solo teacher..one of the 4 sisters who own the studio..she is an excellent teacher and m is delighted. She is waiting for the fireworks when drama mom finds out.

claudia..hope the kitty is ok...glad Adam could help you. What are you planning for Christmad???

Libda...sorry that you had another mess to deal with. You are in my prayers because you are doing very difficult caregiving.glad launch went ok. I saw a piece on eating issues for dementiia patients. There are special plates and utensils you can order. I am not sure that would make a difference for his issues..

Syd is ready to bake cookies.,I will check back later. I am feeling good.