Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of August 9

Good Morning!  Hope things are getting better there, Claudia.  I have heard such good stories about hip replacements really helping.  Hope that is true with R.  How are your kittens, cats, and dogs?

Hope you found some good things to do in the rain, Barbara.  A five hour time difference is pretty bad.  When does Syd start school?  Two of my grandchildren and at least two of DH's started back yesterday (my oldest guy started last Monday).  Kind of nice that M is missing Syd so much.  I love fresh fruit myself, and I imagine you are finding some really good fruit in Hawaii.

Good news -- my handyman called, and he will be coming tomorrow to put in the shower head and the grab bar(s).  I will probably go ahead and have them put in the other bathroom (with the bathtub) as well as in the shower.  Also, our neighbor/builder came by to say that our kitchen cabinets will probably be in at the end of the week, and he will probably start work on them next week.  Apparently, the first set that came in was too short, or he would have been installing them sooner.

We had some rain last night, and it was cloudy and relatively cool on our walk this morning -- felt good.  We will be going to the senior lunch program and then the gym.  DH is pretty out of it -- keeps forgetting things.  I hope that he snaps out of this fog soon.  He tends to be up and down, but this is definitely a down period.

Hope both of you have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

It's not surprising your DH is somewhat out of it. The trip east and coming home probably confused him, Linda. I'm glad the grab bars and work on the kitchen are all coming together.

We had a VA trip today. On the way home I stopped at Wegman's for groceries. It was their senior citizens day - 5% off.

I stopped for stamps at the post office and mailed Whit's birthday card out plus my aunt's. I tried before we left for the VA but the line was too long. Whit started school this week and the boys too.

Ever since we got home Griff has been searching out trouble.

I have trouble with 3 time zones let alone 5 Barbara.

Tomorrow starts senior bowling which R is determined to do and this weekend a muzzleloader rendezvous.

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't realize yesterday was a VA day, Claudia.  No rest for the weary as my Mom used to say.  Hope the bowling isn't too much for R, and Griff is behaving himself for a change.  Glad you were able to get to Wegman's and the PO yesterday.  

Yesterday was tiring for me as well -- I'm sure not as tiring as your day.  In addition to out morning walk, senior lunch program, and gym, DH wanted to take an afternoon walk.  I didn't feel like it at all, but I didn't want to discourage him, so we went ahead and walked for 20 minutes or so.  Fortunately for me, it started raining after that, so we could come home.

My handyman is installing four grab bars (two for each bathroom), and then will change the shower head to the hand-held variety.  Nice to have that done.

I saw that the beach off a different part of Hawaii is polluted today, glad Barbara didn't have that problem.  Hope your trip home goes (is going) well, Barbara.  

Hope both of you have a good day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I did not post yesterday because we had another pool day and I was exhausted since I was in the pool a lot with syd. I was able to get a day room rate for today so we are cool and comfortable. Check out time is 10 am and our plane does not leave until 10 tonight so it would have been a lond day in high hiumidity and heat. This is better for all of us. 

No no beach pollution here, thank goodness. There have been some pretty bad rain in the islands and there has been a lot of flooding. 

Sydnie looks like she belongs here...she is very tan. 

Linda, glad you are getting the bars installed . Hope your cabinet work goes smoothly. The worse part of that is taking everything out.,

claudia, hope griff is being a better puppy today. Are your sisters doing ok???? It is going to take me a couple of days to recover from the time change. 

I may may take a nap before we leave..it might help me survive the overnight flight.

hope your day goes well.

Respected Contributor

Have a safe trip home, Barbara. Much better to pay a day room rate and avoid the humidity.

Anne had surgery today and as expected the tumor was localized and had not spread. She should be discharged tomorrow.

Yes R bowled and fell once at the start of bowling. He's insisting on going to his 4 day rendezvous as he's in charge of the range. He will be sitting and not doing much walking. The house is in more than usual chaos because of all his gear. Griff tipped over a hamper of clean clothes and dragged a nightshirt away to try to chew.

I went with R to Walmart and it took forever because he kept stopping and looking at things. I usually go in, get what I need, and get out.

I'm sure you were glad when the walk was over, Linda. On the one hand you didn't want to discourage DH from being active, on the other hand you really didn't want another walk. The grab bars will be a big help. BTW if DH ever starts wandering off thereis a product- Alert Me Bands. It is used for children and disabled adults and even a Great Pyrenees that has Downs Syndrome. There is a FB page.

We had rain today so no mowing if I even had the energy.

Respected Contributor

R is at his rendezvous. One trip home already for coffee. Then a phone call that he forgot a gift card for Sherm. That's on my to do list tomorrow after Griff is groomed.

I did get the back yard mowed just now. Earlier the people came by to do the estimate for the fence. Adam prefers the vinyl but I plan to go with chainlink so the posts don't need replaced.

While I was mowing Griff took the spare phone off the antique desk. I found the cord which he kindly unplugged behind the iron celtic cross. The base was by the loveseat and the phone by his crate.

I hope you had a good flight home Barbara and were able to sleep. Linda, I hope your day has gone well.

Esteemed Contributor

Boy, you have at least two "problem children", Claudia.  Glad you got some mowing done.  Happy your sister's cancer had not spread.

Thanks for the information about the product for "wanderers".  Hopefully, DH will not have that issue, but....  The local Sheriff's Auxiliary offers a free service where they take your picture and information plus give you sort of dog tags for men or a bracelet for women.  I am pretty impressed with their system, but we will see.  

Meanwhile, I took DH to the neurologist today, and told him that I don't think that DH is any better, and is actually worse.  I want to stop one of the medicines which is a bit pricey, and not generic.  The doctor said okay, so I'll just not renew it when he finishes the bottle.  In the meantime, the doctor prescribed an expensive dietary supplement for memory.  Guess you can't win.

The doctor said that he is not better, and there has been considerable memory loss in the 1 1/2 - 2 years since he was diagnosed.  DH could not answer many questions, and really messed up on simple things like the year, the month, how long we lived here, etc.  He did get a few things right, but.....  I told the doctor about the bathtub incident, and he asked if I had support.  I told him about my caregivers group, but not about possible adult day care, etc., since I have not told DH yet.  

Before the doctor visit, I had my strong bones workout, and after we came home and had lunch before we went to the store for a few things.  I stopped by the doctors office to set up my osteoporosis shot.  They kept not answering the phone, but then called when we were in the doctor's office.  Anyway, my plan is to go next Wednesday morning.  Next week is the last week they are doing anything since the doctor is leaving.

Oldest DGS got some encouragement from the coaches where he is interning.  The day before yesterday, a Dad attacked him.  Started yelling and pushing DGS in the chest over how he supposedly treated his son.  In fact, DGS only coaches the offense and this boy was on the defense.  And, he never said that stuff to the boy.  Poor DGS was shaken and worried he would lose his internship (not paid, but important to him).  Yesterday afternoon the head coach told him that this man had acted up before, and had a serious drug problem.  They definitely want DGS to stay, which is good.  Oh, I forgot, the Dad called DGS an ethnic slur name (anti-Hispanic).  What a mess.  The boy was crying, and DGS feels sorry for him having a Dad like that.  I'm just happy that he didn't push back or yell.  

I gave DH a shower/bath this morning, and it went pretty well.  He likes the grab bars.

Hope that you made it home okay, Barbara, and that you are feeling okay (if tired.)

Have a good evening!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Sometimes it's just easier to stop by the doctor's office than keep calling. I've found that with the VA clinic. Supposedly they are changing it so that the calls don't get routed to Erie and you leave a message. yes, stop one med and you end up with something else.  Poor DH seems to have significant losses over the past year and a half. Such a difficult situation.

I'm glad the new grab bars are helping. I bought new elastic laces for R's shoes as we can't find the new ones I bought last month. No wonder, his stuff is scattered on every flat surface that Griff can't reach.

What a shame DGS had to deal with that situation. He handled it well though. Coaching is a tough job especially with parents trying to tell the coach what to do.

Respected Contributor

Good morning. We made it back safely from Maui. The flight was fine except the plane was very warm. We were pretty tired but got some good sleep last night so feel okay today. It is rainy today but only 70. Next week is a big warm up. It feels good to be out of the very high heat and humidity we had in Hawaii.

today, I will unpack..have learned to wait a day to do that when I am not as tired. Have to get groceries .,syd has a bday party to attend so need to go gift shopping also.

linda..it is sad that dh has regressed so quickly. I hope the day care works out...you need to take care of yourself first. That is too bad about dogs encounter. That happens to my son every once in a while and it is not pleasant for him. Good thing the coaches supported him...hopefully they gave him some tactics to use. My best tavnique when dealing with crazy people was to walk away. 

Claudia..You accomplished a lot. Griff really gets into stuff. Men can be so stubborn at times. V tends to lose his glasses a lot. 

I am am going to star a new thread tomorrow. I will be back later.

Respected Contributor

Linda, I was thinking about the encounter dogs had. He did very well because dealing with crazy parents is difficult for those of us who have lots of experience. Unfortunately, that happens all throughout kid sports. I am sure the coach gave him some ideas on how to handle that.

back from grocery shopping...I am jet lagged a bit. Lol