Respected Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of August 14

Good morning...it is a pretty morning but heat and humidity are returning this week. It may rain on Friday so we will have to figure that out...but Saturday should be nice.

and yes I will never do another one.,I cannot believe how much stuff there is..I am a tossed but v likes to  save in case he might need it some day. And some day never comes. Lol. Syd still has way too much stuff...but next time it will be donations. 

Linda so good that your trip went well...dh is getting very good care . They are trained in how to move people...it will be so much better for you . I can only imagine how hard it was.

Claudia...hope things are going well. 

(Hugs))))))

Honored Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of August 14

Hi everyone,

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon!  Hate to be the one that mentions this, but you skipped a week in the title, Barbara.  No big deal, but....

Anyway, I'm glad you are having nice weather today.  It is hot here, but it was pretty nice when I took my walk this morning (around 6:00 a.m.)  I think our area should reach the high 90's or 100 degrees the next few days.  

I was a pretty bad stuff collector myself, Barbara.  But, DH was much worse.  When I came home, I realized there is plenty more to donate or trash.  But, I'm just too busy at the moment.  Hope you make some money on your yard sale after all this work.

Unfortunately, I did not accomplish a whole lot yesterday, but I'm hoping that I will get more done this afternoon/evening.  I stopped by the facility after church, and DH was sitting in the same chair sleeping.  I tried talking to him, but he just could not keep his eyes open for the longest time.  Eventually, one of the caregivers came over, and she worked with the other aide to get him up.  He nearly fell this morning -- a chair slid back when he tried to sit on it, so she thought maybe he was nervous.  We walked back to his room, and she changed him -- I was very surprised that she could get his Depends on over his shoes, etc.  She asked me to bring a sweater, eye drops (which I had brought but were lost), and hydrocortisone cream to help with his rash.  After that, he and I walked around the building a few times, and he perked up.  They offered to have me for lunch, but I declined.  Went home to change for the gym, and pick up things for DH.  I stopped by there after the gym, and they were trying to feed him lunch.  But, he kept nodding off between bites.  I had that problem as well.  It is a relief that they are taking such good care of him and know "the tricks of the trade."

My fasting for the colonoscopy starts tomorrow morning, so I picked up some jello and apple juice.  Not looking forward to this one bit, but.....

Thanks for the nice graphic, meallen.  Hope you are having a good Sunday as well.

Waves to Claudia -- hope your trip is going well.

Have a nice evening everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

We got home late yesterday afternoon. I tried to post while we were gone but had no luck I'm about to pick up a few groceries. Still tired as the shuttle picked us up yesterday morning at 3:30 AM

More later after I catch up on a few things.

Respected Contributor

I apologize for another incorrect date. I was thinking a week ahead because I want the garage sale to done...lol.

Linda..good luck with the colonoscopy prep. I get mural ax and gator aid which is an easier prep than the gallon of stuff.,I quit eating 3 days in advance...just liquids..it makes stuff much easier..lol.  I have to have one every 3 years. I know you will undergo a huge adjustment being alone at home. But dh is getting excellent care and the do have tricks to get thing accomplished.

i ran to the store for good for most of the week. Syd is at another dance camp. So it will be a quiet week.

claudia...glad you are home safely. 

Linda, I do not know if you like essential oils but lavender and chamomile are very relaxing and stress relieving.

i will be back.

Respected Contributor

The minute I realized the date was wrong, I thought "Barbara just wants that garage over".

It was a smaller reunion than other years. Part of the reason is there isn't much recruiting of new younger members. R only heard of it when he was patrolling the national forest campgrounds a year or two before he retired.

One of his buddies took 5 of us to dinner Thursday night along with his sons. R ate all his dinner plus later finished mine.. it was a pub style place. He had shepherd's pie plus various Indian appetizer. Unfortunately he paid the price for all that food about 2 am when he had a mad dash to the bathroom.

Friday was the 1/5 dinner at Papacitos. His company commander and wife picked up that Bill. Saturday was the banquet. For some reason the past two years the dinner is after the speeches which went on and on. The previous president evidently changed it. Even though he is no longer president he acts like he is and not in a good way.  I believe he is WW2 and Korea era. The current president is younger. Vietnam and Korea I think and disabled. It would take a very determined person to put the former president in his place and the current president seems unable to. One couple left during the speeches as they were hungry. I wish I had.

I heard the association had to pay a large fine to the hotel because the number of attendees was smaller than that specified in the contract. Next year is Norfolk, VA.

Linda, I don't envy you the next couple days of liquid diet.  One very good thing about DH's memory place is that if he can't get up there's more than one person to help. It will take some time to get used to the change. Take it easy on yourself.

Esteemed Contributor

Glad you are back home, Claudia.  Too bad the reunion was smaller, etc.  I'd sure hate to wait for all those speeches to be done to eat.  

I sort of figured that was the reason for the incorrect date, Barbara. LOL At least you know that you tried and not to bother to do so again.  Hope Syd likes her camp.

I have a lavender spray from Bed, Bath, and Beyond that is supposed to help you sleep.  I'll try to remember to use it tonight.  I'll also look for those essential oils.

I visited DH this morning, and he was in his room -- nodding off/sleeping sitting on a chair.  One of the caregivers helped me get him up, and we walked around the inside of the building lots of times.  Eventually, a caregiver helped me get him into a chair in the living room.  I think lunchtime was soon.  Of course, the food smelled great, and I wanted to get out of there before my stomach went crazy.

After I left the house, I went to talk to the director.  They had said that DH could move to the room next door if I placed him permanently, but there was some one in the room.  The director said that he could stay in the room he is in now, and they will move out their furniture.  That seems like a great solution since I did not want to have to move him to a different house now that the caretakers are learning how to handle him, etc.  I called the nurse before I visited, and she said he is doing okay physically.  We went over a few things, and I think all will go fine.  I am afraid I'm sort of a helicopter wife at this point..  

I went to the thrift store to look for a dresser, but no luck.  I found a sweatshirt and a flannel overshirt for him, and they were half price (total of $2.50.)  

DD said that Army DGS could not get his ID today despite waiting for over an hour to do so.  The computers were not working.  She did get/order books for all three kids, and she has purchased quite a few things for the grandson who is going away to college.  Oldest DGS did pay for his car insurance, but apparently was traumatized when she told him to do a bank transfer, etc.  Pretty funny.  He needs to get used to paying bills, so I'm happy.

I went to the storage room and got out the last box and swept the room.  Then, I turned in the key.  We had paid through mid October, and the lady said she thinks we will get a small refund, which is great.

Hope everyone sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Back from lunch with a friend. We have known each other for over 30 years when I went back to work full time. It is always fun to see her.

the floor will be finished tomorrow morning so I can put thie room back together. There is nothing to do for the garage sale until Thursday. I think we may luck out with the weather.. I have some one set to pick up the leftovers on Tuesday.

v got his class action lawsuit settlement. Unfortunately the fees took about 70 % of the total but I guess that is normal. I told him this was normal, according to a couple of people I talked to. It is better than nothing.

Linda, hope all went well this morning.,I always end up sleeping a lot afterwards. Sounds as if you are getting things organized for dh.. It is good that dgd is paying his own bills...would he ever think of living on his own. Of course, housing is pretty expensive out there. 

Claudia.yiur trip sounded interesting. I hate to sit through speeches before eating. Did r enjoy himself??? It is nice they still get together. I bet the dogs were glad to see you.

hope your day is going well and that you got something to eat, linda.

Respected Contributor

Linda, it's great you could turn in the storage room key. I know you wanted to get rid of renting the storage unit and you did it ahead of schedule. One more thing off the "to do" list.

I'm glad DH did not have to change rooms. That makes his adjustments,went easier. I saw a FB picture of his DD and Gideon vacation. Hope they are enjoying themselves.

I mowed out back this morning because rain is forecast each day through Saturday. Did a couple errands this afternoon. It is 86 degrees.

R got his replacement phone and a tablet from Verizon. The old one was still under warranty and was not charging. I dropped the old one at the UPS pickup point.

R seemed to enjoy the reunion. There were several people he had hoped to see that didn't attend.

Barbara, I imagine you're happy the new floor is almost done. It's too bad lawyers took most of the settlement. Your talk of lunch reminded me I need to call my college roommate and see how she is. Hopefully we can meet for lunch.

Esteemed Contributor

Glad you had a nice lunch with your friend, Barbara, and your floor is almost finished.  Too bad V didn't get more money from the class action lawsuit.  I have heard that they are mostly a boon for lawyers.

Good that R enjoyed the reunion and got his new phone, etc., Claudia.  Yes, I'm happy about the storage room.  I think DH's DD and the girls are having a good time.

Sorry I'm late in posting, it has been one of those days.  I slept a little better (sprayed the sheets, etc.), thank goodness.  I went for an early walk, and stopped by to talk to our neighbor/builder's wife on the way home.  They did not know about DH moving into the facility, etc., so there was quite a lot to discuss.  Their son may be able to move the chair this weekend (he is staying with them temporarily).  He works for Homeland Security (I think) and was transferred from Michigan to Arizona.  He may not stay here long since he may get a job with a big promotion in Texas.  They have purchased a house not too far away, and they will move there when they finish renovating it (foreclosure left vacant for three years).  I will miss having them nearby, but....  She told me that the lady next door seems to be suffering memory issues, and there was more good and bad news.

We had quite a storm this morning -- they call them monsoons.  But, now the sun is out.  

DH seemed to be better today when I visited him -- he was awake for a change.  And, he seemed to follow more of what I said to him.  We took a walk outside since the rain cooled us down quite a bit.  Very nice.  Later, the director called to set up his beard and hair trim tomorrow.  I left some money, but it is not enough for the tip.  So, I'll bring a tip before the barber/hairdresser goes there on Friday.  I asked about eating there, and I'm welcome to do so at no charge.  Very nice!  

I came home to take my yucky medicine, and spent quite a while on the toilet.  It is strange -- I had to take the first dose at noon, and the second dose at 7:00, plus a bottle of stuff at 8:00.  Hopefully, I will be able to sleep tonight and get this procedure done first thing tomorrow.  Also hope they don't find any problems.

DD said that Army DGS was able to get his ID with no problem this morning.  I am sure oldest DGS will move out someday Barbara, but he doesn't seem to be in any hurry to do so.  Of course, he doesn't have a well-paying job at this point.  More than minimum wage, but not much more.  He is doing volunteer coaching at the high school after work.

The pharmacy tried to deliver medicine for DH this afternoon, and the driver seemed surprised that he was not here.  He said that he could have called me, which is true, of course.  Yikes!

Hope everyone sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda