Respected Contributor

REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of April 12

Happy EAster Sunday. Our livestream church service was nice. We did our out door bruch with our friend..they have a big car port so we sat much farther than 6 feet apart.she put the food out and had separate serving utensils. I think it was safe.

my ham turned out to be a disaster..it was cheap and afte v cut into it, I knew why..

very fatty...I was able to save enough for dinner .yikes. 

it is snowing in Mn...m thought they will get about 6 inches. Quite the contrast to here.

i hope you are having a blessed EAster.😇😇

Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS. Week of April 12

[ Edited ]

Happy Easter!  It is beautiful here, Barbara.  I sure don't envy M -- 6 inches of snow-- yikes!  Glad you had a nice brunch with your friends.   I am saving my holiday dinner for later in the day.  I used to have my Easter meal a bit after normal lunch time up to 3:00 or so.  That gave me plenty of time after church to get things ready.  But, I wanted something to look forward to later today.

Sorry about your ham.  That sounds awful.  

My church service was good -- on-line, of course.  Good message and music.  

Hope you, R, and your furbabies are doing okay, Claudia.  Wonder what you decided on the TSV.  I was thinking of the aqua, but became interested in the red after you mentioned it.  In the meantime, I found the last year version on eBay (new with tags and no shipping) -- blue stripe.  The price was about $10 less than for the TSV, which I think is good.  Not sure if I will order the new version or not.  Decisions, decisions.

DD promised to call today, and she did before my church service. (Deleted some information).

DD had a cookout on the deck -- hamburgers and hot dogs.  Youngest DGS had purchased a grill, and wanted to try it out.  

As you may have seen on the other thread, the facility where DH lived for two years has five cases among the patients and three among the caregivers.  There are 10 "houses" with at most 10 people in each, so this seems pretty significant to me.  The nursing home not far away has more cases, and there are more than 40 confirmed cases in my zipcode.  Of course, that includes the facilities, but....  I understand that they closed down the Walgreens for deep cleaning and put the staff on vacation for two weeks due to a staff member coming down with the virus. 

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Sorry about that ham, Barbara. What an unpleasant surprise. I'm glad you had a nice time with your friends while taking all precautions. No more snow here but we may get storms tomorrow.

A fairly quiet day here. R is bored. If he starts to read he falls asleep. It did warm up today and was sunny. Young feral was on the porch this morning peering in the storm door.  I'm sure he was saying - hurry, hurry I is very hungry kitten. Lol. I took my clothes out of the dryer, folded them and they're in a laundry basket in the shower so the cats can't tip the basket over. I'll get them out away in a bit.

We had stuffed pork chops along with cut up parsnips for supper. 

What a nice surprise to talk to eldest grandson and HIS WIFE, Linda. I hope her mother doesn't cause any more drama. I've lived through drama and it sure wasn't fun. Once we considered getting married Mother's friends called saying "think how you'll feel when your mother dies and you weren't married in a church". Then she sent the vicar of her church over to my office. I hope DGS and his wife will be very happy.

Respected Contributor

Linda..congrats to dgs and his wife. I wish them much happiness.

Esteemed Contributor

I'll be back later, but just FYI -- DGS' marriage is not public knowledge (particularly her parents).  Not that either of you know them, etc., but I think I probably should have not shared the information and would appreciate you keeping that quiet.

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon...we tried to groom pepper but the clippers did not work. She has mega hair..so 2x as much as a normal mini schnauzer and the clippers were not strong enough..

they were very cheap..so I am sending them back and ordered a sturdier pair..yikes

Things remain very quiet around here. I placed a grocery order for pickup next Saturday, the first day available. 

Linda..I would not say anything about what you told on any public forum. Not to worry...I hope your day is going well. I am still finding enough to entertain myself, but I miss not being able to have a good visit with my friends.

Claudia.hope your day is good. I saw there was an uptick in cases in pa, but I believe it was the Philadelphia area. 

I really hope much thought is given as to when the country reopens.

Stay safe and find some peace. 😇😇

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon/Evening!  That seems like a long time to wait for groceries, Barbara.  But, I know many people are ordering on-line for pick-up these days. 

I was just in a Caregivers video conference call, and the director of adult day care (currently not open) said her staff is grocery shopping for the residents in their community (independent living, etc.), and they spend from 8 - 1 every day just buying groceries.  Most of the residents also pay for meals -- at least one per day, and those are being delivered to their doors.  She also mentioned that there are a lot of orders for wine.

One of the ladies was calling in from Wisconsin, and I know she envied our weather -- difficult to do much outdoors when it is so cold.

Another lady had a very sad story -- her husband was in an assisted living home on hospice.  She visited him regularly until they said no visits.  When they finally told her she could visit, he had already passed away.  I think he died rather suddenly. 

Another lady who was taking care of her Dad said that he had gone to the hospital (different hospitals) three times due to an infection (not COVID).  The EMT's didn't want to take him, and the hospitals sent him home quickly, which was not good.  I feel lucky that I am not in their positions.

That is something about Pepper.  Hope you get the new clippers soon.  

Your dinner sounded nice, Claudia.  

As you may have seen on the other thread, DH's daughter called yesterday evening, and we had a nice talk.  Totally unrelated to the virus, she and many of the staff are not happy with their boss.   They are writing to the hospital administrator about his personnel practices, etc. (like suddenly firing several doctors), and she is prepared to get a job at a different hospital.  She has been there for quite a while, so it wasn't an easy decision.  She also told me that DH's grandson may end up going to college in Maryland rather than out-of-state colleges (like the University of Washington and one of the California State schools) since he has never even seen their campuses.  Really difficult for the graduating seniors.

Hope you, R, and your furbabies are doing okay, Claudia, and both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- I watched the Andrea Bocelli concert on You Tube and thought it was great.

Respected Contributor

Not to worry, Linda. I wouldn't say anything even if I knew them. I've been through people passing info on that was meant to be kept quiet.

It's been a windy rainy day here. I just had to pick up one of our garbage cans that had been blown against the fence. Tippy was barking and looking towards the street.  I checked and sure enough a certain young feral was on the front steps complaining that he was hungry. I can get within a foot of him. Once this quarantine ends I have hopes of getting him neutered and vaccinated.

I did have to go out and pick up some chicken, canned tuna, and ground beef for the week. When I use something now I try to replace it. I also found some yeast packets. R's idea of running out of something before replacing it has gone out the window at least for now.

I had an email from Chewy. Pippen's special food comes from there. Even though it's on auto delivery and expected to be shipped the 20th, they suggested I order now because of shipping delays.

Barbara, I hope the new trimmers work well. Tippy is overdue for grooming but I have no choice at this point. Griffyn will be due the first part of May. I hope they can reopen by then.

Everyone I've heard from says pick up orders take a week or more. Fingers crossed you get everything you ordered.

It is certainly a heartbreaking situation for the ladies in your caregivers group, Linda.  Your DH's daughter has a tough work situation. I hope she can move to a hospital with a better administrator.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  It is lovely here -- mid 70's and sunny.  I took my walk earlier, so now I'm taking a break from cleaning.  Goodness knows there is plenty of cleaning to do.

Absolutely nothing exciting going on here.  DD's two outdoor faucets were cracked, and she used a plumber from the company where DGS works to fix them.  Her regular plumber was not returning her calls, and she was afraid water from the faucets would hurt the foundation.  Fortunately, he was able to repair them, and the price wasn't too high.

I was talking to her about the hand soap shortage around here, and she suggested trying Bath and Body Works.  I used to have  tons of their soap from times when she gave them to me as a gift, but all this hand washing has depleted my supply.  Anyway, I did place an order with them, and they had a special on six bottles.  That should last a while, but it will only be arriving at the end of the month or even May.  I have a couple of bottles from Wal Mart that I hope will last. 

Hope you, V, and Pepper are doing okay, Barbara.  And you, R, and your furbabies as well, Claudia.  I never got into the waiting to buy until things were gone, so that would not be a change for me.  Now I don't feel so bad about overbuying. LOL  Glad you were able to get some things you needed.

Have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..it has been a  ot good day for me. My left knee was bothering me yesterday and when I tried to get up this morning, I could not walk on it..it was very swollen and hot. Good old ra again.thank goodness I have that walker. So I have kept it elevated and iced as I can. I can limp with it now. Unfortunately, v had to do the laundry ..lol.

it is very nice here.

Linda..that is so sad about the woman's husband dying. My dear friend from high school has in home hospice for. Her dh..he has Alzheimer's. She said the hospice folks do not come as often as normal because of the virus. It is very difficult.

we are resisting our home..lowered the price and new photos. M is not handling it well..I really yelled at her this morning about how her negativity was affecting Sydnie. I know it helped to straighten her up.yikes

v still has his bladder infection so no treatment this week.arghhh

Claudia...pepper has a very unique food but her vet did order more. I hope your weather improves soon. I will you know if the new trimmers work. She is a pretty shaggy little dog.

have a peaceful evening. 💕💕