Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS Christmas week

It was around 50° today and the ice is gone . I was able to complete the yard cleanup. I drove out for the raw milk but the market was closed. I wonder if they take off the week between Christmas and New Year's.

Last night Tip tried to get upstairs when I went up. She dearly wants to investigate the cats. Some wouldn't mind. Others wouldn't be pleased at all. I tried to quickly close the door  and boy my shoulder wasn't happy. I've tried to limit lifting things today. Tip is just as fast and sneaky as TT.

Barbara, I hope you will be happy with the real estate agent. It's a big help to have a recommendation. I hope the storm bypasses you.

Linda, I bought a Brother laser printer over a year ago at office supply and have been happy with it. We did not get a color one. When we had the inkjet it seemed I was constantly replacing the ink. We needed it infrequently and the ink would dry up. At the end I was replacing it every few weeks.

I find I need petite pants now. Long skirts need to be petite too.

Christmas Eve I ordered the dogs' food online as I found they were out of large breed locally. Since the owner was on vacation it would be at least 2 weeks before the store received it. I wish I'd known sooner. I checked and what I ordered won't arrive till Thursday. I will need to get  10-15 pounds of another brand to hold us over. At least I'm well stocked on cat food.

Another VA trip Monday. I hope this mild weather continues.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning!  My new printer is a Brother monochrome as well, Claudia.  Hope it works as well as yours.  Also hope your shoulder is okay.  That Tippy -- still a challenge.  Sorry you won't get the dog food for a while, and hope you find another brand to tide you over.

I think our area was colder than yours yesterday -- never made it up to 50 degrees.  It should be warmer today, but tonight quite cool (upper 20's), and I will need to cover my plants.  Fingers crossed your weather will be okay on Monday.

Last night I had quite a few weird dreams, and some included you, Barbara.  All I remember is that we were out to dinner -- your whole family and mine, but all sorts of things went wrong.  Yikes! 

I was upset because I found that my cable TV bill is going up another $6 for no good reason.  Being pushed to get rid of the TV part, get an antenna, and just pay for the internet.  The internet is quite good, but I think the TV is totally overpriced.  Anyway, I didn't get to sleep as quickly as usual trying to figure out how to accomplish the switch.  There is a local guy who gives classes on "cutting the cord", but I think I need someone to help with installing the antenna plus telling me what to do with the cable company.  Just writing this has me stressed, LOL.

Nothing exciting planned here -- laundry, financial review, and hospice visit. 

Hope your meeting with the real estate agent goes well, Barbara, and both of you have a nice Saturday.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..having the real estate agent coming spurred m into a cleaning frenzy. Sydnie picked up and reorganized her roo, and m cleaned downstairs, including her room. Amazing..lol

we had an ice storm this morning..lots of crashes...

no travel,advised. The big snow is about 60 miles north of us..I am going no where.

Linda, your printer sounds nice. We still have cartridge printers that work just fine.we have thought about cutting the cord, but v likes some shows that you need cable or satellite for. I laughed about the dream you had..I find dreams fascinating.

i was talking to amie and vyrn, who are both avid Star Wars fans about the last movie and we agreed that if you hadn't grown up with it and seen all off tge movies, you'd might not like it. 

Claudia..hope your shoulder is better. Thattippy is quite the dog. Pepper tried to go through the glass door trying to get a squirrel.

enjoy yiur day.🥰🥰

Respected Contributor

It's a good thing Pepper is small. Griffyn would be through that glass door, Barbara. I can picture M frantically picking up along with Syd. Your weather sounds nasty. It's a good day to stay home.

Today was in the 40's. I picked up a bag of Purina Pro Plan at Tractor Supply. That's the brand Tip's breeder used along with Nutrisource. I hated spending extra money since 2 bags of the Nutrisource are being shipped but... At least I won't run out of dog food any time soon.

Our former sil had the boys for 4 hours this afternoon and had the boys call and talk to us. Adam was at work.

Linda, it seems the cable and other bills always go up. Ours is bundled with the internet and landline. I would just have basic cable but R wants extras.

Honored Contributor

Linda @LindaLatte  I got rid of cable more than a few years ago.  I assume cable is still like it was then with a cable coming into your house and attached to a cable box.  Cable box is attached to the TV. 

If you want to experiment, you could pick up a cheap rabbit ear antenna.  I tend to buy RCA or Phillips and I think I get them from Target. 

You can unscrew the cable that comes from the cable box and goes into your TV.  

The antenna has a cord and the end can be screwed onto your TV.  Believe it or not, there is a place for the antenna on your TV. 

Once you hook up the antenna, play with it for a few days and see what kind of channels you pull in.  If you find that it's okay and you can live with it, then cancel cable.

When I cancelled cable, I left full cable on the tv upstairs and tried antenna on the tv downstairs.  After 2 weeks I realized that I rarely went upstairs to watch the TV that had the cable so I felt comfy calling the cable company to cancel.

Going antenna TV can be an adjustment.  I'm fortunate that I seem to be located within a reasonable distance from lots of broadcasting stations. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the information, Bernie.  Around here, people seem to put antennas on the roof (not like the old antennas, I understand), or put them on their windows/walls rather than have the rabbit ears.  But, I think that I will investigate further.  I keep getting different "packages" from the cable company (giving up channels I like -- HGTV, for example), but they continue to raise the prices.  Frustrating to say the least.  DD gave up cable, but I think they pay for some streaming services and have Smart TVs.  If possible, I would like to use my "old" TVs rather than buying new ones.  

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your experiences.

Linda