Esteemed Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLICS Christmas week

Good Morning!  

I'm so sorry about your plumbing problems, Claudia.  I hope they are resolved soon, but I'm sure the waiting will be bad.  Glad you have a portapotty, but.....  Hope you are having a somewhat decent day.

Your breakfast sounds nice, Barbara.  Do you mean Versa 2?  That is what I have, and so far, so good.  I know selling your house and moving will be traumatic, but I hope you get a good real estate agent, and it will go as smoothly as possible.  When I sold my house, we packed as much as we could in the car -- it was really overfilled, but......

I did go to church yesterday afternoon, and they had a "candlelight" service (with battery operated candles).  The minister's daughter sang, and she has a very nice voice.  Turns out that yesterday was her 26th birthday.  I know she had some very serious health issues, but she seems to be doing better.  I think she is taking some time off and living with her parents for a while.

When I got home from the service it was dark, and I was feeling very down for no good reason.   I decided to get up a little later than usual this morning, and finish a book I was reading. 

Rather than jump into a walk or breakfast, I opened my Christmas gift -- huge box that came yesterday.  It was so nice -- DD put together an assortment of things she knew I would like including some make up and brushes (I requested), plus a bunch of Maryland items (tea towel, special cup, etc.), Italian cookies, and a set of Scottish soaps, hand creams, etc.  Nothing broke, thank goodness.  I was very touched by the effort she put into selecting gifts.   

While I was finally preparing breakfast, she called with the wonderful news -- oldest DGS just got engaged.  He brought his new fiance to meet the family, and she sounds like a wonderful match.  She is tall  (five feet 11 inches), and slim. (He is tall and slim as well.) The youngest of four -- three girls and a boy and local.  Anyway, they plan to get married before DGS is transferred to New Hampshire.  But, they do not know when that might be -- perhaps as soon as next month or in the spring.  If they marry very soon, they will probably just go to the courthouse and then have a party later.  I had a chance to talk to him, and he sounds so happy.  She is 24, so I figure she knows what she wants, and she wants him.

DD and I are so excited and happy as well.  I really hope that I can get to the wedding and/or party.  He gave her a nice engagement ring, and they visited her family before coming over to DD's house.  

My plans for the day are to go for a walk, and finally "buckle down" to cleaning.  Need to keep away from cooking so as not to distract myself from what needs to be done.

Sending special holiday hugs to both of you.

Linda

Respected Contributor

Linda, congrats on oldest dgs engagement. What a happy time.

i think it is understandable for you to feel down. If I were close, I would visit you. 💕💕

I am hoping the move will not be too bad. I am glad that we have a home we like with lots of good friends. I believe that my kids will make it easy. M is acting excited..fingers crossed that it all works. Out

Respected Contributor

Linda, congratulations for eldest DGS. I hope you can attend the wedding or party. Nice you had a package to open. Your DR out a lot of effort into her choices.

Selling the house will be a pain but at least you already have the AZ house and won't need to move a lot of furniture. I'm glad Sydnie enjoyed Christmas.

Adam called and we had a long chat. It's his birthday also. Other than that it's been a blah day. I managed to vacuum upstairs traumatizing various cats. R will call the emergency # for the reputable plumber this evening. R goes hunting tomorrow at 5 am. Hopefully we can get the plumber to come tomorrow.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  I think it is much better to move when you already have a house and furniture, Barbara.   Also good that you have nice neighbors in Arizona.  When DH and I were looking for a place, we thought a retirement area would not be a good idea since we would not be around younger people, etc.  However, I am so happy we moved here since there is so much to do and so many people around my age.  We do have a "regular" community nearby, but I miss more contact with children, but not enough to want to move.  

Glad you were able to talk to Adam on his birthday/Christmas, Claudia.  Hopefully, the plumber is there right now, and things will be repaired soon.  

There have been some changes on the marriage front since yesterday.  Now, her parents want to give them a wedding, and they want it in the spring.  DD pointed out that there might be issues if they are not married, but moving to New Hampshire.  Things like health insurance, etc.  I'm sure it will work out, but...,  DD is going to invite the parents for dinner next month (after the holiday rush is over for DGS).  I think that is a good idea. 

I also found out that second DGS' boss is still there.  She had her baby very prematurely, and he is not doing well health-wise.  He has already had a couple of heart operations, and was in the NICU until this weekend. and now is in a special facility.  His Mom (DGS' boss) only visits him once a week, which DD and I just can't understand (none of our business).  But, I guess DGS has not gotten the short-term promotion he expected while his boss was off with the baby.  

My TB test was negative (thank goodness), but I did get a bruise.  I'm back from the gym, and plan to call my patient's son to see if I can visit soon.

Sort of patting myself for doing quite a bit of cleaning and even paper filing/trashing yesterday.  Not my favorite jobs for sure, and I tend to procrastinate a lot.  I clean and pick up, but don't do a thorough job.

Hope both of you are having a nice day, and your plumbing problems are resolved, Claudia.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. I found out that oldest DGS is 6' 31/2" -- they will be a very tall couple. 

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..we are back from the latest Star Wars movie. I love those movies and this was excellent. We watched The Lord of the Rings trilogy yesterday...that took about 10 hours to watch..I love good fantasy. 

m is taking down the few decorations we put up...this may have been our last Holiday in this house.

Linda..I enjoy our retirement community for the same reasons. Sounds as if plans are moving for dgs wedding. Amie and Murry lived in Oregon for a year before they were married  and had no insurance issues. Where does your dgs get his height from.

Claudia hope you get the plumbing issues fixed today. Glad you had a nice talk with adam

left overs tonight so I do not have to cook. 😍😍

Respected Contributor

The plumbing issues are resolved thank goodness. It was 51° this afternoon. There's still some snow and ice. I carefully trudged around cleaning the back yard. R has not returned yet from hunting. He did call around noon to say his hip was hurting and he had to stop twice to rest when they headed in for lunch. Part of his problem may be he's wearing boots so no insert like the ones in his shoes.

Glad you enjoyed the Star Wars movie and the LORD trilogy, Barbara.

My electric throw arrived today.

Linda, it sounds like the wedding plans are starting. My brother is the same height as your eldest gs.

Esteemed Contributor

My SIL is tall, Barbara.  Perhaps a little shorter than DGS, but tall.  His Father was tall, but his Mom was very short.  And, my whole family was pretty short.  

Funny thing, my three grandsons went to see the Star Wars movie, and hated it, Barbara..  I was surprised since they usually love those movies.  Glad you enjoyed it.   DD was taking down her decorations, but I'm not ready yet. 

Maybe the insurance thing won't be an issue, but I'm not sure.  It may be different since she is an nanny rather than having a job that usually comes with insurance benefits.  Glad it isn't my problem.

Happy to hear about your plumbing, Claudia.  Hope R isn't too sore when he comes home.  You have a tall brother.  I guess you are fairly tall, at least taller than me -- currently 5' 2" down from 5' 4" before osteoporosis hit. 

My hospice patient was very happy to see me -- she is such a nice lady.  

Respected Contributor

5'5" or maybe 5 '6"  on a good day. Lol. Dad was 5'10" but mother about 5 '1" . I recall my brother once he was taller than mother patting her on the head. I'm the shortest of my sisters and brother.

I'm glad you we able to visit your hospice patient, Linda.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..we are awaiting a big storm...it will miss us but 50 miles north of here could be bad. V3 is supposed to come for a football game tomorrow, but he said they may stay home because their area is to get hit badly.

i talked to my sister in law wth was a real estate agent for years and she recommended someone who is coming out tomorrow afternoon. It will be a learning experience.

Linda..I had no idea your sil was that tall..my brothers are both almost 6.3.  I am still very close ton5.9. Both of my grandfathers were well over 6 ..v has shrunk down to 5.6

that was nice of you to bring your hospice patient .you are so kind.

Claudia..hope things are quiet at your house. Pepper is snoozing on vs lap. 

enjoy the rest of your day.

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting about your height, Claudia.  I wish that I hadn't lost two inches, but.....  I guess the positive is that I can easily wear petites now.  In the past, they could be a little too short, and regular was too long.  

I was surprised about DGS' height, Barbara.  I think the last I heard, he was an inch shorter.  He is the tallest by far.  Youngest DGS is about six feet, but middle DGS is only about 5'9", and DGD is 5'8".  Good that you are still tall, but it is a shame about V's loss of height.  Hope things go okay with the real estate agent.  Some can be very nice and helpful, and others not so much.  Hope you avoid the worst of the storm.

It has been a rainy and cool day here -- only in the 40's for our high.  It may go down into the 20's on Saturday night.  Yikes!   

After getting angry about changing my ink jet printer too often, and the cost of the cartridges going up and up, I decided to purchase a laser printer from Amazon. It came today, and it took me a while to set up -- not bad, but I was worried for a while. 

Fortunately, the grocery store was much less crowded today than yesterday when I picked up the flowers.  But, it was raining off and on, so it wasn't that much fun going to the stores.  

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda