Respected Contributor

Re: REFORMED SHOPAHOLIC s. Week of May 22

I'm glad yesterday was better for DH and you, Linda. I could not do all you do.. so far R is doing well post surgery.

A. It is quite warm out but I am sitting here with a down jacket on and an ice pack for my head. Yep, still sick. It's gone to my ears so my hearing is worse than usual.

I never got a look at the lugs tsv. Enjoy it, Barbara. I have several totes I brought back from the trip. I gave my cat sitter one from Harrods pvc coated because of all her animals. Also a Harrods key chain. I picked up several. She called and wants to buy one of the extras. The young girl who drives her gs to school had a heck of a time yesterday. Poor Chandler was sick in the car. She took care of him then had to clean her car before igoing on to school herself. Tina thought the key chain would be something she didn't have.

Hope Sydnie can plant her garden.  We had hail Sunday.

Respected Contributor

Rae are having a pretty good thunderstorm ...v is trying to watch tv but the satellite goes out when it storms like this.  I am going to rearrange my closet to put my summer tops in .

syd did not get her garden plNted yesterday...the plants look good so it will be done on Saturday.  

I had had a wonderful time at the retirement party..law people I had not seen in many years and received compliments on how good I looked. For an old lady with white hair that was nice to hear...lol. My expensive rod an and fields skin regimen must be paying off 😜

I hope ope you feel better soon, claudia. Glad r is healing well.

Linda..hope things are ok with you.

i will check back later.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning!  I certainly hope you are feeling better, Claudia.  It sounds like you were really struck down by whatever you caught.  Hope R continues to recover from his surgery.

The gifts you brought back sound since.  I bought some Christmas decorations from Harrods and I still put them on the tree -- actually had doubles since I brought some home from my Mom.  I found that was a great gift for her when I took trips  -- Christmas decorations and jewelry didn't take up much space and were very appreciated.  I'm sure the totes and key chains will be as well.

Hope you like the VB luggage, Barbara.  I have found that I really need organization in my bags.  I have a VB purse (using it now), and I had to put in one of those bag organization things that I had purchased from here.  Also hope the mud isn't too bad and Syd was able to do the planting.

Things went fairly well yesterday, except when we got home from day services.  DH had an accident, and he didn't eat much of his lunch.  I gave him things to eat on the way home.  He slept pretty well (only got up once around 4:00), and he told me I didn't need to get up with him -- that was sweet if not true.  We did better this morning, and his caregiver is with him now.  

Army DGS does not need to go to the special PT training next month since he passed the test.   He has his two week duty in July, and he does not know whether he will be going to sergeant school this summer or not.  

I have a newcomers lunch today -- it will be nice to get out to a restaurant for a change.    I'll probably stop by the grocery store, and do a little more paper shredding as well.  I don't know why I was saving all those utility bills, etc.  But no more.

Have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Glad to read that yesterday was a pretty good day, Linda. A decent night's sleep helps too. Enjoy your lunch.

Our satellite goes out too during storms. It seems we'll have your stormy weather starting tomorrow, Barbara. I'll try to mow in a bit. It's always wonderful to hear how well you look at a get together.

Finally I found the missing keyring. I also found the missing water bill and that has been mailed.

I think we will skip R's reunion. It's in Houston this year. Next year will be in the eastern part of the country. Past years have been Philly, Nashville, Charleston, D.C. Plane fare to Houston would be about what we paid to fly to London. With a refrigerator to purchase plus saving towards the sink and dishwasher replacement it makes sense to stay put. Plus R has another firearms must have. I told him his tombstone will say - I just need one more. Mine will read -  she just wanted a workable kitchen. Lol. He'll never change.

I have hopes of taking a trip to OK  late fall or early spring.

Feeling a bit better today. Just in time to mow. I had better take allergy medicine first. Tomorrow there's the three VA appointments.

While overseas I replaced my 2 wheel carry on bag with a 4 wheel. I was too tempted by one with a 10 year warranty and a London scene on the hard case. We spent a bit more than planned on meals. However it was likely our last trip to England unless I win another trip.

Respected Contributor

Linda..hope you enjoyed yout lunch. I read on the other thread about you question re pre tsascreening. I have it...got it for free when it was offered for frequent flyers....it can be handy, but if you do not fly a lot ,,it may not be worth the cost. I have found the lines to br just as long at normal times, and depending on the airport, there may not be a dedicated line for baggage check, once you show yout ticket and id

i plan on getting to the airport 3 hours early for my summer flights. 

Claudia..i have4 wheels on all of my luggage and love it. I am glad you are feeling better...Houston in the summer would not be my ideal place.

have a good evening.

Respected Contributor

Good morning....it is a pretty day. I have my knitting group a little later this morning. Pepper has stuffing from one of her toys all over the floor, so I need to pick that up.

m enrolled Syd for all of her summer camps and we will be spending a lot of time at the dance studio .. 

I continue to to feel pretty good....wonder how long that will last???

Claudi?.hope rs checkup goes well.

Linda, sounds like you had a nice lunch yesterday. Hope dh does well today.

more later

Esteemed Contributor

Glad you are feeling pretty well, Barbara and enjoy your knitting. Hope you get the stuffing picked up.  I don't think I ever gave my dogs stuffed animals, but I remember them destroying "squeak" toys to get out the squeaker.  So, I stopped buying them.  

Sounds like Syd will be busy this summer.  DH's older DGD is going to some sort of special science camp for girls this summer.  I think she was the only one from her school to be picked for the camp, and it is free of charge.  It will be a pretty busy summer for them as well.  They have a wedding to attend in June (Martha's Vineyard), and they will be going to Germany for two or three weeks at the end of July in addition to the camp, etc.  

Thanks for the information about pre-checks, Barbara.  I had that once when they just decided I could have it.  Boy, was I confused.  Anyway, I looked up the delays at the two airports where I need to go through security, and the wait times were not bad at all.  Since I am not planning other trips, and I can get to the airports early, I will just "wing it" at least for this trip.  I think that it would probably be a good idea for "frequent fliers".

I had one of those rolling carry-on cases, but I found it just did not work well with my regular suitcase.  If I travel more, I may look into a set so that I can find cases that work well together.

I hope R's appointments go well, Claudia, and you are feeling much better.  DH was pretty bad last night -- he may have a cold, and the cough medicine did not kick in.  So, I did not have a good night either.  So far, he seems better this morning.

The luncheon was interesting -- my buddy who had foot surgery came despite not being able to put weight on her foot, etc.  Another lady picked her up.  And, the widower of one of our members also joined us.  It sounds like he is keeping busy with volunteer work, etc.  Meanwhile, one of the ladies came back with some very frightening stories from her visit to her DGD's high school graduation in CO.  Over the course of her visit (10 days or so), two girls from the high school committed suicide.  And three girls from the graduates class had committed suicide this year.  I talked to DH's DD about it, and she said she is doing her best to keep on top of any issues, etc.  Incredibly sad.

The manager of the respite care/care facility called yesterday and left a message.  He was on vacation at home in MN, but he was very welcoming.  I will try to set up a time to meet with him and get the necessary papers, etc.  

I'm still working on de-cluttering/shredding, and I am very slowly making some progress.  It is difficult not to get discouraged, but so helpful to have less things so I know what I do and don't have.  Not sure that makes sense.

The nurse is coming today -- perhaps early since we are here, and I'm planning to do some exercise in addition to de-cluttering and cleaning.

Hope both of you have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- My SIL's truck had issues with the brakes and AC again yesterday.  Hope this can be fixed again for minimal cost.  But, I'm starting to wonder if he needs to buy a new/used vehicle.  

Respected Contributor

Try Fluff &  Stuff toys, Barbara. They have withstood a newfie, pyr, and shepherd. The beE and two fish are intact. Bo's Fox is minus a leg but otherwise ok. The company has different sizes. Glad you're feeling well.

We left at 8 and didn't get home til after 5. The eye appointment took the longest. Cataracts have not changed but he needs to watch his A1C levels because of the blood vessels in the eyes possibly leaking. Th dressing was changed on his elbow and he goes back the 7th to have staples removed. It's a long incision. He has an endoscopy the 6th and I wonder if we should just stay up there overnight and board the dogs. It probably would be less tiring.

Sorry about your bad night, Linda. Griff woke me at 5:15. I was not happy knowing this would be a long day. R is anxious about being late and drives me crazy say I g we won't make it on time over and over. We end up arriving 30- 40 minutes early.

I'm impressed with the 4 wheeled luggage. It moves at the touch of a finger in any direction.

We're both very dried and decided to put off an anniversary dinner

Respected Contributor

Good morning...it is cooler and rainy today. Sunday and Monday will be nice.

Happy Anniversary, Claudia...a day late???  You had a very long day yesterday..yikes. 

Pepper is never up before 7 so far.

Linda.. Your lunch sounded interesting. There have been 4 succeeds of young people in V 3s city..one was a student of his. I have done extensive work in suicide prevention ..was lon the school districts crisis team. It is a scary, challenging thing to deal with.

hope dh is feeling better this morning...V just cleaned out his file cabinet and did a lot of shredding.

Claudia..I will look for those toys. Thanks.

i have a haircut shortly. More later.

Esteemed Contributor

Hope you like your haircut, Barbara.  Interesting about the suicide prevention efforts.  Must have been difficult for V3 and his students having that happen.

It is still cooler than normal here, but normal is something like the mid 90's.  I'm happy with the mid to upper 80's for now.  We still have not had our first 100-degree day (99, but not 100).

Happy Anniversary, Claudia.  I certainly don't blame you for waiting to celebrate after such a long and tiring day you had yesterday.

The nurse told me that the cough syrup I bought DH would make him sleepy, so I did not give it to him this morning.  Hope he will be okay.  I don't think he has major issues, but it is not good to have coughing and a stuffy nose on top of everything else.  I think the nurse will be calling me today to see how things are going -- last night was much better than the night before.  But, DH seems more and more confused -- his caregiver even remarked on it this morning.  He was very unsteady on his feet this morning, but thank goodness he did not fall.

I will be meeting with the head of the facility next Wednesday to find out what I need to do before he goes there at the end of July.  

I have asked day services if it would be okay for him to attend four days a week (adding Thursdays).  I don't want to make things too difficult on the caregivers, but if it is okay, I'll spend the money since I could use an extra day.  The social worker came yesterday, and she completely understood how difficult it is for me to stay home with him all the time -- not even take a short walk on my own.  She raised the idea of one of those buttons you wear around your neck to alert to falls.  Apparently, there are some that don't require the person to press the button.  Not sure if that is a solution, but as she pointed out, just because I'm here does not mean that he will not fall.  In fact, the second fall (when he hit his head) happened when I was right there in the room.  Something to think about.

I'll be taking him to day services shortly, and then I'll take my walk.  I will be going to the grocery store, picking up his prescription toothpaste, and going to the gym as well.  I also hope to go to the storage room to see if there is something else I want to donate.  The thrift store will be picking up a couple of things tomorrow, so I thought I could add to it.

I guess shredding and de-cluttering is spreading.  I still have so much to do, but.....

My SIL's truck is in the shop again -- same two problems -- brakes and AC.  This has to be at least the third time for this, and I am starting to wonder if the truck will need to be replaced.  Not good.  Looks like Army DGS will be able to go to the community college in the Fall, which is great since his sister will be going there as well.

Hope both of you have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda