Respected Contributor

Re: REFFORMED SHOPaHOLICS. Week of March 27

I'm glad you're feeling better, Barbara. As sick as you've been it's going to take some time though.

Carpet is chosen- a medium gray. The room is a bit larger than I recalled but the measurements are done now and I'll pay the deposit tomorrow. As soon as the measurements were done and the owner left all 3 dogs hustled in and went right to the door making sure no strangers were still around.

The puppies we've had all cried the first night then settled. Of course we had had the other dogs in TT and Griff's cases. GN and Griff when we picked them up and loaded them in the vehicle for the trip home, pointed their little snouts up and proceeded to howl as we left.

I have no idea what the tsv is today. I will have to look. I hope you enjoy yours.

I made reservations the other night to park, stay, and fly. It made sense to stay near the airport the night prior to our trip. We also plan to stay the night we return as our flight is to land at 8:30 PM. 10 years ago we probably would have just driven on home.

Linda I hope things are going well today.

Esteemed Contributor

Glad you are feeling a little better, Barbara.  Do take it easy.  How exciting about Pepper -- I hope that having a dog really works well for Syd, M, you, and V.  DD told me she thinks I need a cat, but I told her I don't need any other responsibilities.  And, I think that I would have a lot of issues with a litter box.  Plenty of mess without that addition.

Hope you like the Bermuda shorts.  I did not order since I find that length is particularly bad on me.  Not that I wear shorts that much (except in the house), but I like a shorter length.  I have some bad varicose veins that stick out at my knees.  Ugly.

It is pretty cool here as well -- I'm looking forward to warmer weather.  But, at least it wasn't so windy today.  I notice the house next door "for sale" sign now says "sale pending".

Hope you like the new carpet, Claudia.  That color sounds nice.  We really need new carpet in the bedroom and the "office" -- someday.  The park and ride hotel sounds like a very good idea.  I almost always stay near the airport on the way back from DC -- flights are usually quite early in the morning.  

It has been a busy/crazy day for me.  I got lost twice trying to go to COSTCO.  The good part is that I made it there and to Trader Joe's (totally unplanned, but...)  But, I mistakenly got in the line to go into the Air Force Base (no where near where I wanted to be).  The nice guard allowed me to make a u-turn out of there. 

When I went to pick up DH, they asked me to stay for a caregiver event.  Long story, but the Optimist club at a middle school had made gifts for the caregivers.  They were 30 minutes later than expected, but they were very sweet.  A reporter from the local newspaper was there, so they may have some photos in the paper.  

Glad we are having leftovers tonight.  

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I decided to play bridge this morning...I did not cough a lot and it was good to get out. I definitely am on the mend. Went tonFrys and got some take out chicken for dinner...cooking is not what I want to do.

Nothing else on the agenda today..

Claudia...the grey carpet sounds nice...I have never ventured into that color. My neighbor one did her home with grey and it was stunning.

Linda..you had quite the adventure yesterday. That was nice that the kids did something special at the care center.

With all of the care that dh requires, you do not need anything else to care for.

i am lucky that I can still wear shorts...good legs run in my family..lol.

i hope you both have a good day.

Respected Contributor

I'm glad you were able get out today, Barbara and that your cough was improved. Shorts are a no no for me.

I went with gray because of the gray in the bathroom floor. I would like to paint the room to but that will have to wait. I want it to be a downstairs bedroom but R thinks it should be a pub room. It's funny- thinking back my mother decorated the living room in our first house with gray carpet, robin's egg blue walls, and red sofa and chair.

I put a deposit on the carpeting before going to Wegman's for groceries.

I agree with Barbara. At this point you don't need a pet much as I like them, Linda.

Did you happen to hear Trader Joe's is closing? There isn't one in this area but when we visited Whit in Maine we went to one.

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't hear anything about Trader Joe's closing, and thank goodness it appears to be an early "April Fools" joke -- yikes!  Not that I go there often, but I am definitely a fan.  They have some things -- like dried fruit without sulphur that I cannot find elsewhere.  Also, they have lots of nice cheese, grains, spices, coffee, etc. that I enjoy.  I bought a basil plant there yesterday -- they have very nice ones that are bigger and less expensive than the ones at Wal-Mart.

Glad you are doing better and could get out today, Barbara.  I want to pick up some fruit at Fry's, but that may need to wait until tomorrow. 

Happy you were able to put down the deposit on the carpet, Claudia. It does sound pretty.

DH had his eye doctor's appointment this morning, and it went okay (sort of).  The technician could not take the pressure in his eyes, and he could not figure out how to read the letters on the chart.  He also had mega problems getting in and out of the exam chair, which he had to do twice.  (The tech examined him, dilated his eyes, and then we had to wait in the hall until they were dilated before going back to another room where the doctor examined him.  The doctor is an older man (not large), and he was really struggling with trying to get DH into the exam chair.  We finally managed, but I think it bothered the doctor a lot.  The doctor said that the cataracts in one eye were worse, but not bad enough to need an operation, and he does not have macular degeneration.  In the end, the doctor said that he didn't need to come back unless there was a problem.  I can't say that I blame him, but.....  He said I should put hot compresses on his eyes twice a day for five minutes to help with his problem -- low level chronic infection of the eyelids.  So, I guess I will add that to my "chore list".  

DH's red plate (it has a "lip" and is supposed to be particularly good for Alzheimer's patients) came, and I put his lunch on it.  I think it did help -- contrast of the food to the plate is supposed to help.  He is not losing weight or anything, but I think that if I did not feed him and watch over him when he has "finger foods" he could not eat much.  

I went to the gym after we got home, and we had a late lunch.  Next will be a walk -- wish me luck.  The nurse should be coming this afternoon.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Glad it was a hoax, Linda. I know how much you enjoy shopping there. At least the eye exam is over and done and DH does not need surgery. It's not easy testing someone who has difficulty understanding along with mobility problems. How I wish an effective treatment would be found for this disease. I'm glad the red plate helps. You are probably right that DH wouldn't eat much without you there to help. I know mother couldn't remember if she had had a meal or not.

Whit was filling out paperwork to enroll Adam at the VA in Oklahoma. He seems to be depressed again. It comes and goes. At least he's taking his medicine. He hasn't called lately and I've found the more I keep after him the more he drags his feet.

Tomorrow R has an appointment at the local VA clinic to review his recent lab work. While I was grocery shopping he got a call about scheduling to see a surgeon for his arm. He had to tell them it was already scheduled for next week.

Respected Contributor

I worked our coffee cafe this morning. It was fun but I sure am tired...lol. I did not cough a lot so that was good. Made a bank run and will be home.

pepper got home safely...m said she did a lot of crying in the car. Now she is trying to figure out where she is...wonder how many accidents she will have today. Syd is going to FaceTime me in a bit. She has never had a leash or collar so that is an adjustment too.

Linda..it is sad that dh had such a struggle at the eye doctor yesterday. Hope the hot compresses help his eyes. I would think that having a bright plate would help him distinguish the food.  Hope your day is going ok.

Claudia, depression cam be such an insidious thing. Hope Adam continues to ge the help he needs. I did not realize was having surgery next week.

nothing else to report from here.

Esteemed Contributor

Hope the VA trip went okay, Claudia.  I am glad Adam is getting help for his depression (and his big sister is helping).  

I'm back from the lawyer -- I had my POA re-done, etc, and now I have decided to have a new will done.  The idea is to make things as easy as possible for DD when the time comes.

It is warmer here today, and not so windy, which is a good thing.  I'm planning to go to the store shortly (get some fruit, etc.)   Nothing too exciting.

Hope your day is going well, Barbara, and both of you have a nice evening.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. DH was up several times last night, so I'm a bit sleepy.

Respected Contributor

R's not having surgery next week. It's a preconsult with the surgeon to see what can be done for his arm and what if anything can be done for his hand. Meanwhile the VA will also be scheduling an endoscopy for the Barrett's esophagus and a colonoscopy.

Meanwhile the doctor wants to gradually stop the vicodin and try a couple different treatments with otc and topical  meds that may better help his pain.

I'm glad you were able to get out this morning without coughing being a problem, Barbara. I'm not surprised at all about Pepper. I've found with puppies the first few days were accident free- just long enough for me to hope they were housebroken. Then the fun began. Given Pepper's training it may be different for her.

I think it was a good idea to have your will done along with the poa, Linda.

I did manage to get my hair cut finally. It really needed it as last time was December.

I am hoping Whit and especially Mike can encourage him.

Respected Contributor

Syd just face timed with Pepper...what a cute puppy. No accidents yet..she has potties every time she goes outside. We shall see.

Linda, glad you got the things straightened out from the bogus financial advisor. There was a piece on people here being taken in by unethical people. 

Claudia...I misunderstood about R..glad you got your hair cut. The breeder reassured m that she is fully housebroken. Will keep you posted.

sleep well.