Honored Contributor

Re: RE Layering for Spring...

I think some of those looks are pretty, but unrealistic.  It's hard enough to wear a light scarf on warmer days, no matter how cute the scarf might be.  Double jackets or jacket and sweatshirt wouldn't work for me where I live except in winter.  

I love to layer, however, and always feel underdressed without a jacket or shirt worn as a jacket.  I just ordered a second one of the lightweight Joan's shirts in khaki to wear as a summery jacket layer.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I layer in the spring.  Right now I have a navy button down shirt with a green light-weight v-neck sweater over it.  I will put a jean jacket over it when I head to the store.  The top one looks fine to me except for the shoes and I would never wear two jackets.  

Honored Contributor

Of course I layer clothes, who doesn't?  But I wouldn't layer two jackets or blazer over a cardigan sweater.  I wouldn't layer two bulky pieces or two outside pieces.  Like I said in an earlier piece;  we don't have to go where fashion tries to lead us.  

Respected Contributor

Those looks are put together by stylists for photo shoots.  Like many runway looks, I don’t think there is any expectation that people will actually wear the look as shown—they’re simply showing off the clothing in a creative way. 

Honored Contributor

Those layers would be okay for early mornings where I live but this time of year it's often 60-70° in the afternoons.  You'd roast with all that on.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

If I wore this much clothing at one time, I would sweat my butt off. To say nothing of feeling really restricted. How do you move your arms freely? How do you drive comfortably?  I don't object to the look, it's just not for me. And I love being on trend. At 63, I no longer suffer for fashion .LOL. Too many cute comfortable clothes out there.

Respected Contributor

I layer most of the time except outside in summer.  I consider layering to be a top or sweater with a cardigan ether long or just below waist, or jacket or vest over it.  Only two layers - just chose only cardigan, vest or jacket.  The pictures are typical stylist creations - don't know why they come up with these ideas.  Surely they know better.

Honored Contributor

I feel double layering doesn't look "real" although, college students may do that for long walks to class or cold classrooms.

Honored Contributor

Layering as well as wearing the "third" piece to look complete has been shown a lot but only somewhat discussed,  A shirt with a jacket completes a picture as does a sweater or shirt and a scarf.  The idea is to keep the focus on the face.

With the recent longer sweaters and shark bite we have camouflaged hips as well as created string vertical line to add the illusion to height. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never been into layering. 

I have a few neutral jackets for spring & summer (khaki, navy, white) and wear them (or carry one) when I go out. 

I don't like the hassle and expense of having a lot of jackets to match with particular outfits. I don't like the weight of extra  layers, so I'm taking off a jacket as soon as I can.

I'd be a big fail as a fashion blogger!