Honored Contributor

Question for my "senior sisters" on pants

I'd like to know your opinions on the best pants for around the house, but nice enough if I need to run to the store, that they look presentable. I've sworn off jeans now, and I don't want something I have to be so careful of that I can't wear them daily. I'm retired now so I just want to look nice. I have D& Co., but some of the material isn't quite what I'm after. I am looking for something that stands up better than cotton I guess. But I don't know what. Help.

Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: Question for my ""senior sisters"" on pants

I'm a fan of capri athletic wear around the house and for errands. I wear a lightweight hoodie if it's cool out, and t-shirt if it's not.

Sandals when it's warm out, tennis shoes when it's not.

Honored Contributor

I am retired as well - i have put on a lot of eight around the mid section thanks to needing prednisone daily to control my asthma. I like the denim and co type pants with the elastic waists for this reason. I just bought some capris in the gauze that are perfect lightweight with elastic waists. Easy and comfortable.
Esteemed Contributor

I do live in jeans. I buy them only at Chico's, where they seem to make jeans that fit me perfectly. At home I wear them with my Skechers but when I go out, I slip on ankle boots in winter and loafers in summer. I do own a few elastic waist pants but I only wear those that don't bunch up at the waist and I never tuck anything in. Jackets are our friends. You can change any outfit into something better by putting a nice jacket on top. I have too many jackets, from casual jeans jackets to well tailored blazers to glitzy toppers. It's not just the pants that make the outfit. I've been retired for five years and my going out uniform is nice pants, shell or turtleneck depending on weather, and a well-fitting jacket.
Super Contributor

I have several favorites for everyday - just around - no place special.

Cold Weather

1. LandsEnd stretch cords - live in them all winter.

2. Women with control - various styles.

3. D&C pull on straight leg jeans and twills

Warm Weather

1. LandsEnd Chinos

2. Lots of linen pants I've acquired over the years from various places - included discontinued lines from QVC.

Trusted Contributor

I absolutely love nice/casual pants with an elastic waist, side slash pockets, made of a poly/rayon/spandex blend. These have a nice hand, look very much like a lightweight wool blend, wear like iron, are supremely comfortable with the elastic waist and a little spandex "give" in the fabric, go through the washer and dryer in a jiffy, and need no ironing if hung up straight out of the dryer. They can go very casual or a little dressier, depending on what type of top and shoes you wear with them. I pay no mind to those who sneer at elastic waist styles. They are comfortable, fit those of us whose waists have expanded a bit with age -- and if we wear tops that skim over the waist, as I do -- who's the wiser? They look very nice.

There are several sellers and brands offering this general type of pant under the Briggs New York, Sag Harbor, Just My Size, JC Penney, and other labels. I live my "retired life" in this type of pant most days.

Honored Contributor

Where I live seniors in jeans are acceptable for just about any occasion outside of a wedding or a funeral.

Super Contributor

I wear Denim & Co side pocket pull on pants or capris. I find them comfortable, easy to wear and wash well. Once in awhile I order some that are not quite right, but they are easy to send back! I wear the longer t-shirts to cover my rear! Alot of my tops are from Kohls or Macys. Every thing is perfect for running to the store or out to eat!

Super Contributor

I love leggings if they are a fairly thick material, only with a tunic length top though, preferably past the tush. Comfy, but stylish again, thank goodness. I'm tall and skinny tho' but I'd wear them even if I were not.I'm still a stretch jeans girl though, I just only wear them in black.
Super Contributor

Besides jackets, which I adore, I love a super light weight trench...I bought several recently in about 5 colors...Joan R and Denis Basso make really cute ones. I only have one black lined warm one for the winter, the others are either unlined, or have a super thin lining...I get the, a size smaller and leave them open...get the shorter length, so they are kind of like jackets, but a bit more comfy.
On 3/11/2014 Vivian said: I do live in jeans. I buy them only at Chico's, where they seem to make jeans that fit me perfectly. At home I wear them with my Skechers but when I go out, I slip on ankle boots in winter and loafers in summer. I do own a few elastic waist pants but I only wear those that don't bunch up at the waist and I never tuck anything in. Jackets are our friends. You can change any outfit into something better by putting a nice jacket on top. I have too many jackets, from casual jeans jackets to well tailored blazers to glitzy toppers. It's not just the pants that make the outfit. I've been retired for five years and my going out uniform is nice pants, shell or turtleneck depending on weather, and a well-fitting jacket.