Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question about wedding gowns

Interesting comments, (except for one). I didn't think about it as bonding with the family like someone mentioned.

The youtube videos I've seen are the ones where families are disagreeing about the gown. That's why I brought up the subject. I realize that in some cases, shopping for a gown goes well, but those probably aren't as interesting. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

My aunt (my Godmother) paid for my wedding dress so it was me, my mom, my aunt and my sister who was my maid of honor.    I was lucky to not have to try on too many dresses as I was  able to find a  perfect one quickly.   We did go out for lunch after, I remember it being a nice time.  My aunt and mom are gone now so it's a happy memory for me.  I have since donated that beautiful dress to military brides.

Regular Contributor

I think SYTTD influenced today's brides to bring an entourage when shopping for a wedding gown.

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw Because some brides are lucky enough to have a family and friends who love them and are excited for them and want to support them.

Some have to go it alone and take a lot of anger and negativity along the way.  Why?  I don't have an answer.  Jealousy?  Probably. 

Trusted Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Why does a woman need to have an entourage with her when buying a wedding gown? I've been seeing videos with woman bringing her mother, mother-in-law to be and many others with her. I can see having one or two at the most  when shopping, but a whole group? Especially when no one agrees on what looks right. This makes no sense to me and only causes stress. The less people around, the better.

Sometimes it's best to just choose something by yourself or having one best friend or one  family member to help. Is there a good reason for bringing the neighborhood with you to buy a wedding gown? It should be the bride's choice and no one else. 

The last sentence says it all. If the bride wants an entourage or orders her dress online at midnight, its her day. Her choice.

Respected Contributor

What I find sad about those wedding dress shows is when the bride is excited about the dress saying this is the dress and her entourage cuts her down. You can see how sad and defeated they look about the rejection. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to bring an entourage when choosing a dress.
Honored Contributor

What exactly constitutes an "entourage"?   Is it a certain number?  If so, what is that number?   

I think some people here have been influenced by what they've seen on reality tv shows.  In real life, the bride-to-be brings along some people she is close to, who give her what will hopefully be helpful feedback.  Who else should she trust?   The shop owners, who perhaps want her to buy the pricier dresses?

I'm sure in the end, most brides do choose what they like  best.   But what if there are several favorites?  Why shouldn't she help herself narrow it down to one, by asking trusted loved ones their opinions?  

Those of you who have had negative family relationships....remember that others value having their family with them at important moments of their lives. Some of us even have/had wonderful mothers-in-laws!   I feel bad that this group so often gets maligned.  

Honored Contributor

No one NEEDS anyone with them---but maybe its because it is a fun outing??!! 1 or 2 extra pairs of eyes is helpful for such a great event---I took a couple people with me to a local wig shop just before I was to start chemo for breast cancer--it was a blast-we all giggled and laughed and I found a lovely wig. That  made such a horrendous thing -----fun. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@teganslaw Because some brides are lucky enough to have a family and friends who love them and are excited for them and want to support them.

Some have to go it alone and take a lot of anger and negativity along the way.  Why?  I don't have an answer.  Jealousy?  Probably. 

@Sooner   @teganslaw 

Huh?   Where did THAT come from .... anger and negativity?  Jealousy?  Seriously?   LOL

If a woman isn't even capable of making a decision about a dress she'll wear once, it's very possible she is still too immature to be getting married.  

The whole idea of needing a committee to tell you what dress to buy hints strongly that she still doesn't know her own mind well enough.  She's not ready.  Better she takes a few years to grow up more before getting married.  

Esteemed Contributor

I bought mine alone. I knew as soon as I saw it, that it was "the one"! I still love it in our wedding pictures and get many compliments on it.