Esteemed Contributor

Question about wedding gowns

Why does a woman need to have an entourage with her when buying a wedding gown? I've been seeing videos with woman bringing her mother, mother-in-law to be and many others with her. I can see having one or two at the most  when shopping, but a whole group? Especially when no one agrees on what looks right. This makes no sense to me and only causes stress. The less people around, the better.

Sometimes it's best to just choose something by yourself or having one best friend or one  family member to help. Is there a good reason for bringing the neighborhood with you to buy a wedding gown? It should be the bride's choice and no one else. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
QVC Customer Care

Re: Question about wedding gowns

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Insecurity, maybe??  When I got married almost 43 years ago, I had my mother go with me to look for a dress.  I always prefer shopping alone and asked her more out of respect than for any advice/approval.  Can't imagine having so many people voicing their opinions on a dress!!

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Why does a woman need to have an entourage with her when buying a wedding gown? I've been seeing videos with woman bringing her mother, mother-in-law to be and many others with her. I can see having one or two at the most  when shopping, but a whole group? Especially when no one agrees on what looks right. This makes no sense to me and only causes stress. The less people around, the better.

Sometimes it's best to just choose something by yourself or having one best friend or one  family member to help. Is there a good reason for bringing the neighborhood with you to buy a wedding gown? It should be the bride's choice and no one else. 

@teganslaw 

You make a very good point .... since when does an adult woman need a cast of thousands to help her make a decision on a dress ..... does anyone honestly think this gal hasn't already thought about dresses and already knows what she wants?  

I don't know if you are referring to that TV show or something else.  No idea what the accompanying people talk about.

The TV show kept adding more people and whatnot, so now some people actually think that's what you're supposed to do  ... or, hey, it's a social occasion?   

Beats me why this happens ....

Honored Contributor

I think the bride-to-be asks others to take part in order to get future family members to bond.  

This is exactly what happpened with my DIL's grandma and me, when we went to one of the fittings.  (Dress was already chosen).  

we learned that neither of us ever had a wedding gown, as we'd married in courthouse weddings.  

I really appreciated being invited to this fitting, and getting a glimpse of "the dress" in advance.  We all went out for a very nice lunch together, afterwards. 

Honored Contributor

I had a horrible "mother" and didn't want her with me when I bought my dress. It was very pretty, I paid for it myself and still looks good in those old photos.

My friends and I all had very different tastes in clothes so I didn't need help deciding. 

Honored Contributor

I think it is just one of those new things like gender reveal parties.  But not every bride takes a posse with her when buys her gown.  My younger daughter got married 7 years ago and her sister and I were the only ones she wanted or needed.  However, there were brides who brought all their attendants with them and it seemed chaotic.  

Honored Contributor

When I got married in 1991, I went shopping for and bought a dress by myself.  Granted, we were getting married at home and I wore a short dress, but never in a million years would it have occurred to me to take a bus full of people with me.

My sister got married 2 years before I did.  She did the preliminary looking for her dress on her own and then she asked me to go back with her when she had narrowed it to 3 dresses.  She didn't even ask my mom and we were very close to my mom.  She just wanted low hoopla, as did I.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I just had my mom, she was my lifelong shopping buddy. We locked horns in my teenage years, but later I appreciated that she always told the truth. Times change and maybe the newer brides are influenced by these bridal shows. I can never understand why some bring the groom to be, where is the element of surprise ? Different strokes. 🤷‍♀️

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

For me, choosing a dress by committee would be a nightmare.  I'd prefer to sneak off and make the selection alone.  I've never liked to shop with another person.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment