Honored Contributor

Re: Question about Donating Clothes

@ILTH wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

The Bahamas and other places that have been destroyed by natural disasters don't want used clothes from our attics and basements.  That's not what they need.  What they are going to clothes clothes?  The can't give them to people who have no homes.  They can't store them in buildings that don't exist.  People mean well but sending bags and boxes and barrels of used clothing to disaster areas only creates yet another problem for people and social service organizations.  They have no where to put that stuff and no way to dispose of it.  The Bahamas needs cash contributions to buy the things that victims need and to aid in building and recovery.  

Yeah. We said the same thing at the same time. 

----

Only you said it much nicer @ILTH 

Honored Contributor

Exactly. It is cash they need, not stuff....

I saw a news segment on things donated and in one drop off place somewhere in the Bahamas   there were thousands of cases of  fresh eggs sent... sitting in the hot sun... there were no homes left.... and all the people had left.... but still they sent all this food to just sit and go bad in the hot sun  TO HELP NO ONE.  So stupid.  So wastefull.... 

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

The Bahamas and other places that have been destroyed by natural disasters don't want used clothes from our attics and basements.  That's not what they need.  What are they  going to do with clothes?  The can't give them to people who have no homes.  They can't store them in buildings that don't exist.  People mean well but sending bags and boxes and barrels of used clothing to disaster areas only creates yet another problem for people and social service organizations.  They have no where to put that stuff and no way to dispose of it.  The Bahamas needs cash contributions to buy the things that victims need and to aid in building and recovery.  

@chrystaltree  Survivors still need good clothes. They are being given totes and backpacks to carry necessary items.

Not everyone donates just old clothing to charities. I have donated many new items of designer clothing and household items to charities. I’m sure others have too. I believe money is best for donations to disaster relief situations, but nice newer to new clothing is needed just as much. It seems too many charities turn their nose up at clothes these days, assuming most is junk, and they’ll have to sort through it. There are so many homeless and needy people in our own country too, and yet so much good clothing, and other goods. go to waste. I have a problem with any charities that won’t take items in good to new condition. Good clothing costs a lot of money and disaster victims need that too.

Trusted Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

Samaritans Purse (Franklin Graham's Foundation/charity) is down there with a relief hospital tent unit. Greta Van Sustran posted a picture on her facebook page. I would contac one of them because I think they are looking for everything. 

@Fressa   Samaritan’s Purse is a wonderful charity. Franklin Graham took it over when Billy Graham died. They are honest and work so hard. I only give to Samaritan’s Purse and the Salvation Army because they are always happy to get money or new items that others can use. They also don’t keep a lot of money for themselves to pay the executives who run the charity. Most charities pay an inordinate amount to those executives. Charitywatch.org

gives the top reputable charities, and they break down how monies are spent.

Honored Contributor

I would donate through a group that I personally respect and that I know does a wonderful job.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Ketra, they need money. Obviously you have never been in their shoes.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45  On my list on places to call Monday morning! Thanks for the information (and reminder of DAV).

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

@bonappetit wrote:

Ketra, they need money. Obviously you have never been in their shoes.

@bonappetit  I said they needed money most of all in my post, and recommended some reputable charities to give to. If you had bothered to read the whole post you would know that. Also, don’t tell me that I Obviously have never been in their shoes. You know nothing of my background or what I’ve been through.  Keep your judgemental, ignorant comments to yourself. 

Super Contributor

Settle down Ketra & enjoy your afternoonSmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@bonappetit wrote:

Settle down Ketra & enjoy your afternoonSmiley Happy

You enjoy your evening.😊