Respected Contributor

Re: ~~ Question, Ladies, Regarding Under Garments ~~

So silly, the bra fitters have seen it all and are only trying to help you. I am a BC survivor with only one breast and a big scar on the right. Well, it doesn't bother me to be fitted, that's for sure.

mm

Good luck twopeas, you will find the right bra!Smile And I hate buying jeans too, bad, bad. LOL

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

Bali "Comfort Revolution" is my favorite bra for comfort. This line makes sizing easy and I can actually sleep in these because they are so comfy. My shoulders are narrow, but the straps do not slip off. There is an underwire style and one that has an underwire. They do not have a lot of shaping in the cups, tho, although they are lined.

My best "fitted bra" is by Wacoal and it is a racerback bra that hooks in the front. It has nothing in the cups... they are net. I have been fitted, but philosophies about that vary quite a bit from store to store. One issue I like to avoid is having the bottom edge prevent me from breathing by being too tight!!!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Another vote for Bali. I find the best selection for me at Kohls. If you are not sure about what brand or size you want, you can literally spend hours trying different ones on and no one will bother you (at least they never have me.) They have great sales too!!

Honored Contributor

I had a bra fitting a year ago and it was a BUST (LOL). Expensive shop, too. The best bras I've bought in years are Balis that I bought here, but they are no longer available.
Super Contributor

No particular brand, but smooth cup w/no lace, embroidery or any embellishment of any time, with light padding/lining - two or three hook closure. Tee shirt bra style.

What is really driving me nuts ... I'm trying to find new bras where the strap adjustment on the front, not on the back.

I usually buy online at Onehanesplace dot com. I don't have any size issues or support issues.

Trusted Contributor

My new favorite bra is the Barely Breezies front closure modesty lined bra. I like the closer-set straps and the fact that it closes in front. I only buy bras that have the modesty factor.

We do not have a store in my small city that does bra fittings. I think you can fit yourself if you pay attention to fit instead of size. Bra sizes are as arbitrary as clothing sizes. Maybe worse. If you try on a bra and you bubble up over the top or under the arms, it doesn't fit, whether it is "your size" or not. Same thing with underwires poking you or emphasizing back fat. If you can search until you find a good fitting pair of jeans, you can use the same kind of process to find a good fitting bra.

Trusted Contributor

Whether you're up for a bra fitting or not, you won't get much useful information by polling a group of anonymous ladies on a bulletin board! Your age, size, style preferences, and lifestyle are not stated, and there are ladies here from late teens to great-grandmothers, 32AA to 50G (and up? who knows?), joggers, rocking chair jockeys, post-mastectomy ladies, lovers of simple style, lovers of lacy romanticism, people who insist on underwires, people who can't stand them........and who knows what else?! The bra that works well for a full-figured, sedentary senior citizen is not likely to be the best choice for a willowy 20 year old who runs ten miles a day! It all depends.

Go for a bra fitting or go to a lingerie store and try things on!

Honored Contributor

On 2/10/2015 sandy53 said:
I only buy bras that have the modesty factor.

Have you guys (ha) ever tried "DIMRS." (as in dimmers for headlights ha ha) These are paper thin and a bit contoured. They are WONDERFUL. Solved the problem for me... can wear now in my net-cut Wacoal bras, etc.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

On 2/10/2015 Kathleen said:

No particular brand, but smooth cup w/no lace, embroidery or any embellishment of any time, with light padding/lining - two or three hook closure. Tee shirt bra style.

What is really driving me nuts ... I'm trying to find new bras where the strap adjustment on the front, not on the back.

I usually buy online at Onehanesplace dot com. I don't have any size issues or support issues.

Thank you for recommending Onehanesplace.com. They have tons of options and are offering buy one, get one free right now. A great website. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Occasional Contributor

I work at a Soma store and I can reassure you that the bra fitting is quick and painless. You will have to get down to your current bra to get a more accurate measurement, but we go out if our way to be respectful and put the customer at ease. We see women of all ages, shapes, and sizes, and no one is going to judge you or make you feel self-conscious. The right bra can make a world of difference in how you look and feel so go get fitted. You won't regret it.