Honored Contributor

Re: Question About a Barn Jacket

I still have two from LL Bean put away, for what I'm not sure.  No hoods.  Perhaps I should dig them out, I'm not fond of the Isaac Mizrahi offering today.  Maybe it looks better in person but the coat looks cheap.  

Super Contributor

In my world, a barn jacket is long enough to cover your backside, and is made out of denim or heavy twill/canvas.

This IM jacket isn't my idea of a barn jacket -  it looks like a normal puffy coat.  Too short, too poofy to be a barn jacket. 

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom 

Love Vermont Country store.  Such an interesting nostalgic catalog and family owned.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you want a hood on a jacket then I would look for a 'parka'. Those are usually designed with a hood where some are removable. 

Classic barn jackets do not have hoods. If they do then that is a modification. The original jacket, known as a 'field jacket', was designed for bird hunting then tailored to become the traditional barn jacket we see today....a bit more sportier than a field coat.

Respected Contributor

These days, "barn jacket" mostly just refers to a classic style, so one could have a barn jacket made of pretty much any type of fabric. I don't think anyone is claiming that these are made to wear around your "barn" (unless, of course, you want to), and I like some of the color combinations.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone for helping me understand what a "barn jacket " is! And @ECBG , @fthunt , and @Effie54 - thanks for telling me about Vermont Country Store. 

DH grew up on a dairy farm. The barn jackets I saw there were heavy canvas, some of which had hoods. I can guarantee there are some hanging on hooks by my SIL's door at this minute! DH tells me he usually wore an insulated hoodie. He says you can't actually do any work in a barn if you can't easily move your arms.

So I guess the fashion definition of a "barn jacket" is not the same as the real thing! I have plenty of jackets. In the fall I wear a lot of faux suede and faux leather. I also have a heavy jean jacket that has served me well!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

A barn jacket is a casual utility work jacket made of a sturdy cotton, canvas or twill.  Ten years ago they were the "in" thing at QVC and the showed one after another.  I've still got a brand-new one that was a little small.  I decided to hold onto it until I lost a few pounds.  I'm still holding.  Ha!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment