Trusted Contributor

Question About Velvet For Those Who Know Fabric

I've been wondering about something, so I thought I'd come here and ask the experts {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

When I was a little girl, I guess I was about 5 or 6 years old in the early 60's, I had a dress that I wore to a wedding and I am also wearing this dress in my kindergarten picture. I probably would have no memory of the dress at all if it were not for the pictures.

The bottom or skirt part of the dress was black velvet. I remember my Mom making a big deal about the velvet. How very special it is, how fancy smanchy. I don't know how I know this, but I know it required dry cleaning, and I kind of recall that velvet was special, like fine expensive silk, and anything that you could put in the washing machine was not 'real' velvet, but something called velveteen, and nowhere nearly as nice as the real thing.

Can somebody please explain if there is or was a difference between real velvet and fake velvet? What about my current velvet clothing toss in the wash all of the time? Is the fabric now made differently? Or maybe my mom just had it wrong and there really was no such thing as real velvet vs. fake?

Just curious. Thanks!