Honored Contributor

Re: QVC's habit of passing off customer returns as new

@Tique wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

Exactly. Whatever clothing items I have returned over the years, they were never on my body for more than 30 seconds, maybe a minute. Off they came and back into the package, and to the post office. I have never worn anything from anywhere, then returned it.

No business on the planet can afford to dump tried on items.

@SaRina  same here. I read about people wearing things for several hours and checking to see if they wrinkle within that time period. I read about people laundering items to see if the color runs. Call me picky but if it doesn't work out for you after all that, I don't want it.

I have received clothing items that reek of someone's cologne. I have received the former recipient's invoice along with their mailing information. I even received a purse that had several one-dollar bills in the front pocket. Obviously no one had checked it when the former recipient returned it.

@Tique  Maybe someone had, and there used to be fives, tens and twenties in there too!  And whoever had checked decided to leave the ones for someone else.   Smiley Happy   LOL

Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne wrote:

@Yesme

I think you are a little naive.  When you go on wait list you are usually waiting for a return.  I have shopped at the Q for years and I have only gotten one item that should not have been sent out and that was a purse that was dirty inside.  You need to shop the first time an item is on the air to guarantee it has never been tried on or used.  It would be very poor business practice to discount everything that has only been tried on or turned on.  

Naive? Hardly. I've been a business owner. Just principled. Apparently, you assume I'm a new customer and you need to school me on the Q's practices. Neither is true. I would appreciate QVC putting more emphasis on the "quality" they profess. Do quality merchants ship out used mascara, obviously "previously enjoyed" cashmere, packaging with another customer's address label still attached, or premium anything in roughed up (interior, not shipping) boxes? I've received all of these from the Q, with not one apology.
Valued Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

I have been watching QVC since pretty much the beginning of it and for many years - most of that time - QVC hosts would tout the fact that the clothing had never been tried on, as a point in its favor.  They'd even elaborate and say it hadn't been thrown down in dressing rooms, didn't have makeup on it from being tried on, etc.  Those days are gone now but a lot of us old-timers with QVC got used to that sales pitch.

you are correct,  when shopping in a store you can see what you are getting.

With shopping this way,  when you have to pay up to 8$ for a garment it's isn't right that you might get a returned item, especially when "new and not tried on" is touted as a way to shop via this medium 

returned stuff should all be sent to the outlet or as is

@jackthebear  I don't think the hosts tout the items as never tried on before.  I'm sure they were told not to do that - I haven't heard that in a very long time (but then, I really don't watch presentations except for LOGO).   Maybe you've heard an item touted that way recently?   I have not and I don't see how hosts could be allowed to say that any more, since it's not true.

I have heard it said during a presentation,  I noticed b/c I thought it rather silly at the time 

Would like to say the hosts are sales people and will say anthing to pull you in to purchase. I remember when Mary Beth always said I have this and it is !!!!!!!!!

Listen to the hosts I have this or I use this every day and my skin feels so soft. I think I can do this job too after listening for so many years. 90's

Respected Contributor

Some items are returned in the same conditioned they were in when they were received.

Some items have been laundered then returned.

Some items are worn multiple times for close to 3 weeks then returned.

All are acceptable returns.

I was told returns are supposedly examined and categorized as New, As is, or sell to a secondary vendor.  Sometimes the sorters make mistakes.

Unless a clothing item is being presented for the first time, I would never chance sending it as a bill to ship to gift for fear it would not be pristine.

When you send a gift from a store, it comes from their mail order department not pulled from the floor.  99 times out of 100 it will be brand new.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl

I was just getting ready to post the exact same thing! LOL can you just imagine?? If it were the case there would be no fitting rooms and you would simply look at the item and decide whether you wanted to purchase it because as soon as you put it on it's taken out of rotation

Having said that I do agree the quality-control needs to be watching out for things with stains and tissues in the pockets and the fact that everything is sent out by all three channels in flimsy plastic bags means wrinkled items regardless. When I order from other retailers it comes in a box

But it's a vicious circle because if they used boxes on a regular basis theyd jack up the shipping!

Honored Contributor

An item that has been returned can be just as pristine and new as one that hasn't, and most of them are.  I've bought hundreds of clothing items from QVC and have gotten many returns.  I've never gotten one that is not acceptable to me.  No stains, odors,  gum or tissue in the pockets.  I think most people who make such claims are exaggerating. 

I'm thankful they do send returns as there are often sold out items I would have been unable to get otherwise.  About two weeks ago, I happened across a Linea top in a sold out color I didn't know existed but was exactly what I wanted. They had one in my size which I grabbed.  It's now happily residing in my closet and I'm thrilled. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

Some items are returned in the same conditioned they were in when they were received.

I was told returns are supposedly examined and categorized as New, As is, or sell to a secondary vendor.  Sometimes the sorters make mistakes.

Unless a clothing item is being presented for the first time, I would never chance sending it as a bill to ship to gift for fear it would not be pristine.

When you send a gift from a store, it comes from their mail order department not pulled from the floor.  99 times out of 100 it will be brand new.

@muttmom

this is not always true. for example, when nordstrom sells you something online it may very well come from another store in another part of the country. if a salesperson in the store tells you they have 3 of something left in stock, they will be coming directly from another store. you wont know if it was sold previously or not. the same is true if you order from a smaller store like chicos.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@muttmom wrote:

@muttmom

this is not always true. for example, when nordstrom sells you something online it may very well come from another store in another part of the country. if a salesperson in the store tells you they have 3 of something left in stock, they will be coming directly from another store. you wont know if it was sold previously or not. the same is true if you order from a smaller store like chicos.

You are correct @sunshine45, Steinmart does this, stores have the capabilities to send out orders when a customer puts in an order. I used to work there several years ago.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Regular Contributor

In the last two weeks, I ordered two Isaac lace dresses.  Both were obvious returns that should not have been put back in inventory.  Dress #1 stunk of someone's perfume and had a pull/snag @ the bustline.  Dress #2 smelled like mildew.  With B & M stores, you can see, feel and sniff the garments and choose whether to buy an item in not so pristine condition.  With mail order, you can't inspect the item but do expect to receive an item in "new" condition.  Maybe the Q should return to the "good old days" when every garment arrived with a yellow QVC hangtag ... that would help sort out funky returns.

Trusted Contributor

I got a shirt once that stunk so bad, as if the person who wore it only bathed once a week and wore it two days straight. And they were a smoker. I couldn't believe the person who repackaged it hadn't noticed. I had a hard time contemplating a QVC shopper could smell so bad! And return it not washed on top of that. I didn't order clothes again for nearly a year,