Honored Contributor

Re: QVC's habit of passing off customer returns as new

I have been watching QVC since pretty much the beginning of it and for many years - most of that time - QVC hosts would tout the fact that the clothing had never been tried on, as a point in its favor.  They'd even elaborate and say it hadn't been thrown down in dressing rooms, didn't have makeup on it from being tried on, etc.  Those days are gone now but a lot of us old-timers with QVC got used to that sales pitch.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I have been watching QVC since pretty much the beginning of it and for many years - most of that time - QVC hosts would tout the fact that the clothing had never been tried on, as a point in its favor.  They'd even elaborate and say it hadn't been thrown down in dressing rooms, didn't have makeup on it from being tried on, etc.  Those days are gone now but a lot of us old-timers with QVC got used to that sales pitch.

you are correct,  when shopping in a store you can see what you are getting.

With shopping this way,  when you have to pay up to 8$ for a garment it's isn't right that you might get a returned item, especially when "new and not tried on" is touted as a way to shop via this medium 

returned stuff should all be sent to the outlet or as is

Honored Contributor

Well...I just returned a SG sweater and asked for equal exchange in a different size. I had the sweater on for less than a minute & decided it was too big. I repackaged carefully and returned. I really don't see why this sweater should be marked down just because I tried it on. As others have posted, this happens in stores all the time. You try something on, but don't purchase, and it goes back to the rack or shelf for someone else to try. It is true that hosts used to say that buying from the Q meant trying on new items never worn, but I don't hear that anymore. 

Honored Contributor

@hopi wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

When you shop in a B&M store what do you think they do with returns?  Do you think they reduece prices on everything and make them now seconds because someone had them at one time?  If items still have tags on them and are in sellable condition they are still sold as new.

The same with the Q.  I think that returned items should be carefully inspected.  Those that are in new like condition should be carefully repackaged to ship out again.  Items that are beat up should be reduced in price.

This statement always amazes because when you are in a store you can see it is a return and then make that choice to purchase and not have to spend $10 to ship and return.

New is new and returns are not. Shoppers should be made aware before they have it shipped to their home.

Like new is not new.

You can have all the like new items along with those of a similar mind.

...and likewise it boggles my mind that there are many who expect items to arrive so that no other hands have touched them except for those who made & packaged them.

I did say that items should be carefully examined and if they are in excellent condition to be shipped back out as new.  I didn't realize that so many had a problem with this.  Of course if they are in bad condition they shouldn't be sold as new.

Honored Contributor

@hopi wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

When you shop in a B&M store what do you think they do with returns?  Do you think they reduece prices on everything and make them now seconds because someone had them at one time?  If items still have tags on them and are in sellable condition they are still sold as new.

The same with the Q.  I think that returned items should be carefully inspected.  Those that are in new like condition should be carefully repackaged to ship out again.  Items that are beat up should be reduced in price.

This statement always amazes because when you are in a store you can see it is a return and then make that choice to purchase and not have to spend $10 to ship and return.

New is new and returns are not. Shoppers should be made aware before they have it shipped to their home.

Like new is not new.

I can guarantee that no one would be able to tell that the clothing I have returned to stores was a return.  

I don't beat them up, remove the tags and try to take it back as though it hadn't been worn.  It amazes me that some people do.

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@hopi wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

Like new is not new.

...and likewise it boggles my mind that there are many who expect items to arrive so that no other hands have touched them except for those who made & packaged them.

I did say that items should be carefully examined and if they are in excellent condition to be shipped back out as new.  I didn't realize that so many had a problem with this.  Of course if they are in bad condition they shouldn't be sold as new.

You must sell items or return alot to say that examination, smelling, testing an item to see if is has no flaws  and  repacking to fool the customer is reasonable.  It is subjective as to still if is it new and cost prohibitive to do a decent job.   Obviously it is not working because so many Q customers realize they have gotten a return and not pleased with the condition of the return.    Like new is not new..... Q sells items at  high prices even on special with high shipping and handling. 

All those like new and return items should go to you and like minded,

Maybe Q should keep a list of those who don't care if they get a return it would stop alot of the compliants.

Contributor

If I select a cashmere sweater to send to my mother for her birthday, I wouldn't expect it to arrive from the Q or anywhere else with someone else's hair strands.  Or a twisted up belt wrapped around a reject In a repackaged bag.  I also wouldn't call a department store, ask them to grab one off the rack, and ship it to her, sight unseen.  Brick and mortar stores are in a significantly different position than mail order or the Q.  Simply put, returns fit the Q's definition of "as is."

Valued Contributor

Sometimes I order 2 sizes if I am not sure and it is something I really want.  I try on the one I think will fit first.  If it does, I send the other one back unopened and not tried on.  Do you consider that a Return to be sold As Is?  It left QVC and came back to them (so returned).  I do agree some items I have received are returns (clearly repackaged) but if they are in good shape what difference does it make?  I wash it and enjoy it.  I buy many As Is items and have only had problems twice.

Respected Contributor

With QVC's 30 day return policy, people order items, wear them, then throw them back in the bag and return.  I don't want these items sold to me as new, nor do I want items that have been laundered.  I don't mind receiving something that has only been tried on and return (which is what I do).  Quality control should be able to differentiate between items that are used and those that were only tried on.

@Pearley  I remember those days when they told us that we'd receive brand new items that had never been tried on.  I miss that.

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

you are correct,  when shopping in a store you can see what you are getting.

With shopping this way,  when you have to pay up to 8$ for a garment it's isn't right that you might get a returned item, especially when "new and not tried on" is touted as a way to shop via this medium 

returned stuff should all be sent to the outlet or as is

@jackthebear  I don't think the hosts tout the items as never tried on before.  I'm sure they were told not to do that - I haven't heard that in a very long time (but then, I really don't watch presentations except for LOGO).   Maybe you've heard an item touted that way recently?   I have not and I don't see how hosts could be allowed to say that any more, since it's not true.