Respected Contributor

Re: QVC caters to plus sizes- why not the same for petites?

I personally feel that all pants should be offered in three inseam lengths to accommodate all their customers.  I'm 5'1" tall and currently weigh 111 pounds.  (Losing weight rapidly due to health reasons.)   I often buy pants from QVC when I can find the petite lengths of 27 1/2 or 28 inch inseams as they usually fit me well. But to buy a regular length of 29 inches or more will cost me at least $18.00 per pair to have hemmed, thus making them too expensive.  (Lined pants are $18.00 per leg.)

I know that the average American woman is taller and heavier than me, but that doesn't mean that the Average American Woman deserves a greater variety of clothing offerings than I do.  Same for the taller woman. I have a granddaughter who is seconds away from 6 feet, with a fabulous figure, and she struggles to find tall pants. Those of us who don't fit the Average would buy more than average if we could. I don't think being average means you deserve a greater variety of options.

Respected Contributor

@Kitlynn wrote:

Tall women are not catered to either. Pants are always short and sleeves in things also. Inseams that are 34" to 38" are never offered. There is a market for these buyers but for some reason designers never think about them.

I agree with you.  Talls are harder to find than petites and plus sizes.  Most stores seem to have  petite and plus size sections, but no talls.  If they, including QVC, can offer petite a few inches shorter than regular and plus sizes a few inches wider, then why not talls a few inches longer than regular?  They will say they have something for everyone, which is not true.  Ms Graver harps on about how she knows that the fit of pants is critical, but rarely has a tall option, but they'll tell us we can just wear the pants as crops or ankle pants. Not good enough.  We'd all like to have pants, no matter the style, fall at the correct length.

Trusted Contributor

I agree.  I am 5 feet tall. I don't buy regular pants even to get hemmed because they don't fit in the rise.

PS--The new statistics are that the average American woman is 5'5", weighs 160 pounds and a 16/18 size clothing. Women are getting bigger and bigger.

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

and most (meaning not all ) of their hosts are short and small. clearly they know those people exist.

on the flip side, the largest model is 14/16.  clearly leaving out the sizes larger.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

QVC is never going to be able to please everyone.  There are women who are short but aren't petite.  There are women who have long legs but aren't tall.  And of course there is the opposite of both. 

I was recently reading a magazine (I think Allure) about a plus-sized woman who was trying to find a dress for an awards show and she couldn't find any designer to dress her.  The article went into how expensive it is to make all the various cuts of clothing and how designers would go broke making every single cut and then hoping someone picks them all up. 

Respected Contributor

Probably because there are so many more plus sized women in the audience than petite women.  Numbers of units sold, and all that . . . 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

I am 5'1" and weigh 108. I would drown in ISAAC's TSV- as much as I like it- I can't buy it.

Plus sizes are so well covered in sizes and models in shows...only every so often with models and Petite clothing. WHY? 

NOT THE SAME WHAT SO EVER, 14+ is a legitimate size, petite can shorten an item but a plus size can not add fabric, and I am a 5 ft plus size. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

OBviously the woman who could not find a PLUS size dress,for a awards show never heard of Tadashi Shojii.  THey make beautiful evening and cocktail dresses for all sizes.  I am a PLUS size and own one of these gowns.  IT is the most beautiful,dress I have ever owned. THey do have a website.

Respected Contributor

I have spent a lot of money in the past week or so returning items from Halston, Belle, and Linea.  All items I purchased were too big and way to long, too boxy and shapeless, to long in the sleeve or too tight in the muscle of the arm, you name it.  Yes, I took my own measurements, studied the size charts, added a couple of inches for ease of movement and comfort.  I am 5'9" tall and size extra large.  Good news.  The department stores where I shop have petite, missy, and plus size departments.  If I relied on QVC for my fashion needs, I would be naked.  For me, shopping online for clothing is a gamble.   Mostly, I lose.  :-(