Honored Contributor

Re: QVC Shipping charges vs. Amazon?

@Ceci wrote:

My feeling is that QVC must compete with companies like Amazon and other online stores by either removing shipping charges or setting up a membership charge which will cover shipping for a year.

I just turned QVC on and saw a pair of hoop earring by Paz for $29.00. Thin, hoop earrings with a shipping charge of $3.00.

I like silver and like the Paz design. But I just went to a art fair in my area with so many silver artisans with lovely designs. I bought a number of pieces. 

But, being a investor and working in the field, I do not see QVC surviving unless they do away with the shipping charges or set up a membership deal where you pay a certain amount per year which covers unlimited shipping.

Would QVC shoppers be interested in something like that? I suppose it would depend on how often you shop but if you paid $100.00 a year and got free shipping, would you feel it was worthwhile? Has anyone figured out how much they pay per year in shipping? Orders and returns?

Somehow, $3.00 shipping on a pair of hoop earings seems rediculous. Those earings weigh almost nothing.

Would be interested in feedback about a membership deal and would the shoppers here find that attractive?

QVC will not survive the way they run their business now... When the boomers die off, the next generation is not watching TV and shopping QVC.  QVC and other TV shopping networks will fade off into the sunset much like K mart, JC Penney, Sears etc... are dieing a long painful death.....  the new wave of shopping is amping up and QVC is not changing with the times . antiquated, slow, prices too high... can not compete.  

Regular Contributor

Re: QVC Shipping charges vs. Amazon?

I don't think QVC has to compete with anyone in respect to shipping charges because QVC's shipping charges are great and nothing to complain about.  I have Amazon Prime and I shop a lot with them so most of what I buy is free shipping.  Sorry, I don't think $3.00 or $5.00 shipping for most things is bad at all, I think it's amazingly good.  Just as there is no free lunch, there is no free shipping for most the online retailers who offer that because the shipping charge is already factored into charge for the item.  I'm not overjoyed with QVC's shipping charges for handbags but I still bought the recent Dooney TSV.  I admit, i found it odd that the shoes I ordered shipped for $5 but the handbag which is probably lighter in weight shipped for $11 and some change.  However, my sister quite recently ordered a small crossbody from Lord and Taylor and the shipping was $10.95.  I felt better about my $11.  I don't why you think QVC is in trouble, or is that just wishful thinking on your part?   No, I would not be interested in any type of all encompassing rate for shipping because shipping charges are not a problem for me and if they were, that would mean that I shouldn't be shopping anyway.  If $3 shipping is a problem for me, then I would know I really can't afford those $25 earrings.