Valued Contributor

QVC Shipping charges vs. Amazon?

My feeling is that QVC must compete with companies like Amazon and other online stores by either removing shipping charges or setting up a membership charge which will cover shipping for a year.

I just turned QVC on and saw a pair of hoop earring by Paz for $29.00. Thin, hoop earrings with a shipping charge of $3.00.

I like silver and like the Paz design. But I just went to a art fair in my area with so many silver artisans with lovely designs. I bought a number of pieces. 

But, being a investor and working in the field, I do not see QVC surviving unless they do away with the shipping charges or set up a membership deal where you pay a certain amount per year which covers unlimited shipping.

Would QVC shoppers be interested in something like that? I suppose it would depend on how often you shop but if you paid $100.00 a year and got free shipping, would you feel it was worthwhile? Has anyone figured out how much they pay per year in shipping? Orders and returns?

Somehow, $3.00 shipping on a pair of hoop earings seems rediculous. Those earings weigh almost nothing.

Would be interested in feedback about a membership deal and would the shoppers here find that attractive?

Trusted Contributor

Re: QVC Shipping charges vs. Amazon?

I pay 99.00 per year for Amazon Prime. It is WORTH the price. You are guaranteed to receive purchase in two days. Have never been disappointed in Amazon. When stated2 days even on a Sunday pkg. is at door. Yes, I would pay the Q for positive delivery. Paying 6.95 to send a pkg back to the Q is ridiculous. Three dollars for the Q ot ship a ring compared to a larger item ,also 3.00 is stupid.Ceci I totally agree with you

Esteemed Contributor

Brought up multiple times before. I don't disagree with you, but QVC hasn't seen any reason to change before this, so don't expect them to do so now. Just don't consider it shipping - are those earrings worth $32 to you? If the cost, with shipping, is still a good price, buy it. If not, don't.

Now is also a good time to remind people that there are many vendors selling the same items that QVC does. If you see something you like on TV, google to see if you can get a better price. Even if the better price is only free shipping (obviously this doesn't apply to proprietary clothing and jewelry lines, but many other items.)
Honored Contributor

Sales people here tell us to buy multiples of items when we find things we love, know we love. What a DEAL it could be if after a certain dollar value they'd offer us free shipping/handling like so many other competitive sites do.  I don't think this is unreasonable for us to expect.  Sales here would more than likely go up if we could bundle to let's say $80.00 or $100.00.

I think many of us would hit the $80 to $100 easily considering how prices have increased especially for fashions and jewelry, home goods too.

Honored Contributor

I'll add another thought that amazon does - I'm not a prime member however I still take advantage of free shipping if I do not care to wait 2-3 more days for my goods to arrive. I'm never in a hurry to receive my goods, don't need anything to get to me in a one (or 2) day rush so yes free s/h is way more important to me than to be charged for it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I pay the $99 for Amazon because they have a great selection of what I want and I feel it's well worth it. I would not pay for QVC to have the same thing. QVC just doesn't have the selection and I feel they have to much inconsistency in their products. I haven't bought anything from them in over three years. If I should by chance see something that I might be interested I will look elsewhere first for better prices and free shipping or simply decide I don't really need it in the first place. QVC is not my vendor of choice. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think $3.00 to ship something is bad at all.  Yes those earrings weigh next to nothing but you are paying for the time of the warehouse employees to pick the merchandise, the packaging, the time to package it and get it shipped.   I was very happy when QVC lowered most of their shipping prices.  That's not to say that some of them aren't still out of line. 

I don't shop Amazon enough to justify the $99.00 a year up front shipping charge.  I don't shop QVC enough to justify a lump sum shipping charge either.

The one thing I do think QVC needs to do is group items together and offer a shipping discount for multiple orders.   

I shop around and whoever has the cheapest price is who gets my dollars.  Sometimes it's QVC and sometimes it's not.  A lot of places offer free s/h only after you've reached a certain dollar amount and many times, I'm not ordering enough to reach that amount and I'm not going to spend $25.00 to save $5.95 on s/h.     

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

I'll add another thought that amazon does - I'm not a prime member however I still take advantage of free shipping if I do not care to wait 2-3 more days for my goods to arrive. I'm never in a hurry to receive my goods, don't need anything to get to me in a one (or 2) day rush so yes free s/h is way more important to me than to be charged for it.

@PINKdogWOOD, the free s/h on Amazon is on purchases over $35.00 and only certain categories.  I just found out that not all purchases over $35.00 qualify for the free s/h.

I just bought an indoor/outdoor rug and paid $15.00 s/h and it was over $35.00 but didn't fall in that free category.  I paid it because the rug is something I need in a size I need and couldn't be found elsewhere for that price.    

Esteemed Contributor

As I are recall before I was an Amazon prime member if I bought X number of dollars the shipping was free. The ship timing was not always immediate but it worked for me.  

As a Prime member I am in Heaven.  I shop at Amazon all the time. I do check prices to make sure I am not paying for shipping by being overcharged in the first place.  

QVC is associated with Zulily.  Check them out.  It is a shopping cart approach... one shipping charge and then all else is free.  On the weekend it is the entire total weekend.  During the week it goes day by day. ln any case I have been very pleased with what I have gotten.  Prices are low, and the return policy.. at first they said NO but now they bend over backward to keep you happy.  Had an issue with something THAT NEVER SHOWED UP and they gave me a credit and then another credit.  

SO QVC KNOWS HOW TO DO IT. THEY JUST DON'T WANT TO.

I do have a feeling they are afraid of returns... I don't return so I am a SAFE CUSTOMER TO CREATE A DEAL FOR.  But some people will return just about anything and everything and that would definately hurt them financially over time.  Perhaps they could create a satisfied customer deal.  For me... who never really is unhappy with anything I would be on top of the scale... and those who send things back left and right... they would have some sort of monitored program.  

Respected Contributor

I would never pay a membership fee to shop at  QVC. With Amazon Prime, I also get to watch movies and stream music. Plus same day shipping on some items.

QVC is no longer the first place I go to for merchandise at competitive prices.