Honored Contributor

QUESTION? HOW MANY QVC FASHIONISTAS ACTUALLY SHOP IN BOUTIQUES

I'm just curious......QVC is always comparing their prices to Boutiques.....I'm wondering how many of you fashionistas actually DO shop in Boutiques????? 

And I'm defining Boutique as....

bou·tique

1. a small store selling fashionable clothes or accessories.
  2. a business that serves a sophisticated or specialized clientele:
    "a small investment boutique" ·

I feel QVC is off the mark comparing their clothing prices to Boutiques which are more expensive, rather than a more accurate comparison which would be Department Stores or Discount Stores or Online Clothing Retailers. Comparing themselves to Boutiques is making QVC clothing prices less and less competitive......While yes QVC is convenient, other online retailers offer the same convenience....sometimes with better prices and shipping deals....JMHO...
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: QUESTION? HOW MANY QVC FASHIONISTAS ACTUALLY SHOP IN BOUTIQUES

The only time I shop in boutiques is if I am on vacation and happen upon one that looks interesting. Otherwise it's online or B&M department stores. I agree with what you said about the false comparison QVC and other TS shopping channels make.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

In my mind, the pupose of shopping in a boutique is to find items that are not mass-marketed & mass produced.   For example, in a department store, you can find dozens of the same blouse in every size, at every store.  All over the country. 

A boutique only buys small quantities so you don't see yourself coming & going.

Price is not necessarily higher in a boutique. 

I do shop at boutiques for a special occasion, not every day items.  And boutiques usually have great accessories you don't find everywhere.

And QVC comparing themselves to a boutique is a joke!

Maybe someone has a different opinion.

@Spurt wrote:

I'm just curious......QVC is always comparing their prices to Boutiques.....I'm wondering how many of you fashionistas actually DO shop in Boutiques????? 

And I'm defining Boutique as....

bou·tique

1. a small store selling fashionable clothes or accessories.
  2. a business that serves a sophisticated or specialized clientele:
    "a small investment boutique" ·

I feel QVC is off the mark comparing their clothing prices to Boutiques which are more expensive, rather than a more accurate comparison which would be Department Stores or Discount Stores or Online Clothing Retailers. Comparing themselves to Boutiques is making QVC clothing prices less and less competitive......While yes QVC is convenient, other online retailers offer the same convenience....sometimes with better prices and shipping deals....JMHO...

Honored Contributor

@Spurt

good points! Especially when you consider that boutique is often synonymous with unique and special and the Q rarely offers either of those! They're trying to please too many different people at once....

As for the original question I'd have to say 'no'. Department stores are less limiting in their selections while a boutique is usually specific to a certain style or demographic of shopper, i.e., Chico's, White House/Black Market, etc...

I do like Banana Republic and Ann Taylor though......(sales!)

Honored Contributor

Using your #1 definition ... I do.  I no longer have the patience to shop in department stores.

Lots of small locally owned shops in my general area - tucked in on the side streets.   I have one just down the street from my apt.

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Spurt

good points! Especially when you consider that boutique is often synonymous with unique and special and the Q rarely offers either of those! They're trying to please too many different people at once....

As for the original question I'd have to say 'no'. Department stores are less limiting in their selections while a boutique is usually specific to a certain style or demographic of shopper, i.e., Chico's, White House/Black Market, etc...

I do like Banana Republic and Ann Taylor though......(sales!)

I guess I wouldn't consider Chico's, White House/Black Market, Ann Taylor, etc. a boutique because they are pretty much everywhere.  Maybe what I'm thinking of as a boutique is really more of a specialty store? 

There are some stores in the downtown area of a neighboring city and they offer clothing items, handbags, and other accessories that are pretty unique and not items you can find in any other stores in my area nor are the lines sold in dept. stores.  Then they also sell Pandora and other well known lines of jewelry, handbags, etc.  I guess that is what I think of when I think of a boutique.  So no, I don't shop there often but I do shop there occassionally.

I have always thought most of QVC clothing is along the lines of JcPenney, Kohls, Macy's.  Definitely not boutique.    

Respected Contributor

I am an equal opportunity shopper. As with most women who like fashion and love to shop, I go everywhere from Target to Nordstrom's and everything in between.

I like boutiques for the uniqueness of the clothing and I like some things at QVC just as much.  I don't spend a lot of time analyzing my shopping habits!   Woman LOL

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

I do, and have for many years.  And "high end" boutiques at that!

Honored Contributor

Never

Honored Contributor

@Spurt

Girl I'm 5'10 and most boutiques don't have anything that fit these arms and legs of mine.  Not a boutiquie person.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise