Esteemed Contributor

Re: QUESTION? HOW MANY QVC FASHIONISTAS ACTUALLY SHOP IN BOUTIQUES

That boutique aspirational sales pitch gets old and stale after a while. I never go into boutiques or small clothing retailers, even in a mall. I never step foot in those stores. The last time I did was with my sister and that was earlier this summer when she and my mom were visiting. We went into some local stores near a coffee shop just to browse but we bought nothing.

It's rather ironic that big e-tailers like QVC still use that boutique sales pitch as they are talking to baby boomers because younger generations aren't going to be going into boutiques either. They are buying off of Amazon, Etsy, and Ebay. Millennials are not attracted to a shopping network either.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TY wrote:

That boutique aspirational sales pitch gets old and stale after a while. I never go into boutiques or small clothing retailers, even in a mall. I never step foot in those stores. The last time I did was with my sister and that was earlier this summer when she and my mom were visiting. We went into some local stores near a coffee shop just to browse but we bought nothing.

It's rather ironic that big e-tailers like QVC still use that boutique sales pitch as they are talking to baby boomers because younger generations aren't going to be going into boutiques either. They are buying off of Amazon, Etsy, and Ebay. Millennials are not attracted to a shopping network either.

NAT:  Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit, because I see more millenials in the boutiques than any other age group and more middle-agers than boomers.  I often feel that there are very few people my age in the boutiques, that my age group has moved onto St John and Chanel, while I am still in the mid price boutiques with the middle-aged svelte girls and millenials.

I think boutiques, for young people, are a step up from kiosks, another place they shop.

Respected Contributor

I haven't even gone inside a boutique for decades.

Respected Contributor

I don't usually hear comparisons to boutique pricing for simple items; in my observation, the comparison is made when they are offering something a bit more unique, or something that might be found in a resort or vacation spot shop. That is, for a plain tee, no. But for something that's a little different, maybe. For example, I was watching a tape of a D&Co show from this morning while I got ready, and they had a Studio collection faux suede and sweater drape front cardigan (A280683). That has a more "boutique-y" look to me, with the styling and grommet detail. (Note -- I'm not saying a high-end boutique would necessarily carry faux suede/leather, etc.; only that one might find a similar look.)

So most Q stuff? Not comparable to boutiques. But there are some interesting and unique things in many of the lines, and I could imagine finding similar looking items in boutique-type stores (with higher price tags).

Esteemed Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

I think boutiques do not sell the high-end clothing that some department stores sell, but a lot of middle price clothing that is not seen throughout  the department stores or stores such as Chico, Coldwater Creek, Talbot, etc.  
I have one near me where I buy clothing and jewelry, not necessarily very expensive, not cheap.  Just things that I find that I have not seen elsewhere, and I don't see myself coming and going.  I buy Eileen Fisher, which is above mid price but not couture, and I buy Chico which I think is mid price. 
I buy Lafayette 148 and Louis Dell Olio but if I want something for a special event and I don't want to risk someone else having the same item, I go to the boutique, and they are not necessarily high priced, just different.  That's my experience.  I am sure other people have theirs.

I've been in some really costly boutiques.  They just don't carry realistic sizes.

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not know if a QVC fashionista is someone who buys a lot of QVC fashions or someone who posts a lot of fashion pictures.

I shop a lot.  At one time I bought  a fair amount from QVC.  Now I seldom do.  I love clothes.  As I'm a senior citizen, I do not buy trendy things.  I stick with classics.

As for shopping in boutiques, there are still a few small shops around here that carry clothing and accessories.  Most have gone out of business for various reasons.  I prefer better department store as they have a good selection and run frequent sales.

When I was growing up my mother shopped almost exclusively at 2 or 3 small, locally owned shops.  They would frequently call telling her they had some items they thought she'd like.

Honored Contributor

I do. I'm an equal opportunity shopper.