Honored Contributor

Re: Purging clothing - donate or throw out?

@On It wrote:

The emergency room at your local hospital may need your donations. My son was involved in a car crash, and they cut his clothing off. After being treated in the ER the nurse had a difficult time locating pants for him to wear home. We took some clothing there the next week to help out. They were very appreciative.

What a great idea. My husband had a heart attack and all his clothing was cut off of him. He wasn't leaving the same day so I brought clothing. But anyone who is released the same day is limited in what they might be able to wear.

I used to donate my son's clothing that he outgrew and was still in good condition to his school. The nurse appreciated it. Sometimes kids have troubles with bodily fluids. So she was thrilled to get extra clothes.

Honored Contributor

We donate most clothes to Goodwill...sometimes the Salvation Army. Any worn out clothes we toss except for a few to wear for working outdoors in our yards/gardens. 

We do toss/throw out all undergarments worn out and/or don't fit anymore.

Honored Contributor

I donate all clothing that is in good condition.  If it has stains or rips I use them as rags or toss.  

Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

It's been 8-10 years since I woreked in a business office, wearing classics.

Do I simply throw thgm out or donate?

@denisemb 

I kept one of my favorite blazers to wear with jeans 👖!

There was another I wished in hindsight that I had held on to, but sure it went to a good home.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

donate of course

you can use freecycle or facebook to find people who will take your stuff in the blink of an eye

Esteemed Contributor

Donate!  Within a week after I retired, I donated all my dressy clothing, business suits, and high heels to Goodwill and our Rescue Mission.  The Rescue Mission and other homeless shelters give clothing to people applying for jobs.  They needed it more than I did!

We used to be able to deduct donations from our income taxes, but the laws have changed.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

I am purging some of my stuff, too, not just clothes.  Our church is having a rummage sale in Aug and I am happily getting rid of stuff.  I will not donate anything that is junk, broken, raggety, but nice stuff that I just don't need any more.

It makes me feel good to think that just because stuff I don't need/want anymore that maybe someone can use it.

Trusted Contributor

@denisemb  Always donate. Their are many women in shelters or homeless that do not have clothing to go to a job interview. There organizations that help women coming out of college that need clothes for an interview.  You can even check with organizations in your community such as the urban league or churches. In my town there is scattered throughout the town trash dumpsters that have a big sign" somebody cares". People can place thir unwanted clothing and personal items in there and anyone can come get the items. Please, I urge you not to send your clothing to the garbage dump'landfill. Many desperate people out there would be deilghted and blessed to receive them.  I recently donated almost all of my closet. Unfortunately due to medical conditions over the last several years I have gained a very large amount of weight. 

Respected Contributor

I donate most clothes I'm no longer wearing.

I also donate most clothes that I never wore!

Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

It's been 8-10 years since I woreked in a business office, wearing classics.

Do I simply throw thgm out or donate?

I never throw clothes out unless they are worn out.  I donate clothes just because I am not wearing them, not because something is wrong with them.  For instance I have many one world.  If I puchase a new one I usually donate one I have not worn for a whileSmiley Happy