Honored Contributor

Re: Purging clothing - donate or throw out?

Check w/your tax person. The donation for taxes have changed. I'd still donate.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Respected Contributor

The emergency room at your local hospital may need your donations. My son was involved in a car crash, and they cut his clothing off. After being treated in the ER the nurse had a difficult time locating pants for him to wear home. We took some clothing there the next week to help out. They were very appreciative.

Respected Contributor

There are companies that take clothing, and either donate or recycle it. The drop boxes are emptied on a regular basis, and the municipality receives money, which goes toward the school system. They take clothing in any condition.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

If I am donating to a Thrift store or the less fortunate, I think about the care the garment needs. 

Many people do not have access to special cleaning needs.  They are lucky to get them washed.  Most do not have a place to "hang to dry" and it's put them in the dryer...all of them at one time!

Honored Contributor

never throw out.......

donate, consign, or sell.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

There's a tent at the greenmarket - they take clothing, towels, sheets - all sorts of fabrics - in any condition - and shoes and handbags.

They re-use what's re-usable and recycle the rest - easy - it's just around the corner.

Honored Contributor

Donate.  

As far as blankets and sweaters that can't be worn by people, some animal rescue/humane societies need them for the lost and found pets.

As long as they aren't washed and dried with chemicals and strong scents.  Animals have respiratory problems and allergies, too.  Some strong scents can be toxic.  

Just thought I'd throw that into the mix, for safety sake.

Most thrift shops do recycle clothing.

Also, I save holey socks and use as rags. 

Clean, white and dark colored cotton socks are used as wipe-up towels. The terry cloth side is especially great for cleaning counters, etc.

Keep in mind that the socks I save and use are extremely clean.  They look almost brand new except for the holes, lol.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Frequent Contributor

yes Nananana59! "take the extra step" to donate...it makes me feel sad and frustrated when I see items 'at the curb' waiting for gabage pickup of things especially baby items....I relied on thrift shops and second hand gently used items for my baby (for things that we could not afford to buy new) years ago and I always remember the faceless donators in my prayers today. So I will take this opportunity to say Thank you to the people who took the extra step and dropped things off at the church or thrift shop etc...and did not just put those items in the gabage. It was over 20 years ago but besides some beautiful baby clothes and toys, there were numerous things that I would not have been able to purchase like baby swings etc...so yes, take the extra step. It will be appreciated by someone who will enjoy your effort.

Trusted Contributor

Donate!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@granddi wrote:

I donated my business attire to a women's law organization. They keep a closet for new grads. Some colleges have closets for students to have access to interview clothing. My Talbots has a gently used clothing collection time.

Problem with these options is that they are hard to locate.

@granddi 

There is a certain month Talbots takes donations.  It's their "Dress for Success".  They haven't since the virus.

Maybe next spring.