Honored Contributor

I wore those in the 1960s.

The wider, the longer the better

Now I'd trip & break a hip

Esteemed Contributor
The woman behind Kate in the picture looks like she's thinking "what the heck is she wearing"? Being short these puddle pants might just be the ticket for me -- no need to hem pants! But then again, I would be constantly washing those dragging hems. I'll pass.
Esteemed Contributor

Celine Dion did it years ago and people laughed....today is so on trend.....

Delicious Ambiguity: February 2011

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I think the fit would have to be meticulous and they definitely call for high heel.  Time will tell if the look takes off.

Trusted Contributor

From someone who is 5'11" tall with a 34 inch inseam, I love them. All my life pants were always too short on me. My mom would have a seamstress sew an extra 4 inches of fabric on my pants in the 70s before the flare leg jean appeared.  I wear the beach pants in summer and most of mine have a 38 inch inseam and they are perfect for me. Yes, they are very long but they work for me!  You have to be a very tall person to carry them off.  

Esteemed Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

From someone who is 5'11" tall with a 34 inch inseam, I love them. All my life pants were always too short on me. My mom would have a seamstress sew an extra 4 inches of fabric on my pants in the 70s before the flare leg jean appeared.  I wear the beach pants in summer and most of mine have a 38 inch inseam and they are perfect for me. Yes, they are very long but they work for me!  You have to be a very tall person to carry them off.  

@bmorechick they either forget taller ladies like yourself or shorter gals like (me).  A 30 inch inseam is supposed to be average.  No can do.  We're not all built the same.  However, you are much more likely to find your inseam in designer duds since they appeal to taller women.  I don't know if you should be happy or sad about that last part!  LOL.Woman Wink

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

Re: Puddle pants?

[ Edited ]

@Trailrun23    I suspect that the cropped pants will not vanish completely.

Personally, I have neither liked nor worn them.  I prefer a longer trouser length, though this is a bit extreme.  If the edge or cuff drags along the sidewalk as you walk the lower edges get dirty and fray quickly.

If this becomes the style I may purchase a couple of good quality pairs in a decent material and pay to have a tailor alter the length.

As other have mentioned it's also an easy way to trip and sustain a bad sprain or actual bone breakage  and that can happen to a wearer of this style, no matter his or her age.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

Since I don't wash my pants every time I wear them, a dragging filthy hem is a big NO.  I have one old pair of jeans where one leg drags just a little and it drives me crazy.  

Super Contributor

@bmorechick  I know exactly what you mean about finding pants long enough. I'm 5'7" and wear a 32" inseam. I posted on here before about wearing "high waters" because I could never find pants long enough. 

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

I wore those in the 1960s.

The wider, the longer the better

Now I'd trip & break a hip

@software 

Me too and they were bell bottoms and hip huggers.  We were so cool!