Esteemed Contributor

Re: Psychology of wearing black most of or all of the time.

As I get older, I am attracted to the sophistication of neutrals.  I don't want to look "clownish" like some mature women become. JMO

Esteemed Contributor

"Clownish" ????

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

As I get older, I am attracted to the sophistication of neutrals.  I don't want to look "clownish" like some mature women become. JMO

How does a mature woman look clownish? Bright colors?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Every Winter I have a black wool coat. It is a tradition for me. This year I may re-think it because black is so draining to my complexion as I am mid 60's. 

I do wear black pants and skirts but a black dress makes me look like I need a cheeseburger..

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Every Winter I have a black wool coat. It is a tradition for me. This year I may re-think it because black is so draining to my complexion as I am mid 60's. 

I do wear black pants and skirts but a black dress makes me look like I need a cheeseburger..

@Trinity11

Add a colorful scarf at the neckline!

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11

Add a colorful scarf at the neckline!

Yes, I have a collection of them but black just kind of depresses me as a color. I get a lot of compliments when I wear cream, white and all pastels.

Honored Contributor

@Tantallum wrote:

ok one more.  Whenever someone asks me why I am always wearing black, I reply "to bring out the color of my soul"

they always look horrified.  It's like, ask a stupid question get a stupid answer.  what did you want to hear???

LOL people hate it when you mess with their heads by sarcastically pointing out their stereotyping. @Tantallum

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I will never give up my ankle length black wool trench coat. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I wear color in other ways.  Black is an anchor color.  When I pack for a trip, I a either a study in beige or black.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NycVixen wrote:

I'm young and thin and I wear black a lot. I've been told it's my color. I am super light skin and have almost jet black hair. Black makes my face and features stand out. 

This is one of the weirdest posts about 'psychology' I have ever seen. Just because that's why you wear black it doesn't mean that's why other people do it. 

I took plenty of psychology classes and they never covered this. 

So true! In my psych classes, we discussed things like.....oh I don't know....mental illnesses and disorders! Never covered the clothing color choices people make. Weird post for sure. But that is the MO for the OP! She loves to stir the pot.

~~~ So many handbags....so few hands ~~~