Honored Contributor

Re: Psychology of wearing black most of or all of the time.

Some people are asked to wear black for their job in retail or hair salons.  It actually looks good because it is a clean look.  These people can also wear a white top but the bottoms have to be black.  These people are not hiding anything, it is mandatory where they work.   Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

that was interesting @Tinkrbl44 thanks!

it was pretty spot on for me. although i LOVE my black and wear it quite often, some of  the colors i do tend to wear with it are yellows and purples. i am a leo.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

black1.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I think some women wear black as they are trying to hide weight.

I do not think that's the case with all women--by any stretch...  I love color, but I also love to wear black.  I wear a lot of black pants to work and pair them with a colored top or blazer.  Black is easy...everything goes with black.

I think many women wear black as they feel it makes them look chic!  It actually can.  There are many reasons women wear black and yes, weight is a part of it for some--not all.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

My "black" are my dark blue skinny jeans I love wearing! They go with everything and fit the retired lifestyle I'm now living. Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I like black bottoms with more colorful tops. Black has often been mentioned to hide weight.

Honored Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

When shops or boutiques or restaurants want to exude an air of exclusivity and high end, they tend to have their sales assistants and servers wear all black. It lends an air of sophistication.  Many musicians and artists will perform or host an exhibit in black. It's timeless and chic.

Maybe some people wear it as an expression of how they feel though. I can't help but think of the old Smiths song that goes "I wear black on the inside cause black is how I feel on the inside" and bands like Depeche Mode and the Cure and some goth bands dress dark to evoke a certain ennui and angst. 

I wore mostly black as a teen to show solidarity with this culture and I grew up happy and well adjusted. 

Those are all the reasons I don't wear black.    Black has become a symbol.  I wear clothes because they are pretty, I like it.   I gravitate towards colors and patterns.

So many employees are required to wear all black on the job, sales people, hair salons, restaurants.    

I don't even buy into the concept of the "little black dress".   I can look very sophisticated in colors.    Wonder what all that says about me?

I actually think the next trend is white.   I know it's summer, but I see a lot of white dresses around.

As far as  psychology goes, I just don't buy it.

If I ever am convicted of being a serial killer, you all can shout IT WAS ALL THOSE COLORS THAT DID IT.

Trusted Contributor

Black is my favorite color. Always has been. My mother said that was the first crayon I would pull out every morning to start coloring with when I was little. I do wear a lot of black.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

There is something about the color black right up at my face that makes me look like I need to be flat on my back with a rosary in my hand, lol.

I can wear a black cardigan as long as there is something lighter under it to break it up.  I can wear black mixed with another color.

Me too!

Honored Contributor

I just remembered something from 2003 ...

I live in NYC ....  A friend invited me down to FL to spend a long weekend at his new condo.  Never having been to FL before, I asked him what clothes should I bring.   He said casual clothing ... but nothing black!

A bit too much to ask ...  I didn't pack anything black, but I arrived at the WPB airport wearing a black pantsuit!  Woman LOL