Honored Contributor

Psychology of wearing black most of or all of the time.

I sort of remember this from psych classes many years go.It usually signifies a person who is attempting to hide something. It may be weight - that is usually why I wear black! Or it may be fears & insecurities. Or it may be just trying to hide themself - kinda a stay under the radar type of thing. Hoping to not get noticed.

Of course - those like me who love to wear color often need a neutral to go with it and black is the ultimate best neutral.When we snowbird north for the summer I always bring a black dressy purse and black dressy shoes then 2 or 3 outfits to wear that are either solid black or a print containing black.This year I brought 2 skirts that are pink & black prints(with other colors as well) and a pink top & a black top and one solid black dress.

Respected Contributor

Re: Psychology of wearing black most of or all of the time.

I am going to show a lot of restraint.

I think you're completely wrong in your assessment of why people wear black.  I have nothing to hide by wearing black.  I think it's a flattering color for me.  I wear a lot of white and denim on the bottom and sometimes a printed pant - black always matches.  It plays off my accessories well too. 

Just another way for you to get in a dig...

Esteemed Contributor

How about for a performing musician, who traditionally wears black?

My orchestra had two ways to dress: black for certain performances, white on other occasions.

Black can be very elegant, and I think that is the statement most of the time for musicians.

When I play solo harp, the color of my gown or how I dress depends on the season as well as the occasion.

As an aside, I was glad to see Isaac out of his usual black. I hope he gets more comfortable out of black.

But I do not think black is necessarily a shy and retiring kind of color. Of course, it also designates mourning.

Honored Contributor

I don't wear black. Don't own any black clothes. Black clothing just makes me think of funerals since they always used to wear black.

I always wear navy.

Honored Contributor

@151949,You're right.  I remember that too, however, today society has added the "drama" aspect of black.  I certainly have seen what you speak of. 

Carole Jackson of Color Me Beautiful, who made color coding popular, said in her book that children with "winter" coloring will seek out black.  I certainly did along with navy.   

I, like you often chose black as my neutral because I have always loved sharp contrasts since I was a child.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to work with a beautiful woman who wore mostly black. She was the most elegant woman I've ever known, and she looked terrific in her clothes. I guess that color just suited her. 

I rarely wear black. It's not flattering on me, and I like so many other colors. (Navy is my black.) 

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

I am going to show a lot of restraint.

I think you're completely wrong in your assessment of why people wear black.  I have nothing to hide by wearing black.  I think it's a flattering color for me.  I wear a lot of white and denim on the bottom and sometimes a printed pant - black always matches.  It plays off my accessories well too. 

Just another way for you to get in a dig...

I'm close to the OP's age and my Psych classes were 40-plus years ago so I'm sure the theories on wearing black have changed.  Growing up I don't remember women wearing so much black, other than funerals, complete with a veiled hat, and black cocktail dresses.  Not defending, just offering context 😜 @Bri36

Esteemed Contributor

I love black  <3   I do not like colors! 

Funny but when my DH died 27 yrs ago,I didn't like wearing black.. and wore many colors for many years after that.....BUT  now I love it.I think i look better in all black!  Slim and neat!

I may be insecure at 80  or a little shy maybe is more like it.....but black is my color and I think I look great in it !!!

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Black is always chic.  Always looks put together.  Sets off jewelry.  No comment on psych class from so many decades ago.

Honored Contributor

I carry most of my weight around my middle.  I'm most comfortable in black tops, because they're slimming, but I'll never, ever wear black head to toe. I like to pair my black tops with light neutral bottoms, even some of the bright colors and prints that are popular right now.

~ house cat ~