Honored Contributor

Re: Psychology of wearing black most of or all of the time.

That psychology class must have been around the turn of the century....lol   Black was my signture color once, I still do wear a lot of black in the winter because.....I like black.  

Honored Contributor

@peachesncream wrote:

I used to work with a beautiful woman who wore mostly black. She was the most elegant woman I've ever known, and she looked terrific in her clothes. I guess that color just suited her. 

I rarely wear black. It's not flattering on me, and I like so many other colors. (Navy is my black.) 

Are you sure she wasn't hiding some deep, dark, nefarious secret?  Like maybe she was a serial killer?

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Sometimes I just gotta wear black. It's so coool.Woman Very Happy

download.jpg

You know you think it hides your hips !!

Honored Contributor

You can't "hide" your weight or height.  Sorry, but people either notice that or they don't.  Don't worry about it.

Valued Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

No offense to you or anyone else who puts heavy credence in psych classes from years ago, but, What???

Perhaps Donna Karan (the "Queen of Seventh Avenue") made her millions upon millions of dollars from introducing her basically black fashion line by preying on fears and insecurities of women??

All my life I saw fabulous, fierce woman wearing black, and I still do.  I was born & raised in NYC and black is the majority of my wardrobe still today.  I also love color, so I must have diametrically opposed multiple personalities.

Worn correctly, black clothes are effortless, chic, confident, and stunning.  Shows off my jewelry beautifully 😌😉

@Caaareful Shopper  I'm from NY also and you're right, black is a staple in our wardrobes. I've worn mostly black my entire life, it's just a color I have always been drawn to.  I consider myself an extrovert with nothing to hide, lol....Heart

Honored Contributor

I just remembered a funny story about my black wool winter coat.  I don't buy black clothing other than black pants and a few other items.  It's just not a good color on me,

So, one winter, my DH was working with his brother who is a funeral director.  His uniform is a black suit,white shirt and black tie.  In the winter time, a wool black overcoat is needed. He drove the family car from the church to the cemetary.

Earlier, He grabbed MY coat out of the closet instead of his and never noticed until he was at the cemetary on a freezing cold day and had put it on.

He said the sleeves were so short they were elbow length on him. The coat was to his knees though.  He panicked,and thought someone stole his overcoat and he had someone else's.  

Then he figured out what happened when he reached into the pockets... my church cards were left in there,

i asked him if he took the coat off and he said " no way".  He was so cold and my coat was warm and he didn't care how ridiculous he looked.

i thought it was so funny.  I am only 5'1 and he is 5'10.  He said he was not aware that I owned a black coat.

I wish I could have seen him.  His brother laughed.  I don't think anyone else noticed..

Honored Contributor

I don't remember anything in my college psychology course about colors. We studied the brain and human behavior.

I wear black on the bottom frequently. I have several pairs of black pants and a couple of black skirts. I like to wear prints and other colors on top with black on the bottom. I love a black and white print top with solid black pants or skirt. I also own an LBD.  I own a few solid black tops but most of those are sleeveless which means I wear a different color cardigan or blazer over them. I always feel very put together and sharp looking when I wear black outfits.

Btw I am fair skinned, blond, and over 50. 

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

I am going to show a lot of restraint.

I think you're completely wrong in your assessment of why people wear black.  I have nothing to hide by wearing black.  I think it's a flattering color for me.  I wear a lot of white and denim on the bottom and sometimes a printed pant - black always matches.  It plays off my accessories well too. 

Just another way for you to get in a dig...

ITA. I certainly have no figure flaws to hide at size 2-4, no insecurities, not hiding out, etc. I enjoy black as a backdrop for the jewelry I make and colorful accessories I purchase. 

No one should make blanket statements. Each person has a reason for wearing what style/color they choose. No pigeon holing, please.

Honored Contributor

@Iluvhandbags wrote:

@NycVixen wrote:

I'm young and thin and I wear black a lot. I've been told it's my color. I am super light skin and have almost jet black hair. Black makes my face and features stand out. 

This is one of the weirdest posts about 'psychology' I have ever seen. Just because that's why you wear black it doesn't mean that's why other people do it. 

I took plenty of psychology classes and they never covered this. 

So true! In my psych classes, we discussed things like.....oh I don't know....mental illnesses and disorders! Never covered the clothing color choices people make. Weird post for sure. But that is the MO for the OP! She loves to stir the pot.

Oh - well we studied behavior and WHY people act the way they do.This board would take 10 years to analyze.

Trusted Contributor

I'm surprised to see the pile on of the OP!  I studied the psychology of color in graduate school but in a Clothing and Human Behavior course of study.  We do indeed have reactions and associations with individual colors.  There are many differing reactions we can have to black, as an example.  Scholars' robes were traditionally black, as were those of judges, and the clergy.  Black can denote sophistication, power, and authority.  It can also suggest something that is dreary and mournful, like black traditionally worn to funerals.  The "black hats" in movies identified the bad guys as well as members of the mafioso.  How many depictions do we see of black haired angels?  Black is often used during periods of hard financial times as it can signal austerity and a color less likely to show dirt. 

Image consultants who work with lawyers will often advise their clients to avoid wearing black at a trial, much preferring a "sincere suit" of navy blue.

The Lüscher color preference test is a well-established and scientifically valid test.  Of course our associations we have of colors can and do change with the times.  But many of our preferences are biologically, psychologically, and sociologically based.