Super Contributor

Problems with modal/span and rayon/span fabrics?

I'm looking for advice for maintaining some of my t-shirts that I've bought from QVC. I have some Halston t-shirts that are 94% modal and 6% spandex, and some LOGO t-shirts that are 95% rayon and 5% spandex. In all of my t-shirts made in these fabrics, I end up with fuzzy areas on the fronts after just a few wears and washes. I wouldn't say it is pilling, exactly, but it looks like it is worn and trying to turn into flannel, if that makes sense. If you have these fabrics and you are not having this problem, could you share how you are caring for the garments? And if you are having the same problem, have you figured out the cause? And lastly, if you have had this problem with other fabrics, can you let me know which other fabrics are giving you the "fuzzies"?  For now, I am just avoiding purchasing anymore items in these fabrics, but I am sad because I do like these fabrics when I first get them. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Problems with modal/span and rayon/span fabrics?

I have been meaning to post this. Thank you.  I have 20 plus Halston Modal t shirts and just after 3-4 washings, on cold and gentle, they are balling or fuzzing up.  Just like you experienced.  It appears they must be using a very low end modal, if using modal at all.  We should get to the bottom of this. I will no longer purchase Halston t shirts, a waste of money, when it only looks good once the first time you wear it,  BTW, when I wash these halston t shirts, I turn them inside out, so there is no reason on my end for these tshirts to look old and fuzzy after one washing

Honored Contributor

One of the many reasons I NEVER buy a rayon/span blend.  Plenty of other fabrics available that IMO are much better.

Respected Contributor

Yes - I know what you mean. I had it happen to a couple Halston tops and I think for me it was caused by the strap on my crossbody bag (and possibly my seatbelt) rubbing on the fabric.  I quit buying the Halston modal/span tops too. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had it happen on Halston garments.  I have a SG top from years ago and it is still in perfect condition.  I have no problem with KG items either.

Super Contributor

I have a lot of H by Halston modal and LOGO rayon/span and I have no issues with the pilling. I do wash them in cold water, gentle cycle, fluff dry on gentle for about 2 minutes and hang dry on huggable hangers. If this makes a difference I use no fabric softener and use liquid All Free and Clear as my laundry detergent. Hope this is some help.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PreKteacher  The other night I heard on Linea program that there are different grades of fabrics.  The modal used is probably a low grade and the rayon too thus the problems.  I refuse to purchase the Halston modal tops.  I actually purchased one and it felt like a rubberband with so much stretch - no thanks.  I prefer cotton.  Sorry that happened to you.  Such a waste of money but I would complain to Halston and Logo.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@KitCat1 said, there are different grades of all fabrics. If you are having this problem, it is because the quality of the fabric is not a high end grade. Sorry you had this problem.
"To each their own, in all things".