Esteemed Contributor

Re: Prism lenses, if you wear them. Cost, recommendations for provider

Ninjasmom, thank you for your fast reply. My brother-in-law is an optometrist, but I thought these boards would be quicker.

Honored Contributor

I just saw this. Twinny2, and I agree with the optician. I have done a lot of research over the past few days and my friend (who has macular degeneration) was told by some very good ophthalmologists at the teaching medical school where she goes that prisms would not help and I wanted to check and I did, and I agree with Ninjasmom.

Twinny2, I wish you the very best. I am now back on Copaxone injections three times weekly after being on beta interferon, off and now back on another first-line drug.

My neuro-ophthalmologist is from a large teaching medical university as a professor in Neuro-Op. He is partially retired, but the practice with which he is associated has an optical shop downstairs. I feel it would be beneficial if I purchased lenses at that shop as he has a working relationship with them and most likely easier to work things out if there are initial problems.

Honored Contributor

I want to very cautiously mention here that when I was wearing glasses I usually needed to have my prescriptions changed every couple years because of my weakening eye muscles and increasing double vision. In 1992 (I remember distinctly because of the results of this mistake) I decided to try a pair of glasses from a big free standing "discount eyeware" store that is still VERY MUCH in existence. After wearing the new glasses I began to increase worsened double vision at the 10' distance, as well as excruciating headaches. It was the result of an error in the glasses they had made, so instead of saving money, I had wasted it, and had to have new glasses made. From then until my recent surgery, I have used only highly qualified businesses on lists recommended by my eye doctors. Best of luck to all who are seeking relief!

Arty1,

Why do you need prism lenses? Do you have a blind field? I am searching for help for this reason.

Thank you!

Biblelady123

Valued Contributor

@Nonametoday  It all depends on the people at the place where you buy your glasses. I needed prisms due to double vision and my doctor's office was just too much expense for me. I got a recommendation from a friend who said she got her glasses at the local Visionworks.

The people there were wonderful.

The glasses were priced at something I could afford.

The lady that fitted my new glasses even took the nose pieces off my old glasses and replaced them with new. She told me that nose pieces are important to your vision as they keep your glasses in the right place, and they should be replaces and adjusted every year. No one had ever told me that before. I won't be wearing my old glasses unless I need them as a back-up. 

Some store glasses places are very nice, and some not so much. Shop around and see where you feel comfortable.

Honored Contributor

@Biblelady123 wrote:

Arty1,

Why do you need prism lenses? Do you have a blind field? I am searching for help for this reason.

Thank you!

Biblelady123

@Biblelady123   I needed prism lenses for double vision and the other issues that accompany with optic nerve damage.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wear prism lenses and order my glasses online after getting the prescription from my optometrist. Zenni Optical charges $10 extra for prism lenses. If you order glasses online make sure to get the PD (pupil distance), as it is left off many times ...unless you ask for it.