Honored Contributor

Re: Printed vs Solid tops: which is most figure flattering?

I prefer solids, but have recently gotten brave and purchased some "non-print" prints.  Yep; I'm a thrill seeker...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I think fit trumps anything.

I think prints are a lot more forgiving in pants, dresses and skirts that are more form fitting.  Dimples, lumps and bumps, if you have them, aren't as noticeable. 

I like prints and stripes and I like solids.     

I agree ... fit is most important.  Then consider fabric.  Avoid close fitting or clingy knits.

Honored Contributor

@Kardi wrote:

Depends on the print.

I agree. There's no one right answer to this. It depends on the print, the placement, the shape of the garment, and the material used, as well. Some prints work well on one garment and not on another.

Appropriate sizing also matters. Sometimes they will offer a top with a print, details, or construction that will "make you look slimmer." Sure, if you're the right shape and size already. I'm very short, just 5', so if you give me an empire waist dress that's supposed to make a 5' 7" woman look slimmer, that empire waist is not going to be in the same place on me. QVC does not offer a lot of petite tops, but loves to offer very long tops that cover a woman's rear end. Those tops are giant on me.

Trusted Contributor

With my background in tailoring I've always liked color, but the fit is most important. You can wear almost anything if you have the right fit.

Honored Contributor

My opinion is that fit is the most important for a garment to be flattering,

The right print can make you look slimmer,  I am petite, I prefer smaller prints.  I have a 6 ft tall friend, she prefers larger prints.  I once tried to convince her to try on a small printed top.  We both were laughing.  The top looked wrong on her.

I have learned that prints have to be balanced with your height and body size.  Some prints look good on everyone, but not all.  

Respected Contributor

It's a totally personal decision, but I generally avoid prints. I wear some stripes but florals? Never. I think they are unflattering, although I know that some people think they hide figure flaws. Prints may hide individual flaws, but they make thr overall body look bigger. On me, anyway. "Bigger" isn't exactly the look I'm going for, heh heh. I add dashes of color with a bag or in winter I often throw on a scarf for color and pattern.

Respected Contributor

Interesting thread. I think a subtle print can divert attention from figure imperfections. On the other hand, large prints can backfire, especially on shorter people like me.

I mostly wear solids.  But I do like single color prints - one color, or shades of one color, against a white background. They look less busy than a multicolor print, and I think that's why they appeal to me. 

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I think fit trumps anything.

I think prints are a lot more forgiving in pants, dresses and skirts that are more form fitting.  Dimples, lumps and bumps, if you have them, aren't as noticeable. 

I like prints and stripes and I like solids.     

This.

Fit and cut are everything.  Then comes a flattering color whether solid or print.

Honored Contributor

IMO fit is more important than whether the item is solid or printed. If the solid top is too tight it won't hide anything,  and if the print isn't flattering or the right scale for you, that will accentuate certain areas of your body. I wear a lot of solid neutral pants so I prefer a print on top. I wear solid tops with printed skirts. I also have both dresses and skirts in prints and solids. I think prints add variety to my wardrobe. I would get bored with all solid pieces. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honestly, I don't think it actually makes a significant difference. I am very miuch apple shaped thanks to needing prednisone for my asthma, and nothing really hides that fact to a significant degree.

That said - I don't think the large garish prints I see on QVC where they incorporate several different animals in one design or have large florals with an animal background are at all attractive. I prefer a smaller more subtle print.