Esteemed Contributor

Printed vs Solid tops: which is most figure flattering?

I'll be blunt. I've often thought that printed tops "hide" some of my jiggles in my middle (I'm relatively more of an apple) and, therefore, make me look thinner. Sometimes, however, I think prints almost "expand" you a bit, making you look larger than solids. What do you think? Are prints or solids more figure flattering?

Valued Contributor

Re: Printed vs Solid tops: which is most figure flattering?

Depends on the print.

Respected Contributor

It depends on the print.  I prefer prints over solid colors.  However, I do wear solid dark  colors.

Honored Contributor

I find a muted "watercolor" print OK....... but bright, splashy, HUGE prints make me look like a clown.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

I think darker solid fabrics make one look slimmer. Small prints are definitely better than large, loud prints that draw attention to the body. I'm sure you will get many opinions on this since we all have diffferent tastes.

Esteemed Contributor

I have always felt prints are worse than solids unless they are subtle.  I don't like horizontal stripes either but vertical are okay.  Guess it just depends on your body type and how you feel in them.

Respected Contributor

Style and design are factors in how things look on me. I like both solids and prints. I just bought this animal print top from Lord & Taylor. Should go nicely with one of my black or brown leather skirts or pants. Sorry for the tiny photo.

newL&Ttop.jpg

Honored Contributor

I think fit trumps anything.

I think prints are a lot more forgiving in pants, dresses and skirts that are more form fitting.  Dimples, lumps and bumps, if you have them, aren't as noticeable. 

I like prints and stripes and I like solids.     

Respected Contributor

I think it depends on the print.  I like paisley or abstract prints.  I really don't like florals at all.  I just don't like for the printed design to be too busy.   I will say I have more solids than prints, but I have learned that a pretty printed blouse or top can look quite stylish and figure flattering.  I just think subtle is best on me.

Valued Contributor

I prefer printed tops to solids most of the time.  I love color and the jewel tones I like can be too bold in solids. 

All over prints are generally my choice as I feel they do disguise some lumps and help focus remain upwards.

I always wear an all over print when dining out Italian.  LOL