Honored Contributor

Re: Prince William and Kate join the Queen at church at Sandringham today

@ahoymate wrote:

Pearley, ILTH has confused her previous comment. Now she's liking Kate?

Her previous post was a r___ comment disguised as innocent. She just wants to stir the pot.

But wait... While the initial post was, I thought, rather stridently negative with regard to Kate, she is not the one who then indicated Kate to be 'superior'... While I don't remotely agree with her relative assessments of Kate and MM, fair if fair...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@January121 wrote:

@ILTH wrote:

Kate's style is always so dated, matronly and boring. The queen is the queen. Hate her clothes and accessories, but, they're so her.  Love so much of Meghan's clothes. She, usually, looks sleek, modern and youthful (but, not too young). YMMV

@ILTH ..... there is absolutely no comparison between Kate & Meghan .... Kate is by far superior & looks & acts like a future queen

I don't know that I'd say Kate is 'superior'... So much gets down to individual preferences... While I do prefer Kate to her sister in law and find her far more appealing on so many levels, and while I would also agree that by virtue of her nationality, history, training and upbringing she is far better prepared to assume the role of a 'royal', 'superiority' has a sort of judgmental tone that might seem unnecessary...

Woman Wink

The fact is that if things play out as anticipated, William will become king and Kate will be his consort... They will command more and more attention, as coverage of Harry and MM will gradually fade by comparison...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think Meghan has even had a chance to make any sort of impact. I feel very sorry for her. That family of hers. is cashing in. at every turn in the road

Today, I read her father says, until he hears from her , he is going to keep giving interviews. I suspect they are just using her, as a cash cow. Thank heavens, her mother  is a person of  dignity. How she ever got mixed up with that Markle bunch ,escapes me?

Honored Contributor

Meghan wasn't even there, isn't even pictured. But somehow yet another thread turns into a comparison of Meghan and Kate. Complete with calling Kate "superior". In my world we were all created equal. No one human is superior to another, except in their own mind.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I love that Kate dresses like an adult, smart, sophisticated, powerful woman.  We have far too many air-head hoochie girls in the news.

Maybe this will counteract some of that and make adult, smart, sophisticated powerful women a role model again for young women who are smart and might want to grow up to be adult, powerful, women with class and grace.  Not cheap looking women who can only gain attention by making spectacles of themselves. 

If women really want a place at the table and a voice in what makes the world go around, it's time they woke up and realized what it takes to do it. I don't know where that concept went so off the rails. 

If women really want a place at the table?  We already do!  BTW, what do men need to wake up and realize?

It's up to women to earn a place at the table.  It isn't up to men to give it to them.  It's up to anyone to work hard, learn and be part of a team.  It's not easy, but it is not the old boys clubs it used to be in the 1950's and 60's.  Sometimes women have to work a little harder, but that's ok.  So do people of different races, hillbillies and others who may not fit the mold.

But understand that almost everyone at any table are there because it was worth the sacrifice to them to get there.  

@Sooner  

As a woman, and what you would no doubt term a “hillbilly” (WOW), I climbed the corporate ladder wearing heels and a skirt as Required by the dress code.  No man ever made a space at the table for me, nor did I expect / want said.

Earned my spot and held it through education, experience, and working harder, longer, and smarter.  

I believe many women here can say the same.

@Drythe  And that is my point.  I think getting to the "table" so to speak takes a lot more than a lot of people are willing to give.  I am like you, I made my way in the world as you did: education, experience and hard work.  I say that because as a "hillbilly" someone raised in poor, small town America with an unfortunate accent back in my childhood days, there were changes I had to make, work I had to do, and criticism of myself I had to make. 

I'm just saying if someone like me can make it, most people can, but you have to do what it takes.  Which it sounds like you did.  I applaud your good sense, hard work, and dedication.  You paved the way for many women to follow!  

Esteemed Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

Pearley, ILTH has confused her previous comment. Now she's liking Kate?

Her previous post was a r___ comment disguised as innocent. She just wants to stir the pot.

You are incorrect.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I love that Kate dresses like an adult, smart, sophisticated, powerful woman.  We have far too many air-head hoochie girls in the news.

Maybe this will counteract some of that and make adult, smart, sophisticated powerful women a role model again for young women who are smart and might want to grow up to be adult, powerful, women with class and grace.  Not cheap looking women who can only gain attention by making spectacles of themselves. 

If women really want a place at the table and a voice in what makes the world go around, it's time they woke up and realized what it takes to do it. I don't know where that concept went so off the rails. 

If women really want a place at the table?  We already do!  BTW, what do men need to wake up and realize?

It's up to women to earn a place at the table.  It isn't up to men to give it to them.  It's up to anyone to work hard, learn and be part of a team.  It's not easy, but it is not the old boys clubs it used to be in the 1950's and 60's.  Sometimes women have to work a little harder, but that's ok.  So do people of different races, hillbillies and others who may not fit the mold.

But understand that almost everyone at any table are there because it was worth the sacrifice to them to get there.  

@Sooner  

As a woman, and what you would no doubt term a “hillbilly” (WOW), I climbed the corporate ladder wearing heels and a skirt as Required by the dress code.  No man ever made a space at the table for me, nor did I expect / want said.

Earned my spot and held it through education, experience, and working harder, longer, and smarter.  

I believe many women here can say the same.

@Drythe  And that is my point.  I think getting to the "table" so to speak takes a lot more than a lot of people are willing to give.  I am like you, I made my way in the world as you did: education, experience and hard work.  I say that because as a "hillbilly" someone raised in poor, small town America with an unfortunate accent back in my childhood days, there were changes I had to make, work I had to do, and criticism of myself I had to make. 

I'm just saying if someone like me can make it, most people can, but you have to do what it takes.  Which it sounds like you did.  I applaud your good sense, hard work, and dedication.  You paved the way for many women to follow!  

I don't think that this answer is at all related to your original answer tearing down women.  

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Trusted Contributor

@qbetzforreal

Thank you. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kate is not only dressig for "now"; she is the future Queen Consort and I'm sure she is keeping it simple for future's sake, too.

And now for something different, everyone who wants to can make fun of my hair in the photo. lol.

Here I am with Prince Philip in 1995'ish. I used to do a lot of volunteer work at the US Equestrian Team in Gladstone, NJ. There was an International Driving Event that year.

I was a scorekeeper at one of the obstacles for the cross country competition. Teams with four-in-hands (four horses) had to go a long distance and maneuver some pretty hairy obstacles every few miles. I was keeping score at the water obstacle.

So I'm standing there writing down scores and this guy with an English accent walks up and tells me what lovely handwriting I have. He then flirted a little with me and told me I was pretty. I had NO idea who he was.

One of the other volunteers jabbed me with her elbow and hissed in my ear, "Do you have ANY IDEA who you are talking to!!!???".

I turned to say no, who is he, and there were about two hundred people standing there snapping photos. My fellow volunteer then enlightened me that is was Prince Philip. Luckily for me, one of the people taking photos found out who I was and sent me the prints, as this was pre-cell phone camera days. I have about five shots.

If you look REALLY closely you can see a guy in the background with a tv camera. One of the Prince's TWO security guys (!!) was shooshing him away.

I had a very nice conversation with the Prince.

And yes, I know my hair was hideous. I was hungover that morning and used about a gallon of hairspray, lol. I was in my thirties.

carol and prince phillip.jpg

Respected Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

Kate's style is always so dated, matronly and boring. The queen is the queen. Hate her clothes and accessories, but, they're so her.  Love so much of Meghan's clothes. She, usually, looks sleek, modern and youthful (but, not too young). YMMV

Kate will be Queen one day. Who knows where Meg will be?  She still needs to learn how to behave like a Royal. Clean hair and no shorty short dresses like we saw in New Zealand.