Esteemed Contributor

Prices of clothing and comparison of quality

I check QVC when I am having a snack or on down time.  Normally I am not a watcher anymore. I love color and design when I buy tops. I like plain and easy when I buy bottoms. 

This comment is mostly about tops.  Those of you who buy from QVC and have a way to compare with other sources do you find the QVC offerings worth the price?  I check in, look at what is being offered and I translate what I see and buy from Walmart or online catalogue choices (on sale).  I really don't feel that I am "hurting" from the much much lower prices for the same look.  

In other words is a $40-$60 dollar top from the Q so much better than a $15 or less from Walmart (for example) with the same look.  

I will admit I am doing rather well with my favorite place to shop  ZULILY with lower prices and free shipping after the first buy of the day or weekend. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Prices of clothing and comparison of quality

I do still watch QVC, though much less than in past years.  And I do end up buying occasionally.  I'm at that stage of life and finances when it doesn't really impact me much if I buy something that is a little more costly than I would in the past.  I don't do it often, but much more now than when I was younger.

But just because I do it, doesn't mean I feel I'm getting my money's worth on those occasions. 

When I shop in real stores, I usually find as nice, or nicer things at much, much more affordable prices.  I find really great things in Marshall's or TJMaxx, I can even find really cute things in Target, or even Walmart.  I browse everywhere.

When I find those things I will often think "why do I buy from QVC or online stores like Nordstroms, when I do so much better price-wise when I stick to Marshall's?"

Well ,  I guess it's just impulse buying when I buy from TV shopping channels or online.  It's a pleasant moment.

If someone is really needing to watch their dollars carefully or just want to be doing so, I think the places you talk about are always a better option.

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu   I'm like you... I like colorful and patterned tops, and solid pants.  I probably shouldn't be answering, though  .... I don't shop Walmart, so can't comment on those clothes.  But I do look for value.  

I don't buy a lot of clothes online, as I like to try things on and shipping costs for returns are too high to take the risk.  But I do appreciate that the shopping channels provide garment measurements and reviews, and take a chance every now and then.  

QVC had free shipping on Sunday, which I discovered late in the evening.  I scrambled to look through the offerings, and did order three Susan Graver tops ... all on sale.  They are on their way, and I hope I love them!

This is what I ordered.... The total, with tax, was $70.  Not too bad.

A284781No Image Found
A253258
No Image Found

A287670No Image Found
Honored Contributor

This is hard to answer because it's not a hard yes or no answer.  I've had great luck with cheap clothing from Walmart, to use them as an example, and I've had bad luck with cheap clothing from Walmart.  OTOH the same has happened to me with more expensive clothing. Some has been good and some has been bad.   

I try to figure out how much I'm going to wear an item.  If it's something I'm going to wear all the time, the black pants, I don't mind spending more money.  Trendy pieces I absolutely will not spend a lot of money on. 

A number of years ago, I bought a MarlaWynne butterfly top from HSN.  It was more then I'd normally spend on a simple top of that material.  To this day I still have that top and I wear it to death.  At the time I hesitated purchasing it because of the price but my cost per wear is probably less than a penny.  LOL  

Esteemed Contributor

That is a tough question.  I try so hard not to impulse buy anymore and I think I am being successful.   I always "save" an item and give it more thought before purchasing and that is helping me alot.  Also not watching the Q as much as I used to,  As far as price vs. quality I think there are so many different materials used  and some cost more than others.  Depends where the garment was made and how well........for the most part if it's a nicely made piece for a reasonable price then you scored!   You just have to be patient as almost all things will end up on clearance, on the Q and at the B&M stores, and if you can wait you will get a good quality piece of clothing for less money.

Respected Contributor

Interesting conversation. For me, I look to QVC for unusual items I cannot find similarly locally, or for dirt-cheap sales.  (QVC has been doing a better job of "sales" lately, what with clearance, as-is, etc.) 

I live a a good size city, and have multiple shopping options availabe.  For the most part, I feel I can find similar quality for less money locally.  Hosts go on and on about the quality of the items being better on Q than in regular stores, but that is not what I find.  Including sometimes Walmart.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

Grace's Garden No-Iron Shirt, White Multi, large I

I love this shirt. It's from Coldwater Creek a company I have never ordered from. It is $79 which is more that I usually pay for, but I am considering it because of it unique flower pattern. If I order it and it is excellent quality great, but if it is not,well, that's not so good. So, sometimes it's good to try something that is out of your price range.

Respected Contributor

I'm totally with the OP.  Once you get away from that impulse buy mentality you are a much better shopper.  Like some of you, it isn't always about what you can afford, but what makes good shopping sense.  I have no problem duplicating a fashion look for much less money than what I see on shopping channels. 

Honored Contributor

Unless it comes with a certificate of quality, like diamonds from Tiffany's, then what you buy these days seems like a gamble to me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only buy from QVC if there is a signficant price reduction on an item and either free or reduced shipping.  SG and D&C are the brands I purchase most often but there is nothing unique about them and I can usually find similar items at Macy's or Marshalls cheaper and no s&h.

IMO for many people QVC is an addiction.  They purchase on impulse or because they like the host (??!!!) 

Also I have found that paying $20 for a top is a better deal than paying $40+.  I do not want my clothes to "last forever" and cannot ever remember getting rid of an item of clothing because it wore out even if it was "cheap".