Frequent Contributor

Re: Prices of clothing and comparison of quality

I have been a QVC shopper for over 20 years.  The quality of clothing that is now offered has gone way down.  I used to buy lots of clothing but QVC has finally drove me to the mall!!  I can go to Macy's and buy better quality at better prices. The return costs at QVC are ridiculous.  If you order something and it doesn't fit they charge $6.95 to send it back and they don't refund the $3.50 initial cost of shipping the item to you.  I finally figured it out.  Lower the quality of items, charge a ridiculous price to send the item back and don't refund initial cost of shipping.  They must be making a fortune just on customer's shipping costs.

Trusted Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

Grace's Garden No-Iron Shirt, White Multi, large I

I love this shirt. It's from Coldwater Creek a company I have never ordered from. It is $79 which is more that I usually pay for, but I am considering it because of it unique flower pattern. If I order it and it is excellent quality great, but if it is not,well, that's not so good. So, sometimes it's good to try something that is out of your price range.

I have never had a problem with Coldwater Creek but one time.  I received an outfit that was three pieces skirt, tank and short sleeve jacket and the jacket had a flaw.  I called them and they told me to keep it and they were reshipping me a new outfit.  Now that is service if you ask me.  I have been shopping with them for years say 18. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would say No and No. A $40-$90 top is not worth what you pay for here. Sorry to burst  bubbles for some of you but its true. There is a huge markup on clothing items. So, im assuming a top for $60 made in china was paid for $5. Im not sure about the split between the vendor and Q but im guessing the vendor takes $25 and Q takes $30?? who knows...

Ive had to return a lot of clothes because when i get them home, the quality is just not there. 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Honored Contributor

@bonnielu  I believe QVC owns Zulily.  I do find that Martha Stewart's clothes are quality at a reasonable price.  I always felt that prices should be lower on a shopping network because you don't try on and you are paying for shipping.  However, QVC keeps raising prices and soon they will price me out to shop in my local area.  At Walmart you have to pick and choose.  I find their intimate apparel good quality and reasonable.  I also like their pull on jeans.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

What I buy at QVC is comparable to what I buy elsewhere.  At QVC I buy mostly SG, Lisa Rinna, LOGO, and Bob Mackie.  But - I do like the D&Co. original waist pants and buy a few pairs each season.   I liked C Wonder - too bad they have been phased out.  Great shirts!

Other than QVC, I shop at LandsEnd, Chico's, JCPenney, Nordstrom's Rack, Coldwater Creek, Hanes, Burlington, Amazon, and occasinally Soft Surroundings.  LandsEnd and JCP get most of my clothing shopping dollars.  Other than Chico's, I can't compare price and quality.  I buy different things from different places.  SG's tops and Chico's tops are close in qualty and close in price.  

I once bought a t-shirt at Walmart (March, 2009).  I was out-of-town on personal business and needed a short sleeve shirt after weather turned unseasonably warm.  I still have it!  I wear it as a night shirt!  Normally, I buy my t-shirts from LandsEnd ... no comparison.  LandsEnd has much better merchandise than 2009 Walmart!  Even Hanes has much better quality than 2009 Walmart.  A few months ago I walked through Target with a friend ... not for me!

Respected Contributor

I've learned to purchase the majority of my tees from Target. Regular price for rayon/span was $8, and they were recently on sale for 3/$20. I bought the "expensive"  tees with modal in them there for less than $10. Target carries a variety of colors for each season. I've been buying jeans, cardigans, and not-so-basic tops from Macy's online when they have them on sale. When Q has something unique & stylish that fits my wardrobe, I buy it only if it's at a decent price.