Honored Contributor

Re: Prices of clothing and comparison of quality

I am not hard on my clothing.  I can have an item of clothing forever if I want to keep it that long.  So, unless I want something for a special occasion, it is not really necessary for me to always buy something that is the most expensive.

I realize that the growing trend seems to be purchasing on line but honestly, I just don't seem to do as well buying clothing items on line for several reasons.

First of all, I enjoy shopping for real.  I like getting to see the real thing --- touching the fabric, seeing the colors and patterns, trying things on, etc.  

Second, when I buy things on line, I don't feel I get a real sense of what the document really looks like - color, fabric, how the document will hang or really look on me.

Third, then there is the matter of S & H.  Usually you have to pay for that to be sent to you and then chances are for me --- I am not pleased with the quality, fabric, color, fit --- or just plain-- that the item does not look the same in person as it does on line --- then I have to end up paying for S & H to send it back.  This is a big pain --- not to mention - more additional money being wasted.  What is the advantage to this???

I do see clothing at times on the Q that I think is nice, but the majority of the time I believe the item I like is too expensive and for reasons mentioned above, I don't order it.  

I can, generally speaking, go to a store or stores and find something I like just as much for far less - have it immediately - and know that it is exactly what I want!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

Grace's Garden No-Iron Shirt, White Multi, large I

I love this shirt. It's from Coldwater Creek a company I have never ordered from. It is $79 which is more that I usually pay for, but I am considering it because of it unique flower pattern. If I order it and it is excellent quality great, but if it is not,well, that's not so good. So, sometimes it's good to try something that is out of your price range.

@Squirrel Lover 

I think you can savemore on that top. Cat Wink

Respected Contributor

I have stopped purchasing clothes from QVC. I use to buy from Susan Graver. Haven't done so in many, many years. Her quality has gone way down hill and her prints are just awful. Sizing is inconsistant, and then there is her ridiculous pricing.  I can purchase similar tops that are better fitting, cost less, and made of the same fabric (she just uses polyester) at Macy's, Dress Barn, Penny's, etc.  My gardening clothes on the other hand, I want well made so I get them from LL Bean, Kittery Trading Post and am willing to pay a bit extra for it. Want these to last longer then one season.

Honored Contributor

I go by what I like whether it is on QVC, HSN, Evine or online or in a B&M store.  If in my mind it is worth it I will pay a little more, if not then I dont get it.  Its really a cr@p shoot for me.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I would describe myself as a fashionista, I love fashion and I shop a lot.  Your post mystified me.  I suppose there are women who put all that thought into buying clothes.  I don't.  That would suck all the fun out of the shopping experience.  That's for sure.  I shop Zulily and also Evine for tops now, got back from vacation yesterday and there was a package waiting for me.  I still buy most of my pants and jeans from QVC because I have 3 favorite designers who I know have the fabric and cut that works best for me.  I stick with them and I don't let myself get tempted to try other designers when it comes to pants and jeans.    I don't buy luxury items, I'm not spending $100 or $200 or tops or anything else.  Wherever I shop, I look at the fabric content.  THAT is what tells me what the quality and durability of the item is.  I also know my true measurements and I don't have a "dream" size.  I accept that retailers have various sizes so I don't care if I have to buy a L at one retailer and a 2X at another.  I only care about the measurements and fit.  After that, it's easy for me.  I don't care or even wonder if I can find a similar top somewhere else for $40.  

Esteemed Contributor

For warm weather tops and T's, I think Lands End has the best value.

I used to buy some nice T's and tops at WM and Target. What I have seen in recent seasons is cheap junk.

I never go wrong at the Q when buying Linea. Yesterday I received A308470, navy T with buttons at shoulders. Ordered on f/s day, so it was under $30.00.

I enjoy wearing my good quality clothing from past seasons. Already paid for.

Honored Contributor

My research is mainly how much s/h is, and how much more my states sales tax adds to it.  And I never want to pay full price;  I wait for sales. I can't justify paying $40 or 50  for one thing when most times, I can get at least a couple. Plus QVC shipping time is a joke.  I now  buy where I can try stuff on and walk out the store with it. Also, I'm home now so I don't need that much anymore.

Honored Contributor

I do not enjoy shopping so I do purchase online.  Many stores will often have flash sales where items are 40% off for one day.  If there is a blouse or sweater than I want at J. Crew, Anne Taylor, Talbots, etc.  I will wait for it and grab it on sale.  I also like the fact that most of the stores I shop at have B&M presence at a nearby mall so I can return (if necessary) without mailing.  I currently have a blouse to return to Anthropolgie next week.  

Trusted Contributor

@Squirrel Lover   Did you buy that shirt?   If not, you should because it's adorable.   Also Coldwater clothes are definitely worth the price you pay.   I'm wearing a shirt rignt now that I bought probably 10 yrs ago and it still looks great and washes well.  

Trusted Contributor

@Junebug54  Yes, I did! It is backordered until May 2 thought. I also ordered a plain white one. Like Mary. Beth Roe I really enjoy a crisp white shirt!

(got 20% off and free shipping.