Esteemed Contributor

I am a bargain shopper.  I do like fashion, perhaps own or keep more than I should but the prices I am willing to pay are rather low.  I shop AS IS, Clearance from the Q  and online I shop Blair and Zulily. And of course Costco and Walmart  as I shop for groceries.  

When  I see prices  presented and items are over $60 for items I usually pay less than $15 I am wondering 1. is the product so much better because the price is higher? 2. is the fabric better? 3.  is quality the factor than causes the price to be  so high?

Are you all paying top price for bags, shoes, clothing items and finding they are well worth it?

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I am a bargain shopper.  I do like fashion, perhaps own or keep more than I should but the prices I am willing to pay are rather low.  I shop AS IS, Clearance from the Q  and online I shop Blair and Zulily. And of course Costco and Walmart  as I shop for groceries.  

When  I see prices  presented and items are over $60 for items I usually pay less than $15 I am wondering 1. is the product so much better because the price is higher? 2. is the fabric better? 3.  is quality the factor than causes the price to be  so high?

Are you all paying top price for bags, shoes, clothing items and finding they are well worth it?

@bonnielu , As a long time shopper at many different places and price points I've discovered that you don't always get what you pay for. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

@bonnielu   I am a bargain shopper too.  The majority of my clothing comes from Macys.  I just can't justify spending money on comparable items....especially summer clothes like tees or crop pants.  I also like Land's End for things like jackets especially when I can get something at an off season price.  
So...no I don't pay the high prices...I just shop the sales.   Less guilt.  😊

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu 

I'm really frugal .... I don't buy "cheap things," but I only buy good stuff that's on sale - whether it's QVC, LandsEnd, JCP, Chico's, Blair - or anywhere else.  

I can't even remember the last time I paid full price for any clothes, shoes, etc., etc. 

Around QVC ... lunchtime specials is where I usually shop.  

Elsewhere - everyday I get emails for sales.  Around the time of my birthday - lots of "birthday" discounts.  There's really no need for me to pay full price.

The only things I don't bargain-hunt are my food, medical care,  eyeglasses, hearing aids, dentist, etc.  I'll get the best.

------------------------------

@bonnielu wrote:

Respected Contributor

I shop for an item when I need it. Price is not the driving factor, but it does influence my decision. Today I purchased a Michael Kors tote from Macy's because of a post I read here. I have been needing a new tote for a while and there it was at a greatly reduced price on a one day only sale.

I prefer to buy quality over quantity. If I am physically in a store, I can easily spot the difference. The best flannel shirts that I own are from Walmart. I spotted them on the way to the checkout. They had them one season, and they were as good as any I have ever seen in any store.

Online shopping has not been a success for me. I am most times disappointed.  No low price is worth spending on items lacking quality and longevity.

Honored Contributor

My clothes come primarily from Talbots and J Jill.  And this year, I bought a few tops at TJ Max, my first time there. I had gained some weight and, until I lose it all, I needed some tops and didn't want to pay a lot for a size I'm hoping to leave behind.

Full disclosure though.  Even though I'm a big Birkenstock and purse shopper, I don't buy many clothes.  I just don't have a need for a ton of clothes.  So, since I don't buy a ton of clothes, I buy from Talbots and J Jill and shop their sales or get price adjustments if I do pay full price for something.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I've always bought good quality bras and shoes. Since I retired I wear casual clothes and buy what fits and is comfortable. There's zero correlation for me between fit and price. None.

My favorite story that I previously posted here is of Ralph Lauren being interviewed at his ranch. The interviewer complimented him on his flannel shirt and asked if it was one of his designs.  He said it was from KMart who sells the best flannel shirts anywhere (old interview).

Honored Contributor

Re: Price point question.

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't say I'm a bargain hunter, but I do like it when I get something I need or like on sale. I'm not usually a buyer of high end expensive designer clothing either. As far as QVC, I don't buy as much as I used to, because I can find similar things for less in my local stores. If I really love an item, and I don't want to take the chance of my size being unavailable later, I will buy it for a higher price, whether it be the Q or some other retailer. 

I have clothes from lots of stores and brands. I have a solid black Anne Klein wrap dress that I found at Marshall's for $10! 😱 Now, that was a bargain! Since I started shopping a local consignment store, I'm finding some nice items at great prices there! 

Personally, I will not spend $50 on a basic t-shirt. If it's a nicer top or sweater, $50 is more acceptable to me, but I usually spend less than that. I am willing to invest more in good classic tailored trousers and jeans because it's more difficult for me to find a good fit. I will also pay more for blazers and outerwear. 

Esteemed Contributor

I love shoes and over the years I have bought many Vince Camuto dress shoes from HSN. These shoes would start off at over $120 and I would watch them as time went by.

HSN would notify you when the price decreases and how many are left in your size. When it gets to $39 and my size is still available I buy it. I was always so lucky and was able to buy enough pairs of shoes.

When someone sees my shoes and they know Vince Camuto they would think I spent a lot and I let them think I did also.

Esteemed Contributor
I shop in stores so I can inspect garments before I buy them. Even cheapo shorts and tees. When I worked in the corporate world, I bought more expensive, higher quality suits, etc. But usually went cheap on weekend clothes. Since retirement, I'm a serious bargain shopper!

Back in the old days I trusted Q's Dialogue brand for dress slacks, Motto for sweaters, and D&Co for casual clothes. Those days are gone. Gone.
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt