Respected Contributor

Preserving Luxurious Garments

Thought I'd anticipate the holiday parties by buying the Bob Mackie long sleeve sequined top which is beautiful and the Colleen Lopez beaded asymmetrical poncho which is also a piece of art.  

They are in my closet and I want to keep them in pristine condition.  What would you recommend I use to cover them and still let the fabrics breathe?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

Re: Preserving Luxurious Garments

@pommom wrote:

Thought I'd anticipate the holiday parties by buying the Bob Mackie long sleeve sequined top which is beautiful and the Colleen Lopez beaded asymmetrical poncho which is also a piece of art.  

They are in my closet and I want to keep them in pristine condition.  What would you recommend I use to cover them and still let the fabrics breathe?

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

@pommom wrote:

Oops, sorry....

I don't know about the poncho, but I've successfully taken kind sized cotton pillow case and cut a little hole in the top to allow the hanger top to go through the hole and  found that the cotton pillowcase would protect my garment and still allow the garment to "breathe".....   I've also used pillowcases (smaller ones still cotton) for my purses and they've worked great for that too.... Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

kind sized = king sized

Honored Contributor

I have two garment holders in my closet with cedar sides and the rest is canvas that I purchased many years ago at Saks 5th Ave.  I have one full length one and one that is suit sized.  I put all garments that need special care in those.

Trusted Contributor

@Q4u

I also use cotton pillowcases just like Q4U.    I cover leather and suede jackets and other items that I want to keep clean but also allow them to  breathe.

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Respected Contributor

Garment bags.  I bought a set of three breathable ones from Amazon in Sept.  I paid around $25 for the set.

Respected Contributor

Garment bags it is!!!  Thanks, all.  Smiley Happy

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Anything sequined should absolutely not be hung on a hanger.  Sequined garments are pretty heavy and eventually the weight of the garment will cause it to stretch out if hung.  The sequined top should be turned inside out, folded and put in a breathable sweater bag.